Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

125 used setup-new equipment questions

I just bought a used 125 g FOWLR setup and got it moved yesterday. The current equiptment consists of:
Magnum 350 Canister Flter w/Biowheels
Seaclone 150 Protein Skimmer
Fluidized Bed Filter
300 W Heater
Rio 2100 Powerhead
3 x 30W 36" NO Florescent lights

It also has about 50 pounds LR, crushed coral substrate and the inhabitant include:
1 yellow tang
2 ocellaris clowns
2 firefish
2 cardinal pajama fish
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 hermit crabs

The livestock all appear to be in great condition and are eating well after the move yesterday. I am planning on upgrading the tank to a reef tank gradually. This is my first SW tank and am learning as a I go. I have already ordered a new set of lights (Icecap 72" x 2 VHO Retrofit kit) and making my christmas list for new equiptment for the tank. My plan is first to upgrade the filtration system and the start working on LR and substrate and then lights before considering any corals. I am planning on adding a sump and refuge in my basement. Here is my plan for the first set of new equipment.

Lifereef double overflow (1400 gph)
ASM G4x skimmer
Sequence Reeflo UNO Wahoo return pump (~14'head from basement, 1000gph)
100g Rubbermaid Sump and 50g Rubbermaid Refugium

How does this setup sound? Any other recommendations on equipment? Once I get this upgraded then I will start working on LR, substrate and lighting. Thanks for any input/suggestions.
Old 11/27/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

looks fine, Id strongly consider MH if you want SPS. and I just love the look.

and Id suggest you drill the tank rather than useing an overflow. you will be happy you did. a drill is about 10$ off ebay. bulkheads are about 10$ each. peace of mind that your overflow is 99.9% foolproof, priceless.
Old 11/27/2005, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Can I drill the tank with the system running and livestock in it? I don't have any where to keep all the livestock while I empty the tank and drill it. I would prefer to drill the tank but didn't think that it would be an option since it is a running system already.
Old 11/27/2005, 01:35 PM
mmmmmm Fish

it has been done but you would have to empty the tank at least partially to try, but I don't recommend it-- you need big brass ones to attempt it....

I would consider taking the tank down for a few days to drill it... buy a bunch of 25 gallon rubbermaid totes to store the water/livestock.

how to drill your tank

easier now considering you are light on rock at the time--- will only be harder later

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen