Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 11/26/2005, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Metal Halide And my 46 Gal Bowfront

I am getting a Metal Halide for my 46 gal bowfront....as you know there is a support strap across the middle of the tank. The Metal Halide (250 watt bulb) will be 9" above the support strap. Will this melt it?
Old 11/26/2005, 12:25 AM
Team RC Member

Most likly it would make it very hot. I would cut it out and replace it with an arcylic brace. Many other people have done this. Post in the DIY forum for info on how to do this.
Old 11/26/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Instead of cutting it would't it be better to just lay the acrylic strip over and glue it down?
Old 11/26/2005, 12:36 AM
Team RC Member

You could try that. Never tried it but I would ask for other feedback first. When I asked the same question, for my 36 gallon, everyone told me to cut out the brace and replace it but no one said anything about that. It may work.
Old 11/26/2005, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I was told the reason for cutting and replacing with acrylic was that when using just one metal halide in the center it will cast a shadow, I actually just replaced mine today as I am setting up my 46.Good luck!
Old 11/26/2005, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure why you would want to cut it out....if you did do you have a photo of it? There is no way I would cut it with the tank full and I just got the tank setup.
Old 11/26/2005, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

I am just getting mine setup so its empty, brace was cut bye previous owner but acrylic brace he added had come off, he said it was off for a while with tank still running but I did not want to chance it with any additional stress. There was about 2-3" of original brace left at front and back,I actually cut two pieces of acrylic the same with, drilled two holes on each end and attached pieces sandwhiching oringinal stubbs with nylon bolts. Maybe just try the light and see what happens, maybe the shadow is not that bad?Good luck
Old 11/26/2005, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Or you can just get 2 pendants.
Old 11/26/2005, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fkshiu
Or you can just get 2 pendants.
I noticed you have a 46gal...Are you usung 2 pendants?
Old 11/26/2005, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Nope, but I wanted to originally. However, the tank is in my livingroom where a very curious 3 year-old is often seen scurrying about. I didn't want high voltage ballasts and hot bulbs around so I went with a 4x39W T5 Tek-light unit. It works very well and I'll be trying clams and SPS underneath it soon.
Old 11/26/2005, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I just took down a 46 gallon bow front with a 250 watt Mh pendant hanging above. I think me pendant was 12 inches above the brace. I had it lower and the brace was warm so I raised it to be careful. It did leave a shadow, but I did not see it as a big deal. The corals sure liked the light.
Old 11/27/2005, 01:50 PM
Burning Down the Couch!

i would just leave it in and go wit 2 175's thats what i have on mine looks great and i can keep anything

There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up!!!!!!

Here we go STEELERS here we go!