Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 02:54 PM
Team RC Member

sad day for sports: baseball today, football tomorrow, imho...

They're releasing the steroids report on CNN.
Sure answers the questions re a couple of pretty head-scratcher [why him?] dismissals on our team...the Mariners have historically frowned on tobacco-chewing, let alone other substances, in the clubhouse, and the fan base isn't patient with bad behavior.

I'd like to see this level the playing field in the game, no kidding. It's a tragedy for a sport I love almost as much as the one I'm active in myself...but maybe it will be a needed shakeup.

Next up, I wonder what the report would be on football.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:03 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Here's the list of players named in the Mitchell Report-

Roger Clemens
Andy Petitte
Marvin Benard
Barry Bonds
Bobby Estalella
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Benito Santiago
Gary Sheffield
Randy Velarde
Lenny Dysktra
David Segui
Larry Bigbie
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettite
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Greg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangello
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Todd Pratt
Kevin Young
Mike Lansing
Cody Mckay
Kent Mercker
Andy Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christianson
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Chad Allen
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagne
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett Jr.
Jim Parque
Brandon Donnelly
Jeff Williams
Howie Clark
Nook Logan
Daniel Naulty
Rick Ankiel
Paul Byrd
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jose Guillen
Gary Matthews, Jr.
Scott Schoeneweis
Jose Canseco
Jason Grimsley
Darren Holmes
John Rocker
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Steve Woodard
David Bell

Too old for women to care
Old 12/13/2007, 03:09 PM
Crap Under User Name

Huh. So, all of them then?

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:09 PM
Team RC Member

Villone and Franklin were on our team, David Bell likewise: I can understand David Bell---excruciating back pain, and for him I can have honest sympathy, the simple desire not to be in pain; but the others...that's bad. And I hurt for the players that stayed clean all their careers and ended up getting cut or retiring because they knew they weren't going to hack it in an aging body against competition that they knew was using...when their own association wasn't backing the good guys. That's got to feel really, really lonely, to be in that spot.

The report is available online, all 409 pages of it, complete with xeroxes of checks and delivery slips.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:16 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

As a diehard St. Louis Cardinal fan, I'm not shook up. Rick Ankiel had a physicians Rx for HGH. That came out in September. The other Cardinals listed - Vina is long gone and the rest are non factors.

Too old for women to care
Old 12/13/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I dont follow baseball, or any other sport for that matter, very much. Have all the named players been fired?
Old 12/13/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

glad not to see Griffey on there he was always one of my favorite players, I don't follow baseball anymore the strikes kinda lead to me following football more and I never went back.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/13/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

All this report does is make more money for the lawyers. There will be defamation suits. The players association will fight any new rules tooth and claw, and that will make the lawyers money.
Nothing will change for a long time and probably will take some kind of tragedy.
Old 12/13/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: sad day for sports: baseball today, football tomorrow, imho...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r

I'd like to see this level the playing field in the game, no kidding. It's a tragedy for a sport I love almost as much as the one I'm active in myself...but maybe it will be a needed shakeup.

so everyone in pro sports should be doing steroids? lol (just kidding)
Old 12/13/2007, 06:18 PM
Team RC Member

The even sadder thing, besides grown men doing what they know may shorten their lives, is kids wanting to make the team, who can say to themselves, hey, Fillin Name does it, and look what a great player...They can say to themselves: I'm really good, but coach says I don't have the bulk---I'll never make it. Unless....
And it is sometimes early-on fatal, and often personality-altering, and generally takes a body that was designed by its own genes to be one thing, and tries to bulk it into something else.

I think the first step needs to be removing drug testing as a matter for 'arbitration' in a labor question.
They say give these guys a by and don't go after them. I'm not sure what I feel about that, but it bugs me that these guys go ahead and get the records without an asterisk, and forever after the game will have the "but" attached to all of Cooperstown. That's not right, either.

These guys get bigger salaries than the President of the US, and they're lionized and made over as an example to youth; and it doesn't somehow matter. Matters to a lot of fans. And one major problem is that there's no test for HGH [human growth hormone.] We bar Pete Rose for life for 'bad behavior', though his 'bad behavior' had nothing to do with any game he played; and these guys' behavior, also illegal, did affect the games they played. I couldn't explain that one to an eight-year-old in any fashion I'd admire.