Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

ok here's the big one today...

didnt get a shot of the little one, the lights went out just as i was goin to take the pic, and i didnt want to wait for the halides to cool off
Old 08/28/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

i decreased the flow and kinda getting some disc to show. It couldnt be happier. The tropic marin pro A and K IMO is helping out a bunch, i dont know why but i seems like since the addition of the elements the coral is more stable except for the salinity drop...but it pulled through it fast...only like 3 days. He is looking healthy.
until next time...
I might move the little elegance 3/4 of the way up the rockwork to acclimate to brighter light, and i will be documenting color change polyp expansion and any other effects. so stay tuned.
Old 09/12/2007, 06:51 AM
always hungry

Looks like the big one pulled through with no problems. Did you ever try moving the little one?
Old 09/12/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

not yet i havent had any time at al for anything except cleaning the skimmer I looked around the tank and theres no spots where it can sit without getting blasted with flow...i guess thats the downfall of a mixed species tank huh?
Old 09/13/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

i hope you guys dont mind if i talk about my elegance. i have a 180 and it has its own valley like structure i created to protect it from currents. depending on the week it will eat everyday or every other day. i believe it benefits a little from nitrates in the water. the lfs that i got it from had it for four mths when i got it and it was pretty big. but i get better polyp extension and i have had it for five months. there nitrates are about 5ppm. mine are 25ppm. i am hopeful that it will thrive. also i noticed that alot of people have shortr stubbier tentacles than mine. is that a good thing or a bad thing. is it a function of flow light or food?
Old 09/24/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

here's an update
big one

little one
Old 09/25/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

gsellers1245, elegance coral - Brilliant job with this thread! Good luck with your elegance projects/experiments. I recently aquired an "Aussie" elegance based on the positive feedback from their owners so I will be closely following this thread. Cheers to the success of our elegances!
Old 09/26/2007, 05:50 PM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by dadonoflaw
i hope you guys dont mind if i talk about my elegance. i have a 180 and it has its own valley like structure i created to protect it from currents. depending on the week it will eat everyday or every other day. i believe it benefits a little from nitrates in the water. the lfs that i got it from had it for four mths when i got it and it was pretty big. but i get better polyp extension and i have had it for five months. there nitrates are about 5ppm. mine are 25ppm. i am hopeful that it will thrive. also i noticed that alot of people have shortr stubbier tentacles than mine. is that a good thing or a bad thing. is it a function of flow light or food?
I don't think gsellers1245 minds if you talk about your coral. While healthy Elegance corals may be able to tolerate higher nitrates than some other animals, it's not good for them. As nitrates climb their expansion decreases. The size and shape of their tentacles depends on their health and environment. A very healthy Elegance in the proper environment will have long cylindrical tentacles that taper to a point. If they are ill, recovering from being ill, or in the wrong environment their tentacles can be shorter or abnormally shaped. If an Elegance becomes very ill, it may take a year or more for its tentacles to become long and cylindrical.
Old 09/26/2007, 06:04 PM
always hungry

Glenn,
Nice job! They still look great. I just went back and looked at page one of the thread. Your corals look sooooo much healthier than they did when you first got them.
Old 09/26/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

i added a 40 gallon refugium and its helping alot here's the new addition

ALSO UPGRADED THE REFLECTORS DIY LUMENARCS

Old 09/28/2007, 11:31 AM
always hungry

Awesome tank! I had no idea your tank was kickin like that! You made those reflectors?
Old 09/28/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

SRE DID...and i have the materials to make one more. If you want it its yours. I will show you how to build it, or i can build it for you. LMK
Old 09/28/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

it would be for free of course...i got them really cheap
Old 09/28/2007, 05:24 PM
always hungry

Sure, I'll take it. Thanks Glenn. I'm setting up another system for my next project, and that reflector would be perfect. Maybe if you have time you could stop by and take some pictures while you're here. If not, I'll drive to you.
Old 09/29/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

i dont mind driving, and i wold love to take pics of your tanks for you. I'll go ahead and build the reflector for you and i'll get in touch with you sometime to meet up, i got a couple of busy weeks ahead so i'll se what i can do
Old 09/29/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

looks good. I used to have my clown host in my elegance and the elegance would get so big that I coudlnt find the clownfish in my tank. Then out of no where, the clownfish came from the inside the elegance. he was hiding inside and was covered by the tentacles. Those were the good old days
Old 11/28/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

ok long time no post.....both elegance still alive but some problems. Both elegance are responding by not opening up. Its been this way for weeks now. The little one has no tissue loss but the big one has the tissue receeding on one side.They will both still accept food but not open all the way. The big one honestly i think is the reaction to the lighting. I went from 20k xm to a 20k radium.
Alkalinity has remained the same at 11
calcium ranges from 440-480
phos-0
nitrate-<5
amm-0
I just dont understand. The water parameters have been consistent for the duration of captivity. The only things that catch my eye...both react the same...maybe a lack of or possibly build up of a certain element. So i'm thinking a big water change...50%

I also thought possibly a nitrate spike....removed a cup of sand for a fellow reefer.

Better yet what about chemical warfare....i have removed sinularia and added a big toadstool leather. The leather is upstream from the elegance. Soooo ****ible culprit.
Darren i will post pics tomorrow and i have not forgot about you i still have your reflector. What do you think man?
Old 11/29/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 11/29/2007, 07:11 PM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by gsellers1245
ok long time no post.....both elegance still alive but some problems. Both elegance are responding by not opening up. Its been this way for weeks now. The little one has no tissue loss but the big one has the tissue receeding on one side.They will both still accept food but not open all the way. The big one honestly i think is the reaction to the lighting. I went from 20k xm to a 20k radium.
Alkalinity has remained the same at 11
calcium ranges from 440-480
phos-0
nitrate-<5
amm-0
I just dont understand. The water parameters have been consistent for the duration of captivity. The only things that catch my eye...both react the same...maybe a lack of or possibly build up of a certain element. So i'm thinking a big water change...50%

I also thought possibly a nitrate spike....removed a cup of sand for a fellow reefer.

Better yet what about chemical warfare....i have removed sinularia and added a big toadstool leather. The leather is upstream from the elegance. Soooo ****ible culprit.
Darren i will post pics tomorrow and i have not forgot about you i still have your reflector. What do you think man?
Good to see you back

I like the 50% water change idea. I would also add or change out your carbon. If I had to guess, I would say there is some type of toxin in the water. It may be from the leather or other tank inhabitants, or it could be from an outside source. Air fresheners and chemicals used to clean the house can easily make their way into an aquarium. When there is something wrong with the water, Elegance corals are usually one of the first to show their disapproval.
I have kept Elegance corals with Leathers without having any problems. Never a large leather though. Maybe 4". If there is a problem with the water, it may cause the leather to produce more toxins than normal which would compound the problem. I know that when GSP is upset, it will produce more toxins, and Elegance corals really do not like GSP toxins. I think things will turn around if you do a large water change and add activated carbon.
Let us know how things turn out.

Darrell
Old 11/29/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

i added a whole mesh bag of carbon yesteray forgot to post it. I moved todastool to the 12 gallon nano. I have water mixing right now....No air fresheners, Today it is opened up a tiny bit but not like it used to...Pics to come
Old 11/29/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

here's pics as promised
LITTLE ONE

BIG ONE

Old 12/02/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

ok did a 40 gallon water change today...everything looks happy...added another bag of carbon too...updates to come this week
Old 12/03/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

this could be a reaction to too much care. You might with honerable intentions caused a little bit of instability for the elegance and its reacting that way.