Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Chevy Cobalt ~ ~ ~ What are your thoughts???

Well hubby has been looking at the Chevy Cobalt for going back and forth to work and such... I think it's a nice looking car... Our son will be turning 16 in August and will be a Jr. this year sooo, he'll be driving eventually ... Sooo far the insurance seems to be fairly reasonable and he'll be getting a job when the time comes...

I guess my question is for anyone that actually owns this car or knows something about them...

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 06/22/2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Is the car for your son?
Old 06/22/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ediaz
Is the car for your son?

Hmmm, not exactly for him, but when he goes to college it will be his... It will be hubby's car and our son will drive it eventually, but for now it will by hubby's car, with our son driving it when he gets his permit and such...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 06/22/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

I apologize my english sometimes is not good,

I had the chance of driving 2 during my last trip to Chicago(rental)
The LS and LT are too slow, it takes a long time to acelerate, not to mention too much plastic interiors, the SS looks sportier, nicer inside and really kicks.

Both of them are VERY economic when it comes to gas.

I liked the Pontiac G6, wich i drove too, no complains and its similar.

Ed
Old 06/22/2006, 12:58 PM
Moved On

If your son or Hubby is 6 ft tall or taller he will hate it. Had one got rid of it (sort of). Great on gas. Bad on impact. Had a 35 mph accident and it imploded. Set off all the air bags blew the steering column to shreds. Front end looked like a bull dog lol. However no one was hurt but the cars was a mess. Ins. totaled it. Without gap ins. Id have owed over $5k without it. Thats how much the car lost in value from the time I crashed it. Too me it was a throw away anyhow. I intended on driving it for 2 years and then trading it off for something else. All in all it would be a good back and forth car which is what I bought it for but I got tired of it quickly mostly becasue Im a bigger guy and I hated having to almost roll out of it sometimes. (No I wasnt drunk those times either).
Old 06/23/2006, 01:03 AM
Born Again Reefer

I think the Japanese companies offer a lot better quality for the money. I drive a 2003 Corolla...about 35 mpg overall with responsive acceleration. These cars are known for reliability and longevity, some are still running with over 250k miles.

With domestic cars, you are paying more for healthcare and other benefits for the employees...which is why they are lower quality but not cheaper.
Old 06/23/2006, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

Thanks oodles for the insight!!! We've just paid our van off a year early and starting to think about our son graduating HS and then heading off to college and such, so we are wanting something decent for him to start off in when the time comes, ya know???

Won't even cosider something though until it's test driven but just looking for some personal insight...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 06/23/2006, 06:16 AM
Stop touching me!!!

He's gonna need that Lingenfelter ZO6 for college... if you really love him!
Old 06/23/2006, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

I'm an American, and id rather my car buying dollars go to give another American healthcare and a decent wage. we have too much of a trade defecit, foreign countries get our money, then the US dollar is devalued, and so so inflation goes up. the US Treasury then attempts to buy back our money at a loss,,,its a vicious cycle of worldwide economics. this is what brought about the Euro. to stabilize economies. but the more we buy foreign, the more and more we hurt all Americans.

Yes, I'm the One and only Witty~
Old 06/23/2006, 08:17 AM
Moved In

Pat has a Toyota Echo, lot's of head room. Funny looking car but great gas mileage. Dan even fits in it comfortably.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/23/2006, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Christy, my only comment on a new car is that Josh is bound to have a fender bender or two while he's learning to drive (colin had one in his first six months - nothing serious, but nicked his bumper) and you might not want to take that chance with a new car. I'd go for a used Camry, Corolla, Civic or Accord. Good safe cars, lots of airbags, great gas mileage, and you could insure it w/o collision coverage and save some $$$$$$.

Colin got a used 1994 Camry and it's been a great first car for him. We'll probably let Jessie learn how to drive on it come November.

Miss ya, girl. I'll look for you over the weekend. Graduation tonight, so we'll be a bit busy but I'll keep an eye out for you!!!
Old 06/23/2006, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

not only in before the lock,,but contributing to it~

Old 06/23/2006, 08:47 AM
Moved In

Old 06/23/2006, 08:51 AM
Moved In

Old 06/23/2006, 08:59 AM
Guardian of Little People

Biggie, read your PM. You won't receive any more warnings.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 06/23/2006, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

ok,,,lets save this thread,,for the moment~

i agree with a used car for a first time driver. my first car was a clunker, my kids first cars are tough old American Steel cars. i feel better knowing they are in a solid heavy metal car. my youngest daughter bought her own first car, 91 Ford Explorer,,,,solid like a tank.

heck, my wife had an accident rearending a "foreign minivan" her bronco had a dented bumper and wrinkles the fenders ever so slightly.....the "foreign minivan"....totaled. the rear crumpled so bad the rear axle broke. and this was at less than 35mph.

Old 06/23/2006, 09:05 AM
Moved On

If your read my first thread on this post I stated that I owned the Cobalt and it was totaled at 35 Mph. lol. True....Thing came apart big time. I got an employee discount which is why I bought the thing in the first place. When my daughter gets to the driving age Im gonna get her a 72 Catalina 4 door with a custom roll cage in it lol..pretty much take out anything else on the road with that tank and still make it to school.
Gas guzzler too so she better get a p-time job....
No substitution for steel.
Old 06/23/2006, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

I would seriously consider a used Honda or even a used Cobalt or G6. Let someone else suffer the value loss in the beginning.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 06/23/2006, 02:36 PM
Dirty Reefer

Check Consumers Report. Very poor rating. Lots of better choices out there.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 06/24/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by witfull
I'm an American, and id rather my car buying dollars go to give another American healthcare and a decent wage. we have too much of a trade defecit, foreign countries get our money, then the US dollar is devalued, and so so inflation goes up. the US Treasury then attempts to buy back our money at a loss,,,its a vicious cycle of worldwide economics. this is what brought about the Euro. to stabilize economies. but the more we buy foreign, the more and more we hurt all Americans.
Off Topic:
Isn't it ironic how Japanese and other Foreign car companies move their factories to the U.S., where on the other hand, American companies like Ford move to Mexico?

Article about Ford Moving Plants to Mexico

/

If you want a re-badge Cavalier then go for the cobalt. I personally would go Japanese because I want a safe car that is relatively efficient and extremely reliable.
And in your eyes I see
What's on my mind
You've got me wild
Turned around inside
-DMB
Old 06/24/2006, 03:26 PM
m0derated

If you're planning on keeping the car for more than a couple years (and it sounds like you are) get a toyota, mazda, or honda.

My dad had an 81 corolla and that thing was bullet-proof. Slow and dorky, but bullet-proof. And I've had my mazda for 2+ years and I'm very happy with it. It's had no issues other than a couple of swaybar links which are probably my fault.

If the driver is a 6-footer, don't bother with a corolla, though.

My parents had a dodge that blew up. My plymouth rattled apart. My girlfriend's chevy must have had a stroke because it's slowly becoming paralized. And I have more than one friend who's volkswagen is in the shop more than it is on the road.

I'm all for stimulating the American economy, but economics and politics aside, that is my experience.
Old 06/25/2006, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

toyotas are more "american" than most gm's and fords.

Old 06/25/2006, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

well i'll give you a bit of a new viewpoint.. i am 17 and my dad bought me a new accord coupe when i got my license.. its a great car and he got me a 5 speed so i was forced to learn stick (really love driving it now) personally i would rather have an import just because i think their a better car, tend to be safer and have better fuel economy.. IMO i would have rather gotten a used import over a new american made cheaper car (focus type cars etc.. ) hope that kinda helped, if you have any q's just ask away... lol
Old 06/26/2006, 08:38 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Now now...don't forget the Nissan Sentra for an entry car. I had a 1997 Sentra for 4 years before it was totaled by a hit-and-run driver. Great car. Easy to work by yourself too if you didnt' want to take it to a dealer or shop. Comfortable, reliable, it was actually in about 3 different accidents before it finally got totaled (rear-ended twice and once my neighbor had backed into it when she was pulling out of the driveway in her SUV and mis-calculated the amount of space she had). All of the safety measures worked to keep the car as solid as possible and protect the passengers. Had I not needed the cargo space of the Vibe I would have bought another Sentra. Pretty decent on the gas mileage too.

Now I drive a Pontiac Vibe which is essentially the Toyota Matrix and vice-versa. Great car. Very comfortable, good mileage, lots of space for hauling things by dropping the back seats, overall a solid car. Fun to drive too.

I hate to say that I'm not really sold on the american compact car market. Some nice lookin' cars, but not quite as solid just yet as Nissan, Honda, or Toyota.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06/26/2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

i drove my cuz's yaris "s" type this morning and it was pretty nice.. fairly speedy, he has a 5 speed and i guess it gets like 40 mpg.. not bad, dont get me wrong this car isn't fast.. but for that kind of milage its not to bad, my accord has a lot more pep- also a 5 speed but not that kind of milage..