Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

lol i think that would go down as the worst date in history!
Old 06/22/2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

or the best if those crabs are all female

I sent him a total of 8 gorilla crabs, one tiny decorator crab, and one snail we suspect to be a whelk.

I've already pulled another identical snail out (identical except larger) and i'm still working on getting the two large gorillas out, maybe we'll have round two sometime in july
Old 06/23/2006, 08:59 AM
Got frags?

Tim will have a good time no matter what! Hopefully he doesn't employ those gorillas in his scheme to take over the world. That could be disaster waiting to happen!
Old 06/24/2006, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

oh yeah...gorilla warfare....not pretty
Old 06/25/2006, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Guerilla crabs..... the newest threat to Hometank Security. President Tim says, "You're either with me, or against me."

-Mark Twain
Old 06/27/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

DM - your pm box is full, so ill reply here:

it figure they didn't make it - i'll keep pulling them out anyway, there are still at least three more gorillas and two more of those snails in the tank.

might have been too many organisms for such a small volume of water... maybe a few at a time in the future.
Old 06/28/2006, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for this thread densityman. I'm going to have to get a mantis for my next tank. Tim is great! Just wondering if you have any basic tank specs.
Old 06/28/2006, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for this thread densityman. I'm going to have to get a mantis for my next tank. Tim is great! Just wondering if you have any basic tank specs.
Old 06/29/2006, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

one of my "big" gorilla crabs made a mistake today - and i caught him. he's about 1" across and is living in my sump until i can catch the other three, one large one medium one small
Old 07/06/2006, 03:06 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
one of my "big" gorilla crabs made a mistake today - and i caught him. he's about 1" across and is living in my sump until i can catch the other three, one large one medium one small
Tim's already drooling again at the mere thought of it Safir (especially after being teased the last time - I opened the container right in front of him...)

So where'd we leave off?

I left for a trip back in time and then almost immediately upon returning went to Vegas for a 'relaxing' vacation (if you think stomatopods can be cruel you should spend some time playing roulette; really puts cruelty in perspective). Before leaving for Vegas Tim got treated to a grab bag of snails including 5 astrea of medium build, some parasite-infested turbo shells (the parasites in question were the pointy calcified variety - Tim destroyed/consumed two of those before he struck his first astrea of the night) and one MASSIVE turbo.

All but one of the Astrea were gone when we got back and the GINORMOUS turbo seemed to have fended well. The turbo even did what he was supposed to do... he cleaned the place up! The astrea that remained was claimed the night he returned (or he jumped ship - I didn't hear any dinner arrangements being made).

One ninja crab is living in plain view of Tim's throne, but he has surrounded himself with rubble and only comes out to grab a piece of nearby food.

Also happened upon a couple more neat hitchhiker anemones (tulips maybe, really frilly with pink mouths), which I'll include pics of after I post this and start to process images from two vacations and the 4th.

After consuming 5 or so astrea while I was away he must've needed to get his armored suit tailored again, because he's been hiding silently for the past few days. I noticed one of his shed smashers yesterday, but didn't grab it right away and I think one of the hair-worms grabbed it instead. /shrug

Hope all is well with all of you and that all of you enloyed a fantastic Independence Day!

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 07/07/2006, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Wow!!! I just wanted to say it has taken me all day to read this 25 page thread and all I want is another 25 pages.... I don't know which is more fitting right now.... The Serial Stoma or The One Eyed Wonder of the World, but either way....DM and Tim you both rule!! Keep the stories and pics coming. Your fan base grows every day. I was thinking of setting up a new seahorse tank, but now I'm seriously considering a mantis tank. Thanks for the entertainment!
Old 07/07/2006, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

BTW... i think you should seriously consider making Tim work for his lavish lifestyle you have so generously provided. I hope just the thought of that doesn't get me on Tim's "People most likely to be eaten" list... because here's my thought. I'm going back a few threads now and I really think Tim may be lonely. Just think.. if you get him a royal female counterpart... he could bang on her for a while to give the snails a rest.... then you could sell the Little Timmies to all his fans. I'm sure we would all pay generously for future leaders of the world, or at least future heirs to his throne. It's just a thought.

P.S. Please consider this posting as pre-registration for Tim's next FMLA (Future Mantis Leaders of America) expose he plans on attending. I heard that his BYOB (Bring Your Own Bubble-snail) format has made these conferences a "smashing" success.
Old 07/09/2006, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

We cant risk Tim's laziness though. Super heroes dont always need super sidekicks, just supervillians like Strongbad.
Old 07/13/2006, 03:22 PM
I'm accident prone

Keep it up DM. I'd be up for a Tiny Tim after I moved. How much does Tim eat in a week?
Old 07/14/2006, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Well it has taken me several days to read 950 days worth of posts... WOW.
Though I would pop over from the nano tank section was interested in getting me a Mantis shrimp, now I am afraid to… To become a slave to such a strict master sounds kind of freighting. But then I have been married twice, I can handle the abuse.
Keep up the great stories.
Old 07/14/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Old 07/14/2006, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I just read all of this in one night, man im lame, ALL HAIL TIM!!! In all seriousness this thread is the most entertaining ive read in my little over a year of reefing and look forward to owning a mantis in the near future. (new tanks a comin) Keep on slugging Tim...
Old 07/23/2006, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

What type of mantis is tim?

What type of mantis is tim, id like to buy one like him to put in my "fuge" (its really gonna be just another tank circulating water with my old one, but it will have some plants in it.) Also where did you get tim? Ilove his chronicles they rock!
Old 07/23/2006, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

read the first page
Old 07/24/2006, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

You should really set up a web cam!

Please set up a web cam!!!!!
Old 07/25/2006, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Hey DM, I have a "roomie"

I have some gigantic snails that tim may want to ea... eat out with, he he... E-mail me at xanderstarekow@hotmail.com

Old 08/18/2006, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Just read everything in one go, wow! I think the survival of the freezing tank was his finest hour. I believe there may be a conspiracy theory in the offing. Kryptonite's remains were never wholly identified. A war could be brewing....

Saying in Ireland basically meaning - Once a hick always a hick!!
Old 08/25/2006, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Thats the best damn story I have ever viewed in my life. Your mantis is awesome man. Keep em coming.
Old 08/26/2006, 11:29 PM

when Tim grows up someday, he will surely move on to a BIGGER meal
Old 09/05/2006, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

DAMN it took me a few days now to read all 25 pages of posts. This is a awesome thread long live TIM !!!!!!!