Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/07/2004, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

beckett skimmer help!

i have a beckett skimmer. i boiught it years ago and never used it. its a diy model so it could very well be a p.o.s . but i got it for almsot nothing

anyways

i fired it up today, and it leaks. i can solve that problem. the other problem is the beckett itself. the beckett chamber were the actuall beckett is stored, slowly fills up with water. i guess i would have to psot a pic of this for any of you to understand, but ill try and explain.
i have never used a becket before or seen one running so thats why i am confued.
there is a two inch tube, and a 6 inch tube both acrylic. one is were the water drop down from the beckett injector, the other is the skimmer body. the drop tube never fills with water..there is just a steady jet of water scorching through it.

1) either way, should the beckett chamber be slowly filling up with water?

2)should the drop tube not be filling up with water, and all i should see is a stream of water scorching through it?

i am getting alot of bubbles thankfully, but the turbulance is crazy.

any help would be really appreciated!
Old 02/07/2004, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

beckett

The Beckett chamber does fill with water on every Beckett I've seen running. I'm not sure I understand the second question, but as long as the main reaction chamber is filled with bubbles, give it a day or so and it should start producing skimmate.
Old 02/07/2004, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply.

as for the second questio0n, its hard to explain. you know how water hits the beckett and comes out foamy. well that fomy water comming out of the beckett drops down a tube and up into the main chamber (6 inch diameter chamber) . i though this 2 inch doameter tube that the water falls down should be full of foamy water...instead i can jsut see a stream of foamy water shooting down that is only 1 inch width.

so is it normall for some beckett skimmers to have the beckett chamber fill with water? problemn i see is how is air gonna get into the beckett if the chamber is full of water?

i dont know if that helps but any more adivce or comments would be great.

thanks again
Old 02/07/2004, 09:45 PM
10 & Over Club

sounds like everything is peachy keen...
what happens is when the water leaves the beckett chamber all the extra air escapes and pressurizes the exit tube, hence your only seeing a stream and not a full tube
yes the beckett containment chamber should fill w/ water up to the level of the holes. the reason there is water in the chamber, is becuz the beckett head is not sealed, water leaks thru the sides

Might wanna read this article first, on beckett heads and skimmers
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/fm/index.htm

then this one on skimmers
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.htm

frank