Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Chloride

I am from Cornwall in the UK and over here we don't have dow flake and the wonderful things you use. But i have found a UK web company that can sell me just calcium chloride 2 to1 and magnesium chloride, magnesium sulphate and sodium bi-carbonate. But after taking to my local fish shop he reckons i will be in danger of chloride poisoning my corals. If there any chance of this happening. Will there be a build up of chloride in my tank if i were to take the road. Is it possible to chloride poison a tank mainly SPS
Old 01/06/2008, 12:04 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Kinda hard to get chloride poisoning in a reef tank or the ocean when the chloride level is ~ 19,000 ppm and the Red Sea 21,000 ppm . He is talking about fresh water tanks or maybe chlorine and not chloride.

As far as build up yes to a degree that is why one should do 35 % waters / month.

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

What are these web companies so we can look at them ?

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

If you got to www.lpchemicals.com and look under general chemicals they are on there. Is the chloride part in calcium chloride to help the calcium dissolve?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:09 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

I would use it it is some pretty pure stuff at 99. 5 %.

Is the chloride part in calcium chloride to help the calcium dissolve?

No, not really. It is more of that calcium chloride dissolves very, very easy and some other calcium salts like calcium, carbonate does not. We want the corals to have "free" calcium and this is what or how it happens if we threw some in water........

CaCl2 + water---> Ca + Cl + water

The calcium is" free" for the corals to use

Now, if we were going to use say calcium carbonate, CaCO3

CaCO3 + water---> CaCO3 + water

The calcium is not free but still tied up with the CO3, as it does not dissolve.

Calcium sulfate is another that dissolves easy and we use the two together.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for taking a look for me.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:32 PM
Reef Chemist

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as just calcium, aside from calcium metal that would catch fire if you added it to the tank.

All salts, like calcium ion, come with some counter ion , like chloride or sulfate. Chloride is to be preferred if you only have one.

So in general, calcium chloride is a very good choice, but a mixture of chloride and sulfate is even better (but not 2:1).

This article has more:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php