Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2004, 11:36 PM
O|||||||O

Lookin Good!! I like the JBJ tanks....maybe santa will bring one?

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 12/10/2004, 12:03 AM
Queen Premium Member

Thanks bkwudzjeep!!! I see you are selling your 300, will you keep your 40 breeders? Do you have reef tanks or FOWLR?
Old 12/10/2004, 12:37 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mmd
dwain i have that stuff growing too had no idea what it is or how big it gets
Hi mmd,

Its common name is "spindleweed" and the real name is "Neomeris annulata". I don't know how big it gets either but I'll let you know in the coming months or years...

Dwaine
Old 12/10/2004, 12:43 AM
Moved On

What a privilege to what a master artistic reefer (Amanda) plan and build their project right in front of us!!! This is so cool too, etc.!!!

Dwaine
Old 12/10/2004, 01:31 AM
Moved On

love the rock
Old 12/10/2004, 01:47 AM
Moved On

As my wife says, "you paid all that money for a BOX OF ROCKS and you're happy about it!!!"

Dwaine
Old 12/10/2004, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

how many seahorses can you keep in that tank?

@LVIN
Old 12/10/2004, 06:22 AM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterDogs
Hi mmd,

Its common name is "spindleweed" and the real name is "Neomeris annulata". I don't know how big it gets either but I'll let you know in the coming months or years...

Dwaine
My experience is that it grows to about 4 - 5 cm in height and eventually dies off, then springs up somewhere else in the tank months later. I've only ever had 3 - 4 stalks of it growing at any particular point in time.

I've seen it's growth rate increase drastically in tanks w/ calcium/alk supplementation, which should be obvious since it's obviously calcifying.

Amanda - the tank looks great. Looking forward to pics today once the dust settles. Also looking forward to pics down the road to see how that black sand holds up!
Old 12/10/2004, 06:42 AM
Addicted to H2O

This gives me another reason to come visit you this summer. I can't wait to see how everything looks!

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Old 12/10/2004, 07:17 AM
Reef Mania

A picture of my 15g nano, there is not much to it.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/10/2004, 07:50 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Congrats Amanda! Woo Hoo!

In the filtration area you removed the filter sponge and bio balls, and added LR fragments, and carbon right??

Josh

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 12/10/2004, 08:44 AM
Me in Iraq

That's sweet!

I started a thread on www.nano-reef.com about your start up. (hope you don't mind) A lot of people over there have been chomping at the bit to see the big Cube!
Old 12/10/2004, 10:00 AM
Queen Premium Member

Kris, thanks!

Dwaine, thanks as well! However, I'm hardley an artist!

@LVIN, not too sure how many horses I can keep, however, I like 2 for sure!!!

Nate, thanks. I love the black sand, I'm sure it will be awesome!!!! I will be seeding it shortly, but I'm thinking about ordering a week from today or so, I don't want to kill all the pods I just bought because of a cycle.

Kayla, I can't wait for you and Josh to come visit!!

RJ, that 15 gallon is sweet! What will you put in next?

JOsh, I removed everything in the back except the pump. There are 3 compartments in the back, I removed the bio balls, the ceramic rings and all filter material. In the first compartmant, coming in from the main tank, I filled so far with 2 pounds of live rock rubble(2-3 inch pieces), but I plan to add 2 more pounds. In the middle compartment, I will eventually have a large bag of carbon. I did not put any in yet as the cycle has not even begun, or is just beginning and I'd rather wait until the cycle is just about complete. In the last and 3rd compartment there is a pump, and that is all I will have in there. I just love this tank. It's sleek design and simplicity are so awesome!!!

aquaman67, thanks for stopping by my thread!!! Thank you also for mantioning it to other people and by all means, have them visit. I will post lots of pics through out my journey as well as videos. I'd also like to check out that site!!!

I have a question for you all, There is a little cloudiness to the tank this morning, and a slight odor, however, I'd really like to get things going. Can I put a cube of frozen formula one in or a cocktail shrimp in at this point and if i do, how long do I leave the shrimp in for, for the entire cycle, or just to get things going?

Thanks everyone, I will post some pics and a video in a few minutes.

Amanda
Old 12/10/2004, 10:07 AM
m0delgator

Amanda, if the water is cloudy and there's an odor, there's probably enough nutrients in the water to get the cycle going already - I wouldn't worry about adding an ammonia source.

Even if you never see much of an ammonia cycle, the tank is still maturing in a million other ways, and IMHO there's no need to force a big ammonia spike in order to end up with the proper bacterial population.

IMHO, the process of establishing the nitrogen cycle is done to get the bacteria population near an acceptable level. I also feel that most of our tanks (assuming that lots of live rock is used, etc.) go WAAAAAY past that during the cycle, and there's no need to kick-start it with any additional ammonia source. Once the tank has matured and you add your first livestock, all there needs to be as far as bacterial population is enough to be able to quickly adjust to that fish's needs - we don't need to spawn a complete population big enough to support an entirely stocked tank right off the bat.
Old 12/10/2004, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Amanda,
I'm sure this tank will be great. Can't wait to see the entire process from beggining to end. . .
Old 12/10/2004, 10:41 AM
Reef Mania

I am not sure what I will put in to it.

I noticed you have a PH in your Nano-Cube, is that just for the cycle? I thought Seahorses don't like much current.

I thought the Nano-Cubes came with enough current where you don't need a PH.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/10/2004, 10:42 AM
Queen Premium Member

Thanks Nate, I will add nothing then!!!

AJ, thank you for your kind words, I'm so excited to watch the tank progress!!!
Old 12/10/2004, 10:43 AM
Queen Premium Member

RJ, it's a tiny PH, very tiny!! It's flow is extremly soft, but yet enough to circulate the water properly. It's made for a 10-30 gallon tank. Mine being a 24 gallon, I think it will be fine If not, simple solution, take it out!!!

Amanda
Old 12/10/2004, 10:54 AM
Queen Premium Member

Here are some pics and a video I took today. I apologize for the noise on the video, I'm about to do a water change on the 75 gallon and my pre mixed new SW is mixing next to the 24 gallon.

Video...

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/aealoves...2012-10-04.wmv

PIcs...

Here is my sand...

That's all for now. If any one has any suggestions about the tank, as far as aquascaping or anything for that matter, please speak up

Amanda

Last edited by AEALOVESHERGIRLS; 12/10/2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12/10/2004, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Would adding the "Bio Spira" product help jump-start the cycle? This is the only product that I know of that instantly adds good bacteria colonies. For fish only tanks, it allows you to fully cycle the tank in a matter of 24 hours (or less).

http://www.marineland.com/science/nspira.asp
Old 12/10/2004, 11:00 AM
Queen Premium Member

Benny, thanks for the tip, but I'm not going to be adding anything to the tank, it will be cycling naturally. Ya, it takes longer, but this way I know I'm letting it do what it's supposed to in it's own time.
Old 12/10/2004, 11:03 AM
5X WORLD CHAMPIONS

Looking great Amanda!! I am so excited for you!!!
Old 12/10/2004, 11:07 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht
Amanda, if the water is cloudy and there's an odor, there's probably enough nutrients in the water to get the cycle going already - I wouldn't worry about adding an ammonia source.

Even if you never see much of an ammonia cycle, the tank is still maturing in a million other ways, and IMHO there's no need to force a big ammonia spike in order to end up with the proper bacterial population.

IMHO, the process of establishing the nitrogen cycle is done to get the bacteria population near an acceptable level. I also feel that most of our tanks (assuming that lots of live rock is used, etc.) go WAAAAAY past that during the cycle, and there's no need to kick-start it with any additional ammonia source. Once the tank has matured and you add your first livestock, all there needs to be as far as bacterial population is enough to be able to quickly adjust to that fish's needs - we don't need to spawn a complete population big enough to support an entirely stocked tank right off the bat.
Good explaination Nate, that is what I tell people too. If the tank has no live rock, etc. then a piece of raw shrimp will get things going.

Dwaine
Old 12/10/2004, 11:08 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Ditto Lori!

WOW Amanda!

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 12/10/2004, 11:09 AM
m0delgator

Amanda - nice vid. It will be a great tool to document the tank's progress over time.

Did you rinse the sand out before using it?