Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2005, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

NICE SET UP, AGREE W/BARE QUARINTINE BUT PERHAPS A PIECE OF PVC PIPE FOR THE FISH TO HIDE WOULD FURTHER REDUCE THEIR STESS. JUST MY 2 CENTS
Old 10/07/2005, 06:59 PM
In over my head!

Both tanks do have PVC fittings in them. You can see one in the more recent clown pictures. One of the clowns has been 'hosting' on top of the PVC, the other swims through it every once in a while. I'm going to pick up a larger diameter fitting for the tang, he's too big to swim into the 2" fitting. Perhaps 3 or 4".
Old 10/07/2005, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to say how much ive enjoyed the read on this thread... Started following at around page 25. Very nice setup. I admire you craftsmanship with the stand and canopy. Hoping to do something that nice in the future.

If it isnt too much trouble, would you care to post up a high res copy of the pic with the naso tang school? Thats the wallpaper on my home and office comp right now! :-)

Keep it up with your system.

DIY never saves money.. just makes for a nice weekend project.
Old 10/08/2005, 04:00 PM
In over my head!

Thanks Cosper,

Here's the hi-res pic your requested, 1600x1200:

Old 10/08/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the pic... Looking forward to seeing that tank full of coral!

Old 10/08/2005, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

new desktop!!!!!!!
thanks
Old 10/09/2005, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Excellent picture of the Naso Tangs! Glad to hear that the fish are getting better. Super job on the spreading coralline... pretty soon the Base Rock will blend in perfectly with the LR.
Old 10/09/2005, 11:03 PM
In over my head!

I think I'm too critical. The school of nasos was awesome in person, but the picture isn't one of my best, especially looking at it full-size.

We finally installed handles on the doors to the stand and canopy. A much overdue item, but it looks great and very finished now.

One of the clam/oyster/bivalve hitchhikers disappeared literally overnight (I saw him yesterday), but I have a pretty good idea who may be responsible.

More scheduled water changes for the QT critters today. The tang's eye looked a little cloudy this afternoon, and sure enough, when I tested ammonia it was up to .25ppm again. Talk about your canary in a coal mine, he's letting me know if anything is less than optimal. I'll be keeping a close watch on this going forward.

Water changes are pretty simple now for the QTs. I have a 31g rubbermaid bin that I fill with buckets of RO/DI and seasoned water from the display tank (which gets freshly mixed saltwater) to match the 1.009sg of the QTs. Then it's a simple matter of siphoning water out and pumping new water back in with a MJ1200.

Oh, and tell my wife she should go ahead and register here on RC. She's been debating it for a few days, and I'm trying to get her to. Since we got the fish she's been browsing the boards here and there, and recently read through this entire thread. We're very close to having her hooked.
Old 10/09/2005, 11:41 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

that tank and cabinet looks amazing...can't wait to see all filled up

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/10/2005, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Jeff,
This tank looks awesome! I am really glad things are looking up for the new fish. Great job of pulling them through that tough time!

That really is a beautiful picture, and as such it has found a home as my background!

What sort of reactor are you using for Calcium? Also, do you plan to section part of your sump as a refugium? Thanks, and keep up the great photos!

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it" Albert Einstein
Old 10/10/2005, 08:38 AM
Team RC Member

Nice thread! I just got done reading through it.
Old 10/10/2005, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Your LR is awesome... Im wondering tho, why havent you added coral yet? Just taking your time?

Old 10/10/2005, 10:11 AM
In over my head!

I'm planning to start adding coral as soon as I get the chiller running and finish messing with my drain plumbing. In other words, very soon.

Lately I've been keeping my eyes open for a good place to buy corals from, still not entirely decided. First, I will probably pick up a frag from someone local, kind of as a guinea pig to make sure there's nothing wrong in the tank - water quality, carnivorous critters, etc. I don't want to place a big order somewhere and have everything disintegrate when it hits the water.

I imagine stocking this thing is going to take some time though....willing to accept frag donations

Last edited by jeffbrig; 10/10/2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10/10/2005, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffbrig
I'm planning to start adding coral as soon as I get the chiller running and finish messing with my drain plumbing. In other words, very soon.

Lately I've been keeping my eyes open for a good place to buy corals from, still not entirely decided. First, I will probably pick up a frag from someone local, kind of as a guinea pig to make sure there's nothing wrong in the tank - water quality, carnivorous critters, etc. I imagine stocking this thing is going to take some time though....
Youve got more patience than I do!

Old 10/10/2005, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Jeff,
I can only imagine how long it will take to stock up, but once it is...man, it will be beautiful! Keep us posted!

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it" Albert Einstein
Old 10/10/2005, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Yes of course the wife should register here on RC! She will really enjoy it and learn more about this wonderful hobby once she joins and begins reading and posting.

Starting slowly is the best/ most prudent way to take setting up reef tanks. You are doing it right even though I know you want to get some amazing corals set up in that big tank.
Old 10/11/2005, 08:37 AM
In over my head!

I'm trying to get the last of the chiller issues worked out, so I posted this thread in the equipment forum.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=686589

I welcome suggestions in either thread.

I'm finally becoming impatient about getting this finished so I can start stocking.
Old 10/11/2005, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Jeff,first I read about your chiller issue & I'd go with whichever is easier to put together & does less to impact the house(like you stated -resale issue).I would use the cut down extension cord,connected to the chiller & run through the wall.I have (I'd have to check size)a 1" masonary drill bit,that is long enough to go through a block wall if you need to borrow it.
Secondly I'll lend/give you a couple of frags(Xenia,an acro & a monti if you want),on the condition,I can get a frag of something nice from you in the future sometime.LMK,regards,Darcy.
Old 10/12/2005, 07:49 AM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by 45commando
Jeff,first I read about your chiller issue & I'd go with whichever is easier to put together & does less to impact the house(like you stated -resale issue). I would use the cut down extension cord,connected to the chiller & run through the wall.I have (I'd have to check size)a 1" masonary drill bit,that is long enough to go through a block wall if you need to borrow it.

That's the direction I was heading last night. I have a set of 12" long masonry bits, so I should be good to go there.

Quote:
Originally posted by 45commando
Secondly I'll lend/give you a couple of frags(Xenia,an acro & a monti if you want),on the condition,I can get a frag of something nice from you in the future sometime.LMK,regards,Darcy.
Deal. I think it's a great idea to share coral frags with other locals. It's the best insurance against a major tank loss - you can always get frags of your best corals back!

That red monti in your gallery is awesome, BTW! How long has that tank been running?
Old 10/12/2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Jeff,this actual tank was set up the end of last year,but most of the softies & a couple of fish have been with me for about 9 years.I have a piece of the orange monti cap you can have too.Let me know when your ready & I'll keep a few frags put aside for you.
Old 10/12/2005, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

Jeff

That is one of the best furniture work I have seen. How did you manage not to scratch the tank? I still lack courage to work with acrylic tank.

Like your reefscaping very much, any fish yet? Mind take more tank/furniture pictures from different angles? Can't get enough of it
Old 10/13/2005, 09:22 AM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
That is one of the best furniture work I have seen. Mind take more tank/furniture pictures from different angles? Can't get enough of it
Thanks jacmyoung! I'll see what I can do with some more pictures.

Quote:
How did you manage not to scratch the tank? I still lack courage to work with acrylic tank.
The acrylic wasn't bad hard to work around, just make sure nothing sharp ever gets around it. During most of the construction, it was safely in the garage. We brought it in when the stand was compete. The canopy frame was built in the garage, which was then set on the tank, and the finish panels were attached with an air nailer.

Now that it's running, I'm very cautious in cleaning it. I use a kent pro scraper handle with their fabric algae pad to wipe down. For scraping coralline, I shove a credit card into the handle and use it as a scraper (safer on the acrylic than the kent acrylic blade). There are a few micro scratches already, but they're only visible from certain angles when the tank lights are off.

Quote:

Like your reefscaping very much, any fish yet?
I have 2 percula clowns and an achilles tang in QT as we speak. They have a few more weeks to go before I move them into the display tank.
Old 10/13/2005, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Jeff, when our house was being built, we ordered the same cabinet finish in the house, our builder called it "alder spice." I later added door handles myself also, I guess it was a trendy thing to do.

All I am saying is if your tank was in our house next to the kitchen, it would be a perfect match

Now that I look at your picture more, we painted our dinning room similar color as your kitchen nook behind the tank, even our hardwood floors are alike--except minus the tank. Oh well can't have everything.

At least I will soon have a tank of my own in the living room. This will be my third tank. Every time I got around to setup a tank, we ended up moving to a new place. If this should happen again, mind if I knock on your door and ask you to build my next tank?

Last edited by jacmyoung; 10/13/2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10/13/2005, 01:22 PM
In over my head!

Quote:
we ordered the same cabinet finish in the house, our builder called it "alder spice."
Ours is actually maple with a ginger glaze finish, but you're right, the two are very similar.

Quote:

If this should happen again, mind if I knock on your door and ask you to build my next tank?
I think I said this to someone else before....if I gave you a price, you'd swear I was trying to rip you off. Furniture grade cabinetry is not cheap by any means.
Old 10/13/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

just finished reading all this... really helpful. your tanks looks great, looks like something i want to do in the future. I just sent up a much smaller 55gal and it is very addicting... so much to learn. I'm still learning about water testing and what to add so this thread was really very helpful. Good luck in the future.