Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2005, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Cuttlefish

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my 225 gallon setup. It used to be a reef, then a FOWLR, and now it's empty with just saltwater, sand, and a couple big shells. I was thinking a shark and ray tank but the tank isn't big enough for any sharks that would swim in the water column and I don't want a solely bottom dwelling tank. So now I'm curious about Cuttlefish. Does anyone know if it would be possible (or even wise) to attempt to keep them in a 225 gallon? How big do they get? Can I have more than one in the tank? What are some of the nicer types of cuttlefish? Do they eat frozen food or only live? Do they need any special care (lighting, flow, hiding spaces, etc)? Are they shy or will they be out and about? What are possible tank maes for them? Where can I get them? I would like to research all these questions but am lazy to surf the web. I was wondering if anyone knew any of the answers or could direct me to a good website about them.
Thanks in advance,
-Nick
Old 02/23/2005, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

sorry your to lazy for them
Old 02/23/2005, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

By lazy, I don't mean I don't do my research, I'm just asking for some guidance as to where to get the research. No need for your smart remarks. Ask anyone here that knows me, I am a responsible aquarist and kept my reef and FOWLR pristine and had very few deaths except for in the blackout. Anyone out there have anything helpful to add instead of another useless remark like scolex's?
Thanks,
-Nick
Old 02/23/2005, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Hi
Your tank is plenty big enough to house a pair of Sepia.o but you will have t rouble finding them right now. You need ro/di water 1.025 on the salinity a good protien skimmer and no copper in the water or heavy metals. There is a lot of stuff on cuttles in the back posts and it is a great source for info.
Old 02/24/2005, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

ceph, thanks for the reply. Yea, that's basically how I was going to run the system, the way I ran my reef minus the lighting. The aspects I'm still unfamiliar with about cuttlers though is what aquascaping do they like? (bare tank, rockwork, plants, etc) and will they eventually take frozen food or do I need a constant source of live food at hand?
Thanks,
-Nick
Old 02/24/2005, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Cuttles like a tank with a fine sandy bottom. Some overhangs and plants, rocks and stuff are fine as long as there are some open sandy areas for them to lay in. As far as food, they will only eat live when they are small for the first few months but will take frozen after that.
Old 02/25/2005, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Might try Inland Aquatics. I understand that they had some a couple of weeks ago. I am following this thread with interest as I have the same questions.
Old 02/26/2005, 11:55 PM
Art and science

A 225 for a pair of cuttlefish that would be awesome
Old 02/27/2005, 01:23 PM
Movin' on up!

CUTTLEFISH INFO

Read this its from a scientist that has been raising cuttles for several generations, i found it informative
Old 03/01/2005, 06:34 AM
Team RC Member

go to www.tonmo.com, a ceph site

also, www.grimreefers.com has a ceph forum

and of course, search this forum