Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy bulkhead leak

Tank leaked, I got the tank changed over. Lost 5 fish and some corals.
One of my bulkheads is leaking. Do you think I can put some silicone around the bottom of the bulkhead?
Thanks Steve
No sleep in three days.
Old 01/13/2007, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Can you tighten the jamb nut, or is it overtightened??

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 01/13/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

I backed the nut off to let the seal dry, I don't think I overtightened it.
Old 01/13/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

As long as the glass is clean most bulkheads should seal hand tight, if not you may need a new gasket if it is possible to remove the bulkhead in your configuration you can get gaskets at aquatic ecosystems for a few bucks. Silicone may work but I think theres a better fix in most cases
Old 01/13/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I've found that having another person push down on the top of the bulkhead (tank side), while you tighten up the nut, fixes this problem. Sometimes all you need is just the sightest turn to stop a leak.
Old 01/13/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I glued the pluming on the bottom of the bulkhead.
I well try to adjust the nut.
Old 01/13/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Good, hope it works for you. Nothing is worse than a leaky tank!

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 01/13/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Hopefully the new tank well last longer then the first, 210gal makes a very big mess.
Old 01/13/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Be careful, you can crack the bulkhead by overtightening it; as a general practice when I put my bulkhead in I put a small layer of silicone on the gasket that will go against the glass and I put a thin layer on the threads of the bulkhead instead of using teflon tape. It works well and I have never had a bulkhead leak using this. With that said, I did have a bulkhead leak from overtightening it and cracking it; plus in a smaller tank, I cracked the glass by tightening a bulkhead. Also, if you overtighten a bulkhead you can cause the gasket to stretch and move out of position and actually slip over the bulkhead.
Old 01/13/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Try some Leak Ender 2000, Then order a new blukhead, plan a drain, replace and fast refill.

in the mean time, rig up a way with a plastic tarp or bag to reclaim the water, and empty the bucket every couple hours... or how ever often...

I have found that some vaseline (jelly) on the rubber seal at install, the bulkhead seals without being cranked so tight... and...

2 out of 5 people intsall bulkheads incorrectly. the seal goes inside the tank. The NUT on the outside. and only finger tight. I was even at an experience friends home, and after examination, his were backwards as well.

Good Luck.
Old 01/13/2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

You should NOT need silicone on a bulkhead, nor do you need sealant on the threads. The GASKET sandwiched between the GLASS and FLANGE is what stops the water. The threaded portion and nut do nothing to stop water, and if you are using sealant there to stop water, then you have other problems.

Bulkhead gaskets need to be hand tight than 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a suitable tool (channel locks, etc).

The most important part that people seem to miss is that the bulkhead IS NOT designed to support plumbing!!!! Plumbing IS NOT DESIGNED to support itself! You need to build supports, use plastic hangers, etc.

Again if properly installed and the plumbing is properly supported, your bulkheads will not leak.

Quote:
2 out of 5 people intsall bulkheads incorrectly. the seal goes inside the tank. The NUT on the outside. and only finger tight. I was even at an experience friends home, and after examination, his were backwards as well.
Jmkarcs, the FLANGE can go on EITHER side. The imporant part is that the gasket always goes between the flange and the glass. Let me repeat that. You can place the FLANGE SIDE of the bulkhead either inside the tank OR outside the tank, it does not matter. The GASKET MUST go between the flange and the glass, not EVER between the GLASS and the NUT.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that on a plywood tank, with the flange on the outside and holes that are not sealed all the way through, water will contact the wood core as the gasket and flange are not in the inside of the tank. If this does not make sense, please ask.

Bean
Old 01/15/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by medic29
...as a general practice when I put my bulkhead in I put a small layer of silicone on the gasket ...

Also, if you overtighten a bulkhead you can cause the gasket to stretch and move out of position and actually slip over the bulkhead.
The gasket squirms out because you put silicon on it and made it slippery. Rubber gaskets are meant to be installed DRY.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra