Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

more efficient magnesium additive?

i'm looking for more efficient magnesium additive...i tried both TM and WM and i see almost 0 increase in after used up both bottle.

however, i didn't do the require amount but i try to separate the dosage and finish the bottle in 7 days...after all, i barely see any change... is it possible cuz i'm dosing kalk? any other better way or stuff i can use to bring up my mag ?
Old 01/03/2008, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

Seachem worked best for me. You could try putting an old Volkswagon bug block in your sump. (lame joke, they were made of magnesium)
Old 01/03/2008, 02:37 AM
Premium Member

try magflakes and epsom salt
Old 01/03/2008, 02:47 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

With a tank as big as yours, I wouldn't buy anything but mag flake + epsom salt as Yinger has mentioned. I went through a whole gallon of TechM with my 60 gal, I can only imagine what you would need for your 210.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

and where can i find mag flake and epsom salt ? (wat's epsom salt anyway? ) any link ?
Old 01/03/2008, 03:24 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Go here for recipe. Basically, it's a ratio of:

63% (5 cups) magnesium chloride hexahydrate
37% (3 cups) Epsom salts

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=742944

You can find the Epsom Salts at CVS or Rite-Aid in the First Aid aisle

Mag Flakes are usually bought from group buys, but I'm sure you can find a fellow reefer who will be willing to sell/spare you a few cups worth.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:12 AM
Premium Member

IIRC you have a 180

according to Reef Chemistry Calculator © it would take about 1/2 gallon of the WM to raise your MG from 1200 to 1400, not sure how much that cost but but the 3 pounds of epsoms that it would take to do the same thing is under $10, I think more like $4
Old 01/03/2008, 09:17 AM
Sannin

I saw some epson salt at the 99C store once in a while.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

You can find epsom salt at any pharmacy store.

I also have some techM if you need some.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:17 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
you dont want to use epsom salt to raise your mg that high...

if you have a Ca reactor Zeo sell Mg that you can add to it to keep your levels stable

http://www.fragfarmer.com/ZeoMag-1kg-p-990.html

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 01/03/2008, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

i noticed some people usign it too... i don't know any opinions about it... may be someone can let us know what they think about that setup?

does anyone know how much it usually runs? like how much does it last? do you have to run almost low before you refill so you know the exact 15% amount to refill?
Old 01/03/2008, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Don't use all epson salt for that large of adjustment. Especially when dosing Kalk, the Mg gets depleted faster than CaRx or simple Two Part additives. For this reason especially don't just use Epson salt. Instead use the blend of Magflake & Epson salt to cut down on the residual sulfate levels from the epson salt.

I ordered High Purity Mg Chloride (Mag Flake) from Twopartsolution.com and purchased Epson Salt at Costco.

Here is Randy's DIY recipes and scroll down to Recipe #1 Part 3A. Don't use the 3B version.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#6

If you are uncomfortable about making the solution or can't find the magflake in a hurry, then Kent Tech M from Marine Depot would work. Get the Gallon, its like $19.00.

Use the chemistry calculator to determine quantities:
http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Inorder to increase Mg by 200 ppm in 175 g net you would need about 64oz of Kent Tech M or 96oz of Randy's part 3.

Never increase Mg by more than 100 ppm p/ day, in fact I would only do 50 ppm, so it would take 4 days.

I prefer to make my own because most commercially available solutions will contain ammonia or chlorine.

Last edited by reef_doug; 01/03/2008 at 01:22 PM.