Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

green star polyp die off

My green star polyps have begun dying off. The only change I have notice lately is an outbreak of diatom algea. I have a 180 gal tank. Return pump is an Iwaki 100 MDRLT running through 2 1" sea swirls. Water parmameters are:
pH 8.2 - 8.3
salinity 1.024
calcium 420 ppm
alkilinity 11.2 dKH
nitrates 0
phosphatas 0
In general, my softies appear to be not doing as well. Zoos, sarcophytons, and button polyps are still opening, but not as they did. This has been going on for approx 5 months. SPS and LPS seem not be affected.This tank has been set up 5 years now. Lighting is 6 72" VHOs.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ralph
Old 07/09/2006, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

My first post after over a year. Thank you OH SO MUCH for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07/09/2006, 09:13 PM
AEFW Assasinator

What is your temp?

I have noticed that as water quality goes up, which SPS and LPS seem to like my sofies will not do as well.

Mind you that you are posting around dinner time and many people are still on vacation. I so happen to be waiting on my food on the grill ;-)
Old 07/09/2006, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

when was the last time you changed you vho bulbs?
it is recommended you change your bulbs every 6 months or so. maybe the light intensity is not there anymore. if i am wrong some one please correct me on this.
thanks.

always hunting for some nice frags.....pm me with what you got.
Old 07/09/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

wow, sarcasm runs deep, maybe i should sprinkle a little sarcasm in my reply..

include more paremeters....if you were THAT concerened, you would have tested for everything, i.e. ammonia, nitrites....

now, 5 MONTHS LATER, you decide to ask for help...and you get upset that we dont help after 1 day!!!! OMG!

have you changed water sources? do you use tap water? have you been consistant with your water changes... what are all your levels? give levels for every test kit you have..

how old are your bulbs? have you cleaned your pump lately?

what SPS and LPS are doing ok? different corals act differently in different enviroments....ive heard that flower pots and even xenia like a more lagoon type setting, i.e. not "perfect" water...

do you notice any growth on your corals that are not opening? are they spreading?

answer back....

j
Old 07/09/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

My temp runs 77 to 78. I have a pacific coast 1/2 horse chiller... I haven't changed my VHO bulbs for 12 months. Do you think that might be the problem???
Old 07/09/2006, 09:19 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

What is your ammonia and nitrite?

Any major changes to the system? Any fish, clams, or corals die?
Old 07/09/2006, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

my ammonia and nitrate both run zero. jcoopergd, I expected to be asked for more parameters. if i seem sarcastic, please accept my appologies. i was just dissapointed at my total lack of responses from my first post to reef central.
Old 07/09/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

jcoopergd, to be more specific, I user RO/Di water, My Di cartridge is 5 months old, and due to be changed on 8/6/06. I change 25 gallons every 2 weeks, religously. My bulbs are 12 months old. The only major change I am aware of, is severe pruning of my clove polyps.
Old 07/09/2006, 09:41 PM
AEFW Assasinator

The bulbs may be one cause. Chemical warfare by severe pruning the clove polyps may be another cause.

When I prune my anthelia while I do a water change the waste water turns tea-colored.
Old 07/09/2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply raddogz. My water change water is sort of tea colored... (brownish) I know I need to change my bubls, but economics at the present are somewhat dicey... Hope your food on the grill was scrumptious!!!
Old 07/09/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

star polyps close up from time to time. their pretty sensative to change
as long as the matt is still purple then they are not dead
mine closed up once for 2 weeks...if the mat is purple leave them be and im sure they will open again
Old 07/09/2006, 10:20 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Thanks, it was!

Keep up with the water changes until you can get the new bulbs (don't forget to re-acclimate your corals e.g. lower photo-period).
Old 07/09/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Thank you Raddogz. I did a water change today. I appreciate your input. Thank you also Beemo! The matt is still sort of purple. It's just strange, going from the green star polyps overrunning the tank, to their almost dying off... This is a fun hobby!!! Right???
Old 07/09/2006, 10:48 PM
Corgilover

My gsps have been dying off also. Water parameters have been fine and stable for the last 2 years. Not sure why.
Old 07/10/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Im still looking for a good way to get my green star polyps to die.....they;ve overrun the tank....and i cant just "peel" them off like people suggest..

yah, water changes, new bulbs....have you done a TDS reading on your RO/DI water?

j
Old 07/11/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

maybe you should feed them
Old 07/11/2006, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefpour
My Di cartridge is 5 months old, and due to be changed on 8/6/06.
Do you use a tds meter to test your water or are you just going by time if you are you might be wasting you money on resin or changing it too late and be using bad water
Old 07/11/2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

I have been changing my DI cartridges every six months. I am going to be using a TDS meter today. Hate to think I've been changing the resin cartridges too early (or too late!).

Thanks for the input javatech!
Old 07/11/2006, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I refill mine so it doe's not cost as much, have you looked in to refilling your own it's very easy if you have the reg 10"
Old 07/11/2006, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Just tested my TDS. It's 3 after the RO/DI unit. 228 before. So I think my waterchange water is ok. My make-up water is just regular tap water. I think I probably need to re-plumb that to feed off my RO/DI barrel.

Javatech, do you have a thread or web-page with instructions on recharging and re-filling DI resin cartridges? Mine are the standard 10". I have 2 old ones plus the one I am using now.

Thanks everyone for your inpu!
Old 07/11/2006, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I had some nice star polyps die off after I put a new mushroom in the tank. In this hobby you can only control a few things and mother nature is going to do the rest. I think there was some chemical warfare going on in my case. I also had another mushroom die off at the same time as my star polyps while the new mushroom grew and split.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 07/11/2006, 10:26 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Shrooms will definitely inhibit gsp growth and seemingly everything else around it.
Old 07/11/2006, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefpour
Javatech, do you have a thread or web-page with instructions on recharging and re-filling DI resin cartridges? Mine are the standard 10". I have 2 old ones plus the one I am using now.
Three is about the time i start to think about changing the di
It's really just a matter of unscrewing the bottom of the cartridge. Then you remove the foam rubber dump out the old resin and fill the cartridge with the new resin. Replace the foam cushion and screw the cap back into place. You want to fill the cartridge completely. you can refill yours for about $12 ea
this is were i get mine, good price on the other filters to

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/BAGDIRESIN