Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/04/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

zebra eel

Do zebra eels (Gymnomuraena zebra) eat a lot?
Old 07/04/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

My zebra eel eats 3shrimps 2 times a week. Tihink hi is about 40 cm.. Hi is verry cool. Live together whith a lots of cleaner shrimps whitout any problems..
Old 07/04/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

You should feed a Zebra moray 2-3 times a week, and feed to satiation.
Old 07/04/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

do not feed to satiation! lions are know to beg and beg for food, even if they have a full stomach. feed too much and food may have time to actually rot inside their stomachs and give them bacterial infections... this is mentioned somewhere in the "lionfish info sheet"

only feed the amount of a single silverside per feeding for a full grown zebra lion.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:05 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Umm, they're talking about a Zebra Eel.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 07/05/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

duuhhhhhh. my bad. wow i need to learn how to read.

at any rate i still dont believe in feeding until an EEL is about to burst either. there are some eels who learn to recognize food sources (you) and will beg even after they are "full".
Old 07/05/2007, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

I feed my zebra 2-3x a week to satiation using a feeding stick. I place a piece of krill on the feeding stick and place the stick right by his cave. I usually tap the rock where his cave is with the stick and he knows it's feeding time. He usually takes about 5 pieces of krill than returns back to his cave when he is done eating. I find that with my zebra, that once he is full he stops excepting food from the stick and just goes back to relaxing.

I know that my zebra will eat again the next day, because when I feed the other fish he smells the food in the water and comes right out of his cave searching for the food. But i resist his begging and only feed him like I stated above.
Old 07/05/2007, 07:35 AM
Team RC Member

my zebra eel will feed to satiation, but my Brazilian dragon moray will not easily stop. this eel is half the size of the zebra, but will eat 4-5X as much! It starts to look like an overstuffed sausage casing, about to pop.
Old 07/05/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I fed my fish every day and my zebra would eat when it felt like it - about every other day. It always seemed pretty good about not eating when it was full.

Of course, it would eat more at the end of one of it's hunger strikes.