Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

freedom filter

does anybody know anything about the freedom filter? I have seen it in aquarium fish mag and am considering it . Wouls like any info .
Thanks ,
Danny
Old 03/08/2007, 10:46 PM
RC Mod

They seem okay, if mostly redundant for a reef tank. I just depend on live rock and protein skimming for primary filtration. Running carbon is useful, too.
Old 03/08/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Well I did not think about the whole useless filter media thing but I guess your right. I was thinging it might be of some use in a big tank that was not drilled but it really will serve little purpose . Any other opinions out there?
Old 03/08/2007, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

I use them in my tanks. Got them before I found this site and needed an all-in-one HOB system, as I didn't want drill. I've been pretty happy so far. They seem a little overpriced, but I was able to get a real good deal on mine. Keep in mind that you won't be able to dry skim, the darkest skimmate I've been able to get is tea-coloured.
Old 03/09/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Any updates on the freedom filter? Anyone have issues with it?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Anyone have a Freedom Filter?
Old 01/11/2008, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I am in the same boat as you, b.branscombe. They are somewhat useful , but do not use the protein skimmer as your only skimmer.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I had a freedom filter and wound up getting rid of it. I had it on a 65 gallon tank, with about 150 lbs of live rock, and very little livestock. Eventually I began having alot of trouble with nitrates. Once I got rid of the freedom filter the nitrates went away. I also had to run a HOB filter as well, because the freedom filter did nothing for particles in the water column. The skimmer was terrible, it pulled out very little. I would avoid a freedom filter, your better off getting live rock, and a good skimmer.