Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2002, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Question Will it hurt?

On another note, today I started trying to feed my octo krill. I was up late last night reading posts on this thread and notcied some people were able to get they're octo to eat frozen krill.

I had some that my ray eats, so I decided to try.

I put it in the tank and the octo ignored it, he's used to fresh water crawfish and usually plays with them a bit before he eats them.

So I grabbed one for the larger krill and put it down by one of his legs, first he latched onto my hand, and darted at it ( I almost wet myself), then he took the krill and went ot a corner to sit and eat.

My question is, if I allow him to latch onto my hands, will he bite? And if he does, how bad will it be? My Bali seems very aggressive, almost like he has a bad attitude, and I really don't want a nasty bite from him.

I would love to start interacting with him more, if I could do it in a safe way for both of us. I must say I was fairly supprised that thsi animal almost seems to crave attention. he's always following me around the room on his glass, and actually seems to try and get a reaction from me if I sit and watch him.

Any information would be appreciated.
Old 08/24/2002, 09:00 AM
www.tonmo.com

Hi
I used to feed my Bali from my heand all the time and not once did it try to bite. Maybe let it get used to accepting food off of a stick or similar first so it figures out what is happening?

I agree that i think that 'Longarms' was the most aware of the world outside its tank

C
Old 08/24/2002, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Good question, i also want to know. When I hand feed the octopus many times he seems more interested with my hand then the food. He gets four arms wrapped around my finger and starts tugging. He tries really hard to pull me in the tank, but when I resist he eventually lets go. Would he ever bite out of curiosity? Could he break the skin or would it just feel like a little pinch?

pat

current tank: www.rpi.edu/~marioj/galleries/tank
octopus tank: http://www.rpi.edu/~marioj/octopus
Old 08/26/2002, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

I don't have an octo, but I can offer this bit of advice. They can bite, and they will break your skin if they do.

My brother got bit by what I am assuming to be a baby bimac when we were diving off the keys. The octo just crawled out of what we thought was an empty conch shell and onto my brothers hand. He was getting ready to put the octo back in the water when he got bit. It was only a little guy. His "body" was about the size of a Jumbo Egg so the wound was rather small, however it was there. I don't know if your eight-armed friend will bite you if he knows you. But if you startle him and he is in a position to do so it is a possibility. HTH.

Jared
Old 08/26/2002, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

seaslug,
If it was off the keys it wasnt a bimac.

I let mine crawl on me all the time, and it never lets go, I have to pry it off my hands...Dont be afraid of a little bite, Dogs bite but you still pet them...I am sure dog bite is worse than little baby octopuss bite anyway...Take it like a Man\Woman! Grab your ceph today Just be careful, and please remember...It may very well bite you! But so will an ant eater a cat a walruss, and a ton of others...hell, I might bite you to!
Old 08/26/2002, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Before we "hug our ceph today", let's keep in mind that their beak can break snail shells. Call me crazy, but I don't think my finger is as strong as a snail shell. I'm all for trying myself in time, but let's all keep in mind that this is a wild animal. When you pull your hand from the tank and the Octo goes flying accorss the room, remeber to get him and put him back..

I must admit though, I'm going to try at some point as well. I've gotten as far as petting his head...we will see how it goes. My suggestion...do it slowly...

Bill

Here's an idea, have a point to your story, it makes it SO much more interesting to the listener...
Old 08/26/2002, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

goodman770,

Your octo lets you pet its head without grabbing you? Thats cool, My octo doesnt like its head touched, it just want to crawl on me

"let's keep in mind that their beak can break snail shells. Call me crazy, but I don't think my finger is as strong as a snail shell"

An adult doberman can rip the tires off a SUV, Yet they are commonly kept as pets
Old 08/26/2002, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Funny you should mention dobermans. My family I have had about 5 over the years and not one of them has ever even growled at me. Ironicaly, my girlfriends Chihuahua has bit me more times than my dobies ever growled at me. However, I'm still working on getting my Octo to growl...at least before he bites me.
And for my next trick....

Here's an idea, have a point to your story, it makes it SO much more interesting to the listener...
Old 08/26/2002, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

A Octos beak is not what penetrates a snails or clams shell. A octo has a raspy tounge called a radula. It files its way though the shell, then injects it's saliva to break down the meal.
On a clam shell, the octo will drill over the abductor muscle and inject is saliva into the muscle so the shell can be opend.
If florida, O.joubini is notorious for washing up in shells and biting people. Its a feisty little octopus. I have handled wild octopus and not been bitten, I have seen people who have been bit. Its usually a defensive bite. My best advive is if you are going to try interacting with your octo, do it when they are small lol. Let the octo come to you and explore you. Like people, all octos have different personalities. So if it shys away.. leave it alone.
Old 08/26/2002, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Asterix
I am sure dog bite is worse than little baby octopuss bite anyway...
Unless it's a baby blue-ring...
Old 08/26/2002, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Sushi to the rescue...lol...

Old 08/26/2002, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Blue ring bite? Nah, It feels good, Kind of trippy...wooooooow....everything is...fading...away....ohhh ****

-Death
Old 08/27/2002, 02:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I've gotten as far as petting his head...
That is funny!!!! Mine has grabbed a hold of my hand before. It is hard to just give your hand to it, but you need to keep in mind not to hurt it. They are sooo strong and curious... Truly a beautiful animal

Old 02/23/2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

i know a shirmper off of south carolina who had his index and middle finger taken off by an octo with a head about the size of a basket ball... keep that in mind
Old 02/23/2005, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Let my sound another cautionary note here. All octopus have a saliva that is more or less toxic. Some are more venoomous than others. Aside from blue-rings and possibly motuti, other species are not considered deadly, but a species such as O. rubescens has a bite similar to a bee or wasp sting. Then there are the possibilities of infection and allergy. Octopuses harbor many bacteria, protozoans and other organisms that can cause infection. It is not a good idea to let them through your skin. Furthermore, it is never a good idea to introduce large organic molecules into your system. You really don't know how your immune system will react to them.

Finally, do you really know what species you are dealing with? Species that come in from Indonesia are often called Bali octopus, but there are three or four species that are somewhat similar and that are occasionally shipped from that part of the world. To my knowledge, no one has the faintest idea if any of them might be toxic, but a couple of them are day-active and it would not surprise me if they had a stronger than usual venom.

I've been bitten several times by various species of octopus and I go out of my way to avoid it. I guess I just don't understand the mentality that wants to make physical contact with other species. As an animal behaviorist, I do understand many of the reasons why humans want to touch other humans. I guess the person who wants to touch a dog, kitten or octopus just can't control those urges.
Old 02/23/2005, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

I have handled some species, been very careful of most. I have never been bitten but a good size octopus is extremely strong and can test your nerves when it dosen't want to let go lol. Nice pic of a O.dofleini bite in "Cephalopods A World Guide"