Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2005, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Maximum size for Lysiosquillina maculata is about 40 cm. I've followed some animals in Hawaii for 20 years and these are large, but not as big as L. maculata gets.

Roy
Old 01/26/2005, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Have you eaten them?
Old 01/26/2005, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Many times and many species. Squilla mantis is popular in Italy, Lysiosquillina in the Indo-Pacific, various squillids are eaten in Japan, and Odontodactylus scyllarus is often served in Indonesia.

Roy
Old 01/28/2005, 09:44 PM
Art and science

Dr. Roy what size tank do you keep the bluerings in?
Old 02/09/2005, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Re: Been there, done that, regretted it.

Quote:
Originally posted by brandoug
I worked in a LFS in early 90's. I was obsessed with octopi. My long awaited dream came true one day when my request to a supplier who had a reputation for the near impossible sent me my first blue ring. He cost me $9. I put him in a well established 55g. reef setup with no regard for the other inhabitants. Within several weeks it had consumed every ornamental, benefical or otherwise inhabiting crab and shrimp in the system. I didn't care, he was fat and happy and so was I (happy, not fat). After that I supplemented his staple of saltwater mollies with a weekly supply of small crabs and other crustaceans from the "sludge" in the bottoms of the boxes and buckets of LR we would get. I knew well his potential, but feared him little. He was very active (mostly early and late in the day) but as soon as the hood for the aquarium was opened he would head for his hide out, an abandon shell that had once housed a good sized hermit crab (one of his first victims). This allowed me tank maintenence time and kept us from coming to odds. I had that one for over two years and he never got much bigger than the quarter sized head that he had when I got him. One day he didn't come out to eat and I found him in the enterance to his beloved shell, dead. I presume this was from old age as their life expectancy is only around 4 years. Over the next few years I kept many other strange animals and built up quite a stock in the tank until one day that same supplier called and told me he was sending me a suprise with our next shipment. That suprise (which he charged me $36 for) was three more blus rings. Common sense kept me from offering them at the store so I took all three home. One was in bad shape on arrival and died during acclimation. The other two I put into the main system but kept in their shipping containers while I frantically began setting up a second tank. I worked late into the night but was unable to finish the setup because I needed some plumbing supplies and additional salt. The next morning I checked the tank before heading out to get what I needed and was amazed that both shipping containers were empty, thus proving to me that octopi can fit through anything their beaks are smaller than. The vent holes in the containers were less than 1/8" in dia.! I found them quickly enough. They were locked in a life and death struggle as the larger of the two was trying to conren the smaller one. They racer over the rocks, in and out of crevices and finally did battle under a rock shelf. The larger one enguled the smaller ones head in his matle, there was much tentacle thrashing and finally the bigger one moved on leaving the dead loser behind. In reflection I was amazed that he did not eat it. He then set up house much like the previous one had. Eating first all of my crabs and shrimp, then supplementing his diet of mollies and weekly crabs/shrimp with all of my other tank fish! The only animal he was never able to capture was a porcelin crab that lived on a good sized carpet anomone. He tried, constantly! And that was his demise after about a year and a half of trying. One day my housemate called me to tell me that she had seen him try to get that crab again and when he did the carpet got him. She said it touched the anomone and when it did it was all over. That it struggled to get free for a few seconds and then went still. Then the carpet, aided by the crab, ate him. In reflection I have always regretted having kept them. Not only do I feel that I shortened their life span and limited the expansion of their species but I also regret all the fish (and not just for the money) that I sacrficed to them. I have a couple of pics that I scanned of the two that did battle but the file size exceeds the 50K limit. If someone can tell me how to make them smaller I'll post them.

That was a cool story by the way...
Old 02/21/2005, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

Wow blue rings are amazing!!, I want more info though, I take it a place for them to hide in your tank is a MUST, but could i get away with say just sum small substrate and say one big shell or something for it to hide in? The reason I ask is, I noticed in some of your pictures they were quite difficult to see against the rock, I would mainly like the species for its looks and if I cant see it its not much fun

Is there a minimum tank size for them? cause they seem very small!

Water temp! You said something about them in northern australia, they must like very warm waters then? could i get a temperature range where they would be happy? I live in Australia so I would be most likely getting species from Australia, if that makes a difference.

Water conditions! I know everything likes good water conditions, but how hardy are they? could I get away with say a 10gal tank with just live rock for filtration?

How many can you put in a single tank? or is it limited to just 1..

Thanks in adavance for taking the time to read and answer my questions!
Old 02/21/2005, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

There are several Australian species. The most common are H. fasciata from Brisbane to southeastern Australia and H. maculosa on the coast of southern Australia. There are two or three other species in the north and west, but they are undescribed. H. fasciata requires temperatures from 17 ro 22 C. H. maculaosa a bit lower. From my experience, they tend to spend much of their time during the day sitting on the side of the aquarium.
Old 03/05/2005, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Roy, Where do you acquire these hundreds of stomatopods??? Do you ever sell or retire any of your specimens to a private home?
Old 03/06/2005, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Most specimens are collected at marine stations in Australia, Moorea, Indonesia, Hawaii, Panama and Florida. Unusual species or animals used in experiments where we need to maintain data on individuals are preserved. Surplus animals usually go to feed our octopus. Because of the nature of our funding, I'm not allowed to sell surplus animals.

Roy