Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

It sound like he is probably stressed from being in a small space and also your biological load might be out of wack due to the waste these fish produce. If you want to try to save him I have a 8ft long tank with a deltec 702 housing a few fish. We can put him in there to see if he pulls through,it would be a shame to loose such a beautiful trigger. I have a larger tank but my Golden Back Trigger would probably attack him.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Agree w/ Triggerman.

It's definitely not from the changing of your bulb wattage/spectrum.

IMO, the three most likely causes are:

1. Lack of space
2. Poor water quality due to high bio-load
3. Some type of internal disease/parasite

If I were you, I would take Triggerman up on his very generous offer.

I'd offer you my 270 but I don't think my Achilles would stand for it and I have several carpet anemones which would probably make a quick lunch of him.

Anyway, you should try to move him to a different, larger tank with known good water quality ASAP. I'm afraid if he keeps up this behaviour, and especially continues to not eat, the prognosis is not good...

This is a beautiful, intelligent, and personable fish. It would be a shame to see it die. If it does pull through, I would consider selling it (and the female) to a person with a larger, 250+ gallon, tank.

Good luck Will. Do keep us updated.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

Hey yalls, here the update:

Looks like he's got at most 3 days left in him. He stopped eating and now is doing aerobatic rolls now like back flips plus the barrel rolls simultaneous. Does anyone know where to bring him like a taxidermy to like stuff him? He's such a beautiful fish i would to put him on my wall. Does that sound weird or psycho? Does anyone else have anything stuffed? Let me know.

Will
Old 01/05/2008, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

you serious ?!
Old 01/05/2008, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

awww sorry to hear that.....check to see if the CH trigger has a bloated stomach.....often a sign of a bladder infection....these fish come from 180 feet deep....he could have suffered decompression problems that screwed up his bladder....I see this often.....I dont dive down to 180 feet... I would kinda hover at 70 feet but my dive partner does and it takes him atleast 10 hours to bring them to the surface on a decompression line....even then....it is not uncommon for a deep water fish to suddenly develop a problem.....you can try to isolate him in a hospital tank and lower the salinity and put some furazone to reduce stress....he may just pull through.....Oh yeah I do agree that this fish need plenty of room to swim around or that could be the cause of his stress...take care....Aloha
Old 01/05/2008, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

If you are serius about mounting your fish

Quote:
Originally posted by bustayanky
Hey yalls, here the update:

Looks like he's got at most 3 days left in him. He stopped eating and now is doing aerobatic rolls now like back flips plus the barrel rolls simultaneous. Does anyone know where to bring him like a taxidermy to like stuff him? He's such a beautiful fish i would to put him on my wall. Does that sound weird or psycho? Does anyone else have anything stuffed? Let me know.

Will
ROBERT'S FISH MOUNTS 626-337-8141
they are in Baldwin Park they are the best around ,I have had three mounts from him, their attention to detail is amazing, he is quite an artist, although it has been around 13 years since I have dealt with them, I hope they are in business, sorry about the crosshatch I have seven triggers that i am very attached to

Danny
Old 01/05/2008, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

damn...i just lost one of my helfrichis...shouldve kept em...
Old 01/05/2008, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

If or when the male dies. I'm thinking about selling my female for $300 firm to a fellow RC with a tank with a 300+ gallon tank. Let me know if anyone interested or if i should just start up a FS thread.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm truly sorry to hear that you fish has gone for the worst. Hope he gets better. My heart goes out the such a beautiful fish. Wow that's a good price for the female CH trigger. Only if i had a bigger tank.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WetPetsHawaii
awww sorry to hear that.....check to see if the CH trigger has a bloated stomach.....often a sign of a bladder infection....these fish come from 180 feet deep....he could have suffered decompression problems that screwed up his bladder....I see this often.....I dont dive down to 180 feet... I would kinda hover at 70 feet but my dive partner does and it takes him atleast 10 hours to bring them to the surface on a decompression line....even then....it is not uncommon for a deep water fish to suddenly develop a problem.....you can try to isolate him in a hospital tank and lower the salinity and put some furazone to reduce stress....he may just pull through.....Oh yeah I do agree that this fish need plenty of room to swim around or that could be the cause of his stress...take care....Aloha

Good advice. Maybe he can still be saved.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

i use roberts for the passengers of the boat i work on

Jack
Old 01/07/2008, 04:08 AM
Registered Member

Last Update:
Sad Sad day. he passed today and i gave him a nice burial.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bustayanky
Last Update:
Sad Sad day. he passed today and i gave him a nice burial.
I know how you feel. I lost my male cross too a few months ago after I added a gold rim tang that got ick. I took the tang out but the cross never recovered. I would not ever own another one of those. Great fish but not for a fish tank- even in my 240.

Sorry to hear of your loss especially on such an expensive fish!
Old 01/07/2008, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks scallop! I know my tank is only a 180 so for sure i'm not going to get another.