Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2005, 10:33 PM
Moved On

Chris P's has an orange/yellow edge all around the edge where there is new growth.
Old 03/28/2005, 01:32 AM

That is C. Pasko's frag. He got that frag from me a long time ago when I had the entire colony. I bought the coral, 6x3" roughly in size, from the LFS as a red favia. That coral is not the same as the one Anthony had for sale. I saw Anthony's coral in person and had no clue what it was. The coralites were much smaller than on the "red favia".

I gave the colony away later to a good friend since it was taking up too much real estate. Red's an easy coral color to come by and I like to have as many different bright outstanding colors in my tank as possible. Anyway, I'm not sure what my friend did with the colony.
Old 03/28/2005, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

Ali,
That sure is a red Favia. I guess that's different than the ones we have been talking about. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04/01/2005, 11:39 PM

This one is different...but if anyone is interested in a red favia our new sponsor Sharkysreef.com has one in stock...

http://www.sharkysreef.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=963
Old 04/04/2005, 12:15 PM
I pretend to know stuff

He just added some more crazy looking stuff. Nice peace's

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 04/04/2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hammerhead
He just added some more crazy looking stuff. Nice peace's
crazy! big $$$!

I wonder.. why does it seem like only a few vendors are getting these pieces and not LFS's? Or is my city just dead and gets the left overs? ... maybe because they cherry pick and pay big money up front because they know profit will be good?
Old 04/04/2005, 02:12 PM
I pretend to know stuff

Lots of vendors will go to LA and hand pick there stuff.

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 04/04/2005, 05:59 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hammerhead
Lots of vendors will go to LA and hand pick there stuff.
Whether they go or not unless you are a Big name all of these types of corals are held in back rooms.

Anthony is usually an honest guy but selleing a "Snow White" Acan Echinata for almost $200 is pushing it. It's abvious that coral is starving for light. Then again it may turn out to be some Rainbow colored Acan once it colors up
Old 04/04/2005, 06:31 PM
who?

I think it's safe to speculate that being a big name is superceeded only by having connections. Some people are obviously connected.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 04/04/2005, 06:32 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Jus Reefin
Whether they go or not unless you are a Big name all of these types of corals are held in back rooms.

Anthony is usually an honest guy but selleing a "Snow White" Acan Echinata for almost $200 is pushing it. It's abvious that coral is starving for light. Then again it may turn out to be some Rainbow colored Acan once it colors up
smirk..nc.
Old 04/04/2005, 08:47 PM
Moved On

You guys are too much...hehe

He is one of the most honest, least fishy dealers I have dealt with. I know how much echinatas cost wholesale and he probably makes more off of one zoo rock than he makes selling even the nicest echinata. That's why most dealers are reluctant to buy/sell echinatas, there's just no markup on those pieces.

I'd strangle a man for a piece of that alien eye!
Old 04/04/2005, 09:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bugsy714
You guys are too much...hehe

He is one of the most honest, least fishy dealers I have dealt with. I know how much echinatas cost wholesale and he probably makes more off of one zoo rock than he makes selling even the nicest echinata. That's why most dealers are reluctant to buy/sell echinatas, there's just no markup on those pieces.

I'd strangle a man for a piece of that alien eye!
That's why I'm surprised he wouldn't just hold that piece until it colors up or not buy it at all. I know how much they are as well but as a respected dealer that he is I was just surprised to see this.
Old 04/04/2005, 10:07 PM
Moved On

:rollseyes: lol..

..even if that echinata wasn't bleached to all hell.. It till wouldn't be worth 155. They are selling for 60-90 bucks all over the place...but to pass it off like it's a special color morph and ask for that much money

The fact that you can get a an Echinata from Reefermadness that is PINK for 139 Shipped to your door.. Should sum it all up right there.

Common bugs, I know you guys have a good deal going but, don't let the skew your judgement...
Old 04/04/2005, 11:29 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

hehe...this is too funny.

I agree with jusreefin about the color, give it time and it will color up or not. It could be a true white echinata which would be pretty cool. But here is where we get into arguements...over the amount someone charges. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Any coral is only worth what the person who HAS to have it, is willing to pay for it.

....(this explains why I am broke)....moment of clariety
Old 04/04/2005, 11:30 PM
Moved On

I agree, that coral is worth what somebody is willing to pay, but don't try to pass of a sick coral as a healthy one and charge full price.. thats just shady.
Old 04/04/2005, 11:42 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

I agree that it is wrong to charge full price for a sick coral...

nobody here can say for sure if that coral is healthy or bleached. I have seen plenty of white echinatas that stay white because that is the color they naturally are.
Old 04/04/2005, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

that is enough.. name calling now? how am i ever being shady? I don't need to come on here to defend myself because i know what i am selling, if you don't like it..don't buy it..I never forced anyone to pay for anything they don't want. Anyhow..alittle info on the echinata, I have had that piece for over 4 months and it was completely white when i bought it and has been like this for all these times..Its an extremely healthy piece, it is in a 20" tall tank about 15" below the surface under 2x 250W HQI AC 14,000K Bulbs for 10 hours a day. I bought it because i thought it was cool that it was white, its not like its bleached or anything.

once again, please do not call me names or refer me as crooks when you don't even know me. enough is enough.
Old 04/04/2005, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

oh, one mroe thing, I don't cherry pick any lps from the wholesalers here in LA. what is wrong having connections, in the world today, everthing is based on connections. I work hard to obtain my connections in this industry. If you are jealous of the stuffs that i can get and you can't, its just too bad, accept it and move on. maybe someday you will have the connections also.
its just too funny to hear how bitter some of you are. *sigh

I wish one of the admin would be kind enough to close this thread, because its getting out of hand and off the topic. TIA.
Old 04/04/2005, 11:50 PM
Moved On

Nobody is calling names.. Did I say. Anthony you are shady. I had a white echinata to, It started off purple and brown, stayed white for 5-6 months before it coloured up because I bleached it.... But if you like I can start pointing things out and paint a nice pretty picture? Common now. Lets be honest. It's bleached coral and your trying to sell it for alot of money and pass it off for a not bleached coral... But really who are we kidding you aren't as kosher as you can be when it comes to your business practices.. Lets not play games here. I'm not *****ing, i'm not complaing, and frankly I really don't care.... Just calling it like i see it. Hey if you get money for em.. more power to you, you got what you wanted.

But I do agree with your second post.. Connections make the world go round..
Old 04/04/2005, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

brahm,

what makes you an expert in this coral? just because you have kept a couple of them? what happen if it wasn't bleached? should i just take it off my site..or better yet..you want to take over and run my site for me? maybe you can do a better job then what i am doing. think about that....

this is the last post i will post on here.. flame on!
Old 04/05/2005, 12:07 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinyChinaMan
brahm,

what makes you an expert in this coral? just because you have kept a couple of them? what happen if it wasn't bleached? should i just take it off my site..or better yet..you want to take over and run my site for me? maybe you can do a better job then what i am doing. think about that....

this is the last post i will post on here.. flame on!
Nobody is flaming you anthony you don't need to get so defensive. Your right. You should know alot more about these things then me you've been doing it for alot longer, and I have kept more then a couple, but this isn't about me.. You should know that most corals aren't white unless they are bleached..because they zoa give them colour pigment which is also what converts light into food.. and no I have no desire to take over your web site or run it for you, (although if you pay me enough I'll make it alot better..shopping cart, decent design, ect.) I'm not telling you what to do, or how to run your site. But don't expect us (rc community) to not comment on your site when your doing things less then kosher and expect us to swallow it..

add:

You gotta, take the good press, with the bad press!

Last edited by brahm; 04/05/2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04/05/2005, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

nice

exellent comments on either side and without resorting to name calling, outstanding!
Old 04/05/2005, 12:36 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinyChinaMan
oh, one mroe thing, I don't cherry pick any lps from the wholesalers here in LA. what is wrong having connections, in the world today, everthing is based on connections. I work hard to obtain my connections in this industry. If you are jealous of the stuffs that i can get and you can't, its just too bad, accept it and move on. maybe someday you will have the connections also.
its just too funny to hear how bitter some of you are. *sigh

If this was pointed at my comment about the good stuff being in the back room I would like to say Jealousy has nothing to do with my comment. I could care less. I can get what I want if I try hard enough so there is no need for me to be Jealous. I know oh so well how the Retail side of the hobby works and that's why I am still a hobbiest. Maybe one day I will take a chance on the other side. The truth is it is about who you know and that's the Sad part and nothing to be proud of IMO. I actually stated that you were a respected dealer and have said you are honest in past threads as well.

I was merley stating an opinion on a coral I seen. Most people in this hobby know that 9 out of 10 WHITE corals are bleached. Maybe this one is not maybe it is know may ever know.

Peace
gone!
Old 04/05/2005, 12:53 AM
Moved On

We should close this thread.....peace!
Old 04/05/2005, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

I have purchased several corals from Anthony and have met him as he is local to me. Those who have met him understand he is a VERY nice person and very humble about the corals he has for purchase. His focus seems to be unusual animals that are not seen everywhere, and those who buy from him, by and large, are not newbies. I would consider a "white" specimen from Anthony for its' "uniqueness" or possible "potential". I purchased a "bleached" cynarina for $50.00 last year from an LFS. as it had unique undertones of color. One year later, it is one of the most beautiful corals in my tank. You never know... that's the fun part. Sometimes very nice corals come in unassuming "clothing" and a lot more interesting than a batch of GSP ........maybe a gamble, but some of us "like to roll the dice"....just my .02