Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/01/2005, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Okay Sally....if the skimmer really isn't working properly, then it's not getting all the bad crap out of the tank which in turn could be a big part of your nitrate problems. Once you get it working or another one that works well, and get a good supply of chaeto going, they'll drop drastically. So don't take it out on Brett....he didn't make the skimmer not work.
Old 05/01/2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnick
and the reefer with the hight nitrates or was it nitites - are you not running your lights for only 5 hrs - tsk,tsk how long has you life sand been established

if not long, and you are not letting any plants grow due to limits on lights and/or if you light cycle is letting other life expire (light loving stuff ) - .............
High nitrates would be me. Ran the lights for 4-5 hrs per Richards instructions. Only increased as he instructed. Never had an ammonia spike...never had a nitrite spike. LS has been established since February....as well as most of the lr. Added 2nd batch of lr beginning of April and that was when the nitrates spiked and stayed up there. We again dropped lights back down to 4-5 hrs and only increased as TBS instructed. We have not been feeding the tank regularly due to high nitrates. I am afraid this may affect the livestock we have in there. The high nitrates in our tank are definitely NOT due to overfeeding as we were rarely feeding prior to putting the 2nd batch of rock and cleanup crew in. Once we put the crew in, we did not feed at all for several weeks as they were supposed to eat the stuff on the sand and rocks. We only spot feed the brain and anemone once every couple of weeks. We had calurpa and halemida growing in the fuge from back in Jan. We just put two large batches of chaeto in the fuge and put the halemida in the main tank, got rid of the calurpa due to fears of it gowing asexual. I'm just getting totally frustrated at this point.
Old 05/01/2005, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

that run is so verticle - nevermind organization just right now use a long piece run it right then back left - let the water slow down and then work on baffling it at the end like I am trying to show - mine is behind opaque acrylic so I can't show you

is that pic the most recent one - your outlet hose is completely submerged - heck even getting it out and letting it hit agaist the side of your sump will disa pate the noise

how many gph are you running

why is your water level so high - does your aqua c dictate that?

do you have a cover over the area your water is dumping in to - I can not tell - looks like not

when you get your water falling more gently many of your bubbles will go away

on your skimmer , do you have an air-in hose - drop some water in it and let it clear is so or put your thumb over the hole - where is the wistle coming from

you need SLIME

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drk70
[B]Here are the pics I posted earlier.
Old 05/01/2005, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

my thoughts are to keep the fuge light on 24/7 for a while - so 15 gallon water change, look for something not doing well or dead and if the skimmer works, skim wet

how is your water flow inside the tank - maybe put a sock on your outflow and turn up water flow full blast to shake up anything maybe even blast your rocks, etc by holding ph and aiming to some controlled extent so you don't blast your lovelies to heck, let the sock catch it and remove the sock when the water clears

stuff that needs light is not getting enough inside the tank imo -

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
High nitrates would be me. Ran the lights for 4-5 hrs per Richards instructions. Only increased as he instructed. Never had an ammonia spike...never had a nitrite spike. LS has been established since February....as well as most of the lr. Added 2nd batch of lr beginning of April and that was when the nitrates spiked and stayed up there. We again dropped lights back down to 4-5 hrs and only increased as TBS instructed. We have not been feeding the tank regularly due to high nitrates. I am afraid this may affect the livestock we have in there. The high nitrates in our tank are definitely NOT due to overfeeding as we were rarely feeding prior to putting the 2nd batch of rock and cleanup crew in. Once we put the crew in, we did not feed at all for several weeks as they were supposed to eat the stuff on the sand and rocks. We only spot feed the brain and anemone once every couple of weeks. We had calurpa and halemida growing in the fuge from back in Jan. We just put two large batches of chaeto in the fuge and put the halemida in the main tank, got rid of the calurpa due to fears of it gowing asexual. I'm just getting totally frustrated at this point.
Old 05/01/2005, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Sally I just tripped over your threads with Ron - he gives good advise run the fuge 24/7 and tune the skimmer to make the bubble level rise somehow - even try to get it to skim wet - I can;t see a skimmer adding to the problem, just not helping it - yuou neede to export the nitrate causing stuff - you sand bed is not mature enough to help that much yet

where can I get chaeto online can't find it here

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Okay Sally....if the skimmer really isn't working properly, then it's not getting all the bad crap out of the tank which in turn could be a big part of your nitrate problems. Once you get it working or another one that works well, and get a good supply of chaeto going, they'll drop drastically. So don't take it out on Brett....he didn't make the skimmer not work.
Old 05/01/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sally I just tripped over your threads with Ron - he gives good advise run the fuge 24/7 and tune the skimmer to make the bubble level rise somehow - even try to get it to skim wet - I can;t see a skimmer adding to the problem, just not helping it - yuou neede to export the nitrate causing stuff - you sand bed is not mature enough to help that much yet

where can I get chaeto online can't find it here
We'll try fuge lights 24/7 for a bit see if that helps. Skimmer is not working well at all. Hardly any foam, let alone skimming wet.

Bought the chaeto through www.macro-algae.com. Chris was awesome. They only take pay pal so if you don't have an account, e-mail Chris and see if he can work with you. His website would only order one batch, we wanted two. We e-mailed him and worked it out through e-mail. Ordered on Thursday, got it Saturday and great shape. It's now sitting, stuffed in the fuge.

I truly think we are going to need to purchase a new skimmer. We are very upset as ever since we started putting our tank together, we have run into problems that the lfs caused. We counted on their expert advise and almost every step of the way we have encountered problems. We were given a quote of about $3500 for complete set up of a 150g. We are now over $8000 and still going. It's not the money, it's the frustration of having to replace, add on to, and trash things that we paid for that were supposed to be exactly what we needed.
Old 05/01/2005, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
that run is so verticle - nevermind organization just right now use a long piece run it right then back left - let the water slow down and then work on baffling it at the end like I am trying to show - mine is behind opaque acrylic so I can't show you

is that pic the most recent one - your outlet hose is completely submerged - heck even getting it out and letting it hit agaist the side of your sump will disa pate the noise

how many gph are you running

why is your water level so high - does your aqua c dictate that?

do you have a cover over the area your water is dumping in to - I can not tell - looks like not

when you get your water falling more gently many of your bubbles will go away

on your skimmer , do you have an air-in hose - drop some water in it and let it clear is so or put your thumb over the hole - where is the wistle coming from

you need SLIME
Everything I read says to keep the drain line submerged at least a few inches but I'm game. At this point I'll try anything. I can't really make the hose go right then left. the hose won't flex that tight without kinking. I put new bulkheads in the tank that are threaded on each end. I can remake it out of PVC and come down to a 90 and go right and then put in 2 more 90's and come back left and then into the sump. One the line coming back I can increase the pipe size to 1-1/2" and that should slow it down some too. I think I may be able to do this with crap I have laying around. I will try it if anyone thinks it will work/help.

I don't know. The overflow is suppose to handle 600 GPH and I have a Mag 9.5 with maybe 4' of head but I open the valve to slow the flow into the tank.

I have a cover that covers half of that area and a piece that goes about 8" down so the water has to go under it.

I have about 11" of water in the skimmer section. the skimmer has to be in around 9" of water and I have it raised up some.

If I put my thumb over the air intake it shuts right up.
Old 05/01/2005, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
my thoughts are to keep the fuge light on 24/7 for a while - so 15 gallon water change, look for something not doing well or dead and if the skimmer works, skim wet

how is your water flow inside the tank - maybe put a sock on your outflow and turn up water flow full blast to shake up anything maybe even blast your rocks, etc by holding ph and aiming to some controlled extent so you don't blast your lovelies to heck, let the sock catch it and remove the sock when the water clears

stuff that needs light is not getting enough inside the tank imo -
Water changes are usually once per week, 20 - 25 gals. Will try fuge lights 24/7. Nothing is dying, except for the poor hitchiker anemone. Lost a cuke, but he's being eaten as we speak, I can't seem to get him away from everyone. They must be starved as we have not been feeding the tank. We have three extra powerheads in the tank that we have aimed at various areas of the tank. In fact, two of the heads have those Hydro heads on them that ossilate. All three are also on the wavemaker which varies which powerhead is blowing at any one time. There is terrific flow throughout the tank. We have the pre filter socks that I change every other day at the least. Each water change we blow off all the rocks and stir up detritus a bit to get the most crud out of the tank then change filter socks.

Lighting - 4 lines.....320 watts vho blue, 200 watts pc blue, same watts for the whites for a total of 1040 watts. We are still gradually building all of this up. VHO's are running full cycle 12 hours whites and 14 hrs blues. PC's are still coming up to speed. We had a brown algae bloom that TBS recommended we keep lights low for a period.

In fact, other than turning the fuge on 24/7, we have been doing everything that everyone recommends and more.
Old 05/01/2005, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

I used a 90 to make this happen on mince to avoid the kink - why are you and I the only ones who do not use vacuum hose - are we stubborn?

I would just put a 90 at the end of the current hose after aiming it right and use the 90 to get back to the place you want to be left - I don't feel you need to start working with the pvc again. I did expand to 1.5 at some point - the water should have a clear path (not build up anywhere along the run to where it starts burping - the 90 should go a long way to start the slowing down without building up - its funny sometimes slowing down the water flow a little makes a big difference - I didn't think it harmed mags to apply a valve post return like it does some pumps

A tank like flow, but many try not to tax the sump workings to make this flow when it makes the skimmer less efficient anyway - they use ph's or closed loop - I think its sort of counterproductive and makes things harders sometimes to get all the water you can over the overflow - creating niragra falls noise and does not let the skimmer have enough time on the water

YOU WILL have microbubbles galore until you start getting lige in there and slimed up - you have nothing right?

seriously slime makes micro bubbles go away - you have next to no slime - when are you getting your tbs?

I meant stop/start air flicking it thinking there was something - a bubble or something caught making the whistle - shake it loose or drip water into the air intake to clear it maybe its dried salt water in which case warn ro/di water to dissolve it - although I don't know where its coming from and don't know your skimmer - its just that something is causing it and therefore that something can go away and it ain't rocket science just experimentation

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Everything I read says to keep the drain line submerged at least a few inches but I'm game. At this point I'll try anything. I can't really make the hose go right then left. the hose won't flex that tight without kinking. I put new bulkheads in the tank that are threaded on each end. I can remake it out of PVC and come down to a 90 and go right and then put in 2 more 90's and come back left and then into the sump. One the line coming back I can increase the pipe size to 1-1/2" and that should slow it down some too. I think I may be able to do this with crap I have laying around. I will try it if anyone thinks it will work/help.

I don't know. The overflow is suppose to handle 600 GPH and I have a Mag 9.5 with maybe 4' of head but I open the valve to slow the flow into the tank.

I have a cover that covers half of that area and a piece that goes about 8" down so the water has to go under it.

I have about 11" of water in the skimmer section. the skimmer has to be in around 9" of water and I have it raised up some.

If I put my thumb over the air intake it shuts right up.
Old 05/01/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

ps hose below issue - until you get the stream tweaked you have lots of air to manage as part and this will make bubbles - until you start to get a handle at the surface a little under a little less above the waterline
Old 05/01/2005, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I used a 90 to make this happen on mince to avoid the kink - why are you and I the only ones who do not use vacuum hose - are we stubborn?

I would just put a 90 at the end of the current hose after aiming it right and use the 90 to get back to the place you want to be left - I don't feel you need to start working with the pvc again. I did expand to 1.5 at some point - the water should have a clear path (not build up anywhere along the run to where it starts burping - the 90 should go a long way to start the slowing down without building up - its funny sometimes slowing down the water flow a little makes a big difference - I didn't think it harmed mags to apply a valve post return like it does some pumps

A tank like flow, but many try not to tax the sump workings to make this flow when it makes the skimmer less efficient anyway - they use ph's or closed loop - I think its sort of counterproductive and makes things harders sometimes to get all the water you can over the overflow - creating niragra falls noise and does not let the skimmer have enough time on the water

YOU WILL have microbubbles galore until you start getting lige in there and slimed up - you have nothing right?

seriously slime makes micro bubbles go away - you have next to no slime - when are you getting your tbs?

I meant stop/start air flicking it thinking there was something - a bubble or something caught making the whistle - shake it loose or drip water into the air intake to clear it maybe its dried salt water in which case warn ro/di water to dissolve it - although I don't know where its coming from and don't know your skimmer - its just that something is causing it and therefore that something can go away and it ain't rocket science just experimentation
Just stubborn I guess. I figure if I'm going to use flex I may as well be able to see in it.

If I put 90 on the flex then I have to put threaded adapter on them and then a barb fitting. I would think it would be easier to just use all PVC.

I have no slime. No anything. Your guess is as good as mine on the TBS. When they call I will get it.
Old 05/01/2005, 07:27 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

well here we go ETA is 1 week till the big move, i'll be picking up the new custom stand tomorrow, i prewired the new house allready, i'm setting up a temp 20g tank (will afterwards become my QT tank, and will be transporting the clownfish and goby in the next few days, sunday i have 4 guys coming to help move the tank, then i can call Richard for my second half. i will also be hooking up a calcium reactor too (new toy) and i'm fairly convinced i'm going to order tunze stream, im also ordering one of those heavy duty magnet cleaner (the magfloat doesnt cut it)
i'll keep you guys posted!!!!
Old 05/01/2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Any pictures of a sump with a refugium with frags?
Old 05/02/2005, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Can you explain to me about the slime bit? Does this refer to the slime in the neck of the skimmer? Should this never be cleaned out?
Old 05/02/2005, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Pat, what happened?? You lost a star!!! Here I was thinking this is one of the most informative and helpful threads out there. Hmpf....guess someone else doesn't think so.
Old 05/02/2005, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dood68
well here we go ETA is 1 week till the big move, i'll be picking up the new custom stand tomorrow, i prewired the new house allready, i'm setting up a temp 20g tank (will afterwards become my QT tank, and will be transporting the clownfish and goby in the next few days, sunday i have 4 guys coming to help move the tank, then i can call Richard for my second half. i will also be hooking up a calcium reactor too (new toy) and i'm fairly convinced i'm going to order tunze stream, im also ordering one of those heavy duty magnet cleaner (the magfloat doesnt cut it)
i'll keep you guys posted!!!!
Sounds good! You'll need a vacation after moving. Oh, I couldn't even think of a move! Makes me too tired.
The house is brand new?
Old 05/02/2005, 07:46 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Moving is a pain in the butt! I feel for ya there, I dont look forward to moving the tanks anytime soon.
Old 05/02/2005, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
What is vacuum hose?...the stuff that has ribs on it?
Old 05/02/2005, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

feed pt2 for the first time last nite. what a blast! my wife went crazy when the long arms of the serpent came out of the rock and grabed the shrimp off the feeding stick. it just gets better and better.
Old 05/02/2005, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

slime is well, a light coat of slime on everything in your aquarium set up except for the glass you clean - if you run your finger along the inside of your sump, your hoses - everything, you can feel the slime - it is known to really impact microbubbles in a good way - don't know the science but it is well known.

It is different than the slime of your skimmer neck which is (should be) dirty ugly smelly slime - you should clean your skimmer neck of this as - at some point it does not let the bubble build up crawl up the neck as well - but know that when you first clean the skimmer - it appears to not be bubbling up the neck as well - this is expected as you have removed the innocent slime a bit and the oil from your hands, etc also - it just needs to reslime up and it happens pretty fast in an established skimmer - did this help?

Quote:
Can you explain to me about the slime bit? Does this refer to the slime in the neck of the skimmer? Should this never be cleaned out?
Old 05/02/2005, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

yes - I don't know what else to call it - btw - it comes in clear

I like to see the water running too. (for drk)

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
What is vacuum hose?...the stuff that has ribs on it?
Old 05/02/2005, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

ok - but know that they make barbed 90's - sometimes HD or lowes, etc has them

your aquarium is empty except for life - probably why your skimmers is whistling at you "whistle, whistle - dude how can I skim when I have no protein" lol

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Just stubborn I guess. I figure if I'm going to use flex I may as well be able to see in it.

If I put 90 on the flex then I have to put threaded adapter on them and then a barb fitting. I would think it would be easier to just use all PVC.

I have no slime. No anything. Your guess is as good as mine on the TBS. When they call I will get it.
Old 05/02/2005, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Dennis, you can get barbed 90s at any marine retailer (Boaters World, West Marine, etc..). i think before running your hose to the right then back to the left, just try one on the end of the hose. i agree with jnick, that you need more backflow on the drain. a 90 on the end may be enough, by itself. thats all i have on mine.

Pat, i love all the pics on the first few pages
Old 05/02/2005, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Pat, what happened?? You lost a star!!! Here I was thinking this is one of the most informative and helpful threads out there. Hmpf....guess someone else doesn't think so.
It's back now...weird system
Old 05/02/2005, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doggydog911
Ok, well while I still save up for everything for my tank and tbs rock, can I keep

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Bicolor angel
3 firefish
1 mandarin in a 55g tank?

I made another list but somebody laughed at me (which i hate when people do that) so I guessed that would be a no
first off i wouldnt recommend a mandarin in a 55 gallon tank. IMO, you just cant get enough pods growing fast enough in a tank that size.

also, 3 firefish is a bad idea, unless you have a huge tank. the only way 2 will work, IMO, is by getting a male and female and adding them at the same time. as Pat pointed out, expect them to jump.

if you plan to spend $150-$200 in fish, why not spend this on equipment or LR and LS?

defiantly get your equipment first. lights, skimmer, water pumps, sump etc.. should all be up and running before you purchase rock and sand, which in turn comes before you buy fish and corals.