Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Question Crosshatch in Hiding??? Help!!!

Hey guys,
i have a pair of crosshatches, but last couple of days the male has been in hiding. He won't come out to eat or anything. What do you suppose i do to lure him out. I put food in but nothing. Let me know what i should do. Thanks

WILL
Old 12/24/2007, 08:02 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
have you added any new fish to the tank?

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/24/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

that's a bad sign especially with a pair...sorry to hear that, i guess the only thing you can do is wait. I had a blue jaw that did the same and i tried everything, he just didn't want to eat or come out at all.

I guess you can probably take him out and QT it which i didn't try that.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

could be protecting some eggs maybe???
Old 12/24/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

try feeding him some live food (like live brine). Maybe that will entice him to eat.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

crosshatch

I would do a 20% water change, those triggers are big fish and chances are there was a spike of some sort in your tank. My personal opinion is crosshatches belong in at least an 8ft long tank. Good Luck.
Old 12/25/2007, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

No i haven't added anything new to the tank. I'll do a water change tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Crossing my fingers.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

how long have you had them? did you get them at the same time?

did you QT them?

how big are they? which one is bigger?

have you seen any fighting in the tank?

Carl
Old 12/25/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

any new news???
Old 12/25/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

I've had them for 4 months now and no fighting and got them as a pair together. The male is bigger about 6-8 inches and female about 5-7 inches. No new news. He's still in there and i think i might take out most of the rocks on one side and put up a divider so that there is nowhere to trigger up. Or do you think i should just let him be.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Do you think if i take all the rocks on the side he is over, it will help or will it just stress him out even more??? Since he is a trigger and triggering is what he does i guess. Let me know before i do anything i don't want to do it if you think it's not going to help and he might die from stress, but then again he hasn't been eating for like 3-4 days so he could die from starvation too. Please help a brotha out. Lead me to the promise land. thanks again
Old 12/25/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

IMO, when a fish hide that means he doesn't feel comfortable with the enviornment, so i think at this time if you do that, it'll probably just stress him more .
Old 12/25/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

It's just that my cousin had a sargassum trigger do that and then just died from starvation. I don't want to lose my Male Crosshatch trigger, but let's see what others think also. THanks for the input.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

YAY or NAY, to me moving all the rocks to the other side so he cant hide anymore??? Please someone chime in.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

nay, try feeding live brine and if that does not work a qt and antibiotics

Jack
Old 12/25/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

wow I thought trigger are bullet proof....I have a pair coming soon...check for fluke since we have an outbreak lately.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have a QT tank i can borrow if he doesn't eat the brine/ghost shrimps?? Let me know asap. I'm going to get some brine/ghost shrimps tomorrow. THanks guys.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:48 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Hey Will, I feel for you, man.

I've been following the thread but I have no experience/knowledge with triggers in order to offer any help.

And no quarantine tank either.

Hopefully everything's gonna be okay.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

I would not move the rock around as it may stress him more. Check your water parameter levels, make sure all you levels are fine esp. nitrates and ammonia. These large triggers produce a lot of waste and your skimmer might not be keeping up.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Change the food
Old 12/29/2007, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

I think he's done for guys. He still doesn't come out and I've been hand feeding him the last couple of days and he's been eating, but just right now he came out from triggering and was swimming in circles like "barrel rolls" Like when you tell a dog to roll over. I thought he would get over whatever he is going through but do you think he's got some stomach virus or something? It looks like he doesn't have his balance or center of gravity anymore? Let me know what i should do.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

IME, Cross-hatches have a tendency, like many captive triggerfish, to nervously pace back and forth along a dimension of the tank.

If there isn't enough room for it to turn comfortably, I have witnessed them doing this "barrell roll" I believe you are describing.

Is your x-hatch pacing back and forth as it is performing this "barrell roll"?

As others have mentioned, and I don't want to harp on you about this, but really a 180 gallon tank (especially one filled with a substantial amount of LR) is not big enough to house an adult x-hatch long term.

I sold my ~10"-12" male a while back that was in my 270 as I felt it was just too cramped. Remember that this is an open-water, plankton feeding fish in the wild, and as such, is accustomed to A LOT of swimming room. I really wouldn't be surprised if it is stressing out due to lack of space and you are seeing the behavioural symptoms of this stress.

Is it's mouth damaged? Any other external injuries/signs of disease? If I remeber correctly, I read that they are prone to mouth injuries and digestive problems, so your questioning a possible digestive disorder is certainly valid.

Have you checked your water params?

What is your nitrate reading?

Is your pH within limits and stable?

Have you checked your salinity?

How many other fish in this tank, and what type?

Are any of the other livestock in that tank showing signs of stress/disease?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you want a reasonable, educated guess as to what is going on with this guy and reasonable advice as to what to do to help him, these are pertinent questions that need to be answered.

This is a big, messy eating, waste producing fish, and you have two of them in a relatively small tank. As someone else mentioned previously, it wouldn't be surprising if a param is out of whack, or your nitrates are high for example, unless you have extremely efficient methods of nutrient removal/biological filtration to cope with the bio-load, i.e. heavy skimming, frequent water changes, large refugium, etc.

HTH,
Gisho

This is a pic of the male that I had for a couple years in my 270. Probably the most beautiful fish I've ever had and it was heartbreaking to have to let it go, but I had to do what was best for him...

Last edited by Gisho; 12/29/2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:05 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

check for fluke?
Old 12/30/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

I guess he is sorta of pacing back and forth, but it really seems as if he cannot control his body movement. It's like since he's leaning already he figures he might as well turn over or something. It seems like he leans to the left the most. Last night when the lights turned off. He got out of the rocks and doing that and squirting water also. He looks ok not visible diseases, but a little beat up since he's been freaking out and trying to jump. Water params such as PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia seems to be in line according to the Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit. I haven't been checking the salinity. I have pair of Xhatch, pair of Maroon clowns, 4 tangs (purple,yellow,sailfin,and scopas) and lastly a lawnmower blenny. I've noticed that some of the sps aren't doing well i.e. i think it's called this "microthalma" and a blue mille they are turning white. Everything else looks good no stress or anything.
I hope this helps you guys. THanks Gisho for the input.

WILL
Old 12/30/2007, 02:43 AM
Registered Member

Sorry one more thing i did just switch my lights over from 3 x 150w 20k bulbs to 2 x 250w 12k bulbs not too long ago. Approximately like 2-3 weeks now. If that could stress him out also? But everything else seems fine so i don't know. Just one of the factors maybe??? and the temp is about 77-79 degrees.