Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 02:43 AM
Premium Member

chaeto ball rapidly decreasing in size

My chaeto ball seems to be decreasing in size. I'm using the lighting setup from melev's website, so I don't think that it could be light.

The ball looks healthy (dark green). Of course, I'm not sure what color it's ACTUALLY supposed to be.

Also, I'm using a maxijet 900 to "toss" the chaeto so it won't sit stagnant near the bubble trap.

What are the possibilities for decreasing size?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to post with another question, but what are the effects of dieing macro in our systems?

because a reduce in size means die off right?
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails
Old 01/11/2008, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

My chaeto jut decintergrated one day for no reason. It may have been out competed by red hair algae I'm not sure but chaeto can just do that sometimes! I saved a tiny peice and it has started to grow well..soon it might be able to be removed from the rock its trapped round!

Dying macro in our systems means leaching of Nitrates and PO4 into the system which is a kick in the teeth saying we put the macro into our system to stop that! Decrease in size is more than likly dieoff unless its just being condensed!

What are your parameters mouscy babes? Lol sorry!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

I had a big ball of chaeto and it is now very small. I added more to it and it still got smaller. Water parameters are fine, using the Melev light.

I finally decided to go with Caulerpa Prolifera. It is not having the problems. Yes, there are other problems it can cause but I just add it to the long list of potential problems I can have in my tank :-)
Old 01/11/2008, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

if your chaeto ball is decreasing in size, check for NO3 and PO4, chances are they are very low, maybe undectable, and the algae is simply being nutrient starved. Just a guess, but agree that any decaying algae be removed before if breaks down to mush and contaminates your system....
Old 01/11/2008, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone.

I did add more cured live rock to my display, which may be depleting the nitrates. Never thought more rock would COMPLETELY deplete it.

I better weigh the rocks I have in my tank. It's probably more than the 1.5/gal limit.