Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2005, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

A Emerald Mithrax Crab, will it fit in with my tank inhabitants?

I've got a horrible bubble algae problem and wanted to get a emerald crab to hopefully fix it. I have an YWG, pistol shrimp, two clowns, a GBTA anemone, and misc. soft corals. Doe the crab look harmful to anything in my tank? I was thinking about buying two for my 29 gallon tank. Thank you for your time.

Dominic
Old 11/26/2005, 09:06 PM
Custodial Dad :)

I don't see any issues, mine are good community crabs. I have heard that when they get big they CAN be oppertunistic.
Old 11/26/2005, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Perfect. Thank you for your time.
Old 11/26/2005, 09:31 PM

NP
Old 11/26/2005, 09:37 PM
Hulkamaniac

I just bought one yesterday. I have already had to get him off my sps twice. One more time and he's history.
amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1
Old 11/27/2005, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Mine thinks Green Star pollips are yummy. I'm not sure if he was just climbing on em or eating them but in either case they were toast. Fortunately, I have new growth so they are making a come back.

I don't think these crabs are harmless, just ask my star pollips He also scrapes the corralline off while snacking on algea. You can see where it looks like someone scrapped the rock with something hard.

On the positive side, I had a few instances of bubble algea and he did eat them.

Doesn't seem to bother my galaxy, clams, fish, fungia, BTA or crabs. Maybe its just he color green he is attracted to!
Old 11/27/2005, 11:15 AM
Member of SEA-T

i have 3 in my 75g. 1 big male and 2 small females. i have never had any problems with the attacking any coral, fish or other invert. i have mushrooms, green stars, candy canes, a hammer, zoos, an open brain, and a leather. never had a problem. i would recommend only getting one for a 29. i feed mine about once a week with some algae strip. it seems to keep them from hunting a meal.
Old 11/27/2005, 11:22 AM

Guess the moral of the story is keep an eye on it, because you can never be sure. Just like most things in this hobby.
Old 11/27/2005, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

just had to remove a mithrax from my tank because it was destroying my Euphyllia. Yeah, keep an eye on it. Any suspicious new damage, assume it's the crab.
Old 11/27/2005, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I seen my picking on some zoas- the ones that I just recieved and some I just made a frag of. If he rips one more polyp of a rock- he gets to live in the tank of misfits.