Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2005, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

My mobile hitchhikers...

Tiny Pistol with a LOUD click. One half inch in length.

Now - did that rock just move? It DID!

What's this in my bag of saltwater...? Brittle stars!!

Whoa - I didn't order this many critters in the cleaning crew! Thanks TBS!

Close up of one of the crew:

Another Freebie: I definitely didn't order this!

While not welcome in my tank - I enjoyed trading these Neogonodactylus Wennerae to other reefers in my area! (only two pics of the five)

Old 04/02/2005, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

My sessile hitchhikers (manicina areolata)

The manicina areolata coral...love how it fluoresces.

In part one, this manicina coral had a big white spot in the middle and I assumed I had mishandled the coral and damaged it. A few weeks later, you could see it was slowly coming out.

The rock was repositioned and now you can clearly see the coral repairing itself:
Old 04/02/2005, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I don't remember seeing these 2 pictures.

I love seeing the pep right in the middle of it all.

Gosh, my water looked so filthy when I took critters out and placed them in a bowl. Yours is so pristine. Now I feel like a slob!

Last edited by patsan; 04/02/2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04/02/2005, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

My crazy maroon and the condylactis

Should I go in?

What the heck!
Old 04/02/2005, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I don't remember seeing these 2 pictures.
I love seeing the pistol right in the middle of it all.

Gosh, my water looked so filthy when I took critters out and placed them in a bowl. Yours is so pristine. Now I feel like a slob!
Actually that's the sole peppermint that survived the trip. I was only scheduled to get one but they threw in another for me but that one was DOA.

I went out and picked it up some company:

Unfortunately I did another scaping and the three are now scattered in different parts of the tank hidden...

A small patch of lesser starlet coral, Siderastrea radians with a feather duster...

Ascidiaceae (sea squirt) with a hermit playing king of the hill.

Another hermit saying *I* am king of the hill
Old 04/02/2005, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Landon, Did you do something with your pics? Some of your pics on page 2 aren't coming up.
Old 04/02/2005, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Landon, Did you do something with your pics? Some of your pics on page 2 aren't coming up.
They're not? Which ones? I just took a look and they seemed to show for me.
Old 04/02/2005, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

It's nice to see some people posting here. Now we need everyone to post!
Old 04/02/2005, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Some factual info on Cukes

So everyone is paranoid over the "cuke nuke". The cukes that come with TBS do not "kill" the tank if they die. In fact one my cukes spit out it's digestive tract and what happened? my fish and peppermints go on a feeding frenzy eating the tract (yuke!).

Anyway - here's a pic of the two cukes I got (RIP):

"Although sea cucumbers get a bad reputation because of the reports of ‘cuke nukes’ that are common on the boards, in reality such events are actually pretty rare...The bottom line is that most sea cucumbers won't cause a tank wipe out even if they hit a powerhead (which as I said, is a pretty easy thing to prevent and really shouldn't be a concern in a well maintained tank)... In fact, many soft corals, sponges and tunicates kept in reef aquaria are actually much more toxic than are these sea cucumbers, but because these other species are not crawling around and potentially hitting unguarded powerheads, they pose less of a threat than do sea cucumbers.

Full thread here: Advanced Aquarist: Cukes
Old 04/02/2005, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Water Parameters

Parameter/Reef Aquaria Recommendation
Calcium 380-450 ppm
Alkalinity 2.5-4 meq/L
7-11 dKH
125-200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
Salinity 35 ppt
sg = 1.026
Temperature 76-83° F
PH 7.8-8.5 OK 8.1-8.3 is better
Magnesium 1250-1350 ppm
Phosphate< 0.03 ppm
Ammonia<0.1 ppm

Full article here: Randy Holmes Farley: Water parameters
Old 04/02/2005, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
They're not? Which ones? I just took a look and they seemed to show for me.
There are a few of them. The one of the fire shrimp and the excellent picture of the whole tank with the W/B adjusted. That one I really remember seeing because its such a good pic. They still don't show for me, some do and some don't.
Old 04/02/2005, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

I've never checked for magnesium. I also keep my sg at 1.025 or 1.024
Old 04/02/2005, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I still can't figure out why my skimmer just stopeed producing skimmate. I just ran it through a cycle in the dishwasher (no soap) to see if that would help.

Could it be related to the oil slick on top of the water in the tank? I assume it's from when I do my water testing. Is there any way to get that out of the tank?

Additionally, I have what I believe tto be copepods running around on the bottom of the tank. Must be thousands of them.
1) Are they good?
2) What do they eat? Can I drop a cube of mysis shrimp in for them?

Chris
Old 04/02/2005, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa
I still can't figure out why my skimmer just stopeed producing skimmate. I just ran it through a cycle in the dishwasher (no soap) to see if that would help.
Could it be related to the oil slick on top of the water in the tank? I assume it's from when I do my water testing. Is there any way to get that out of the tank?
Additionally, I have what I believe tto be copepods running around on the bottom of the tank. Must be thousands of them.
1) Are they good?
2) What do they eat? Can I drop a cube of mysis shrimp in for them?
Chris
Many brands of skimmers will stop skimming if you add food or stick your hand in the water. It will start up again in due time.

As far as the oil slick.....if you really have that...try aiming your powerheads up a little higher to break the surface of the water.

Do you have any pictures of the copepods? Lets make sure it's them and not any bad things.

Are you feeding the tank anything yet like DT's?
Old 04/02/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

We can't forget to put a picture of an important piece of equipment in the thread. This is "The Claw" courtesy of Jim. (dsp78213)

Old 04/02/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

As far as the oil slick.....if you really have that...try aiming your powerheads up a little higher to break the surface of the water.

Do you have any pictures of the copepods? Lets make sure it's them and not any bad things.

Are you feeding the tank anything yet like DT's?
I have aimed one PH up towards the surface in the hopes of breaking up the slick which I do have.

I am feeding DT's. Have dosed twice so far. 1 1/2 tsp on Tuesday morning and 2 tsp today.

Here's a picture of one of the thousands. Not the best quality as they are very very small. They seem to run out from the sand, grab a small pebble and retreat back into the sand to eat. They then spit the rock back out afterwards. It's pretty neat watchiing them as they're everywhere.

Old 04/02/2005, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

OMG Pat, how great tis new thread is!! Wish it could be made into book! You all have done such wonderful things with your tanks, And Landon, wish I could get you to aquascape mine!!!! It looks great!
Old 04/02/2005, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

I've also been mesmerized watching the hermit crabs feed. It's amazing watching them close their claws, scrape the rocks and shovel it in their mouths all in one fell swoop.

This hobby is simply amazing. I can't believe all the cool stuff appearing in my tank. Almost out of nowhere.

Oh, and by they way, I may have falsely accused the sea urchins of eating my "pretty stuff" I saw some really big worm strtch around a rock, pick of some red algae and snap back out of site. I'm going to try to get a picture of him.

Chris
Old 04/02/2005, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by April540
OMG Pat, how great tis new thread is!! Wish it could be made into book! You all have done such wonderful things with your tanks, And Landon, wish I could get you to aquascape mine!!!! It looks great!
Thanks April!! I wish I could scape my tank to look even a little bit like Landon's....I'd be really happy.
I saw you posted last night. Where did you go...on vacation?

Chris...I don't have them in my tank, so I don't know. I only have those microscopic ones on the glass. I did see one a few months back, and a snail came out and ate it! I haven't seen another one since.
Old 04/02/2005, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

And Congrats Phil on the healing coral, tank must be in great shape to heal so quickly. This thread is keeping me happy till I can get my TBS ordered!! I get excited right along with you all. Also I wanted to thank you guys for helping me with the post last night.
Old 04/02/2005, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa
I've also been mesmerized watching the hermit crabs feed. It's amazing watching them close their claws, scrape the rocks and shovel it in their mouths all in one fell swoop.
This hobby is simply amazing. I can't believe all the cool stuff appearing in my tank. Almost out of nowhere.
Oh, and by they way, I may have falsely accused the sea urchins of eating my "pretty stuff" I saw some really big worm strtch around a rock, pick of some red algae and snap back out of site. I'm going to try to get a picture of him.
Chris
You'll keep finding more and more stuff as time goes on. It is pretty amazing. You keep asking yourself where everything was hiding for so long that you never saw it before.

Do you know what type of worm? Still keep an eye on those urchins...because they do a number to the coraline...they really do. Mine even ate some orange sponge.
Old 04/02/2005, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Pat I went to my parents for awhile and when I got back, you all had gone so far with the posts, I couldnt keep up! Then I tried to get the camera figured out, and you all split again. LOL I tried today to get back with you. But our electric must have gone out 20 times,So I had to go to LFS to P/U 2 battery operated air pumps, I hope you have something too, just in case! Scared me to death, the corals started to wilt a little!
Old 04/02/2005, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by April540
Pat I went to my parents for awhile and when I got back, you all had gone so far with the posts, I couldnt keep up! Then I tried to get the camera figured out, and you all split again. LOL I tried today to get back with you. But our electric must have gone out 20 times,So I had to go to LFS to P/U 2 battery operated air pumps, I hope you have something too, just in case! Scared me to death, the corals started to wilt a little!
No, I really don't have anything in case the power goes out. It really should go on the top of the to do list before it's too late. Thanks for the reminder!! I will get something this week for sure.
We do move quickly with the thread. If for any reason you leave again, just pick up when you come back and join us!! But hopefully you won't have to leave again.
When are you planning on ordering?
Old 04/02/2005, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Chris...I don't have them in my tank, so I don't know. I only have those microscopic ones on the glass. I did see one a few months back, and a snail came out and ate it! I haven't seen another one since.
It looks like they've killed all the barnacles too as they are using them as shelter. I'm really wondering what they are now. Where else can I go for an id?
Old 04/02/2005, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Also if you dont mind my butting in so much, I went to LFS Friday before last and they received 7 buckets of live rock, all in water like TBS, I dont know if that is where they got it from, but the person brought it to them. Anyway, I bought me a piece of it, there were 2 rocks fused togethe,I put this in the tank (I hope this was not a mistake) I got out my magnifying glass and the flash ligt to check it out, The larger piece is sort of hollow and has lots of holes, and in this rock there was a Flame scallop,with the white thinys and red in the middle of the mouth, there was the Urchin? that still has not come out, a tinny little white star fih,that I havent seen but 1 time and there was a small peppermint shrimp, and also a big snailI took out and put in the sump, it didn't look like a good one. there is also a thing that looks kind of like a pinching bug that is too quick to see what it is, This was all on this one piece. How do you get anything done!!!!! lol I cant imagine a tank full of the wonderful rock!! But can you put the TBS in a main tank or do you need to do a seperate tank with just the TBS?