Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2007, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Bulkhead Leaking...

So, it figures that right after I completely set up my tank and stand, I decide to test the bulkheads to make sure they hold, and lo and behold, my 1.5inch Bulkhead leaks like a sieve.

Sad thing is, I really don't know what to do at this point. Its not going to be terribly hard to remove the entire bulkhead if I have to, just a PITA, but is there something I can do besides removing the bulkhead for another?

Is there something I'm missing here when it comes to bulkheads? You just hand tighten them until you can't turn anymore, correct? Any advice here would just help me out as you can tell I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks...
Old 05/11/2007, 10:03 PM
High Plains Drifter

It may be too tight. The rubber gasket may get pinched if it's too tight.

I had a similar issue about 6 months ago. But I'm using the cheapo bulkheads because thats all my tank will take.

What I had done, was put the rubber gasket on upside down. The lttle ridges/ribs on the gasket should be facing up, towards the BH. Mine were facing the tank, and it was causing a leak from every one of my BH's. I had to pull it all apart to flip the gaskets, and presto, no leaks.

You can also try to loosen it, the smear the gasket with silicone lube. It'll help form a better seal.

Jim
Old 05/11/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

The gasket MUST go on the flange side of the bulkhead. Hand tighten the nut and then use a suitable tool to give it another 1/2" turn.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

The silicone lube can also make thinks hard to deal with. It can cause the gasket to deform (squeeze out of place) when you tighten the nut.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Here's a dumb question... on which side of the bulkhead is the rubber seal? It should be in the tank, not on the external side of the bulkhead.

Are you sure it's the bulkhead that's leaking and not any plumbing/fittings attached to it? Have you hand-tightened and then turned it another 1/4 turn with a wrench? Was the seal in good condition when you installed it? Hole free of burrs?

Could be a bunch of things... Where exactly on the bulkhead do you see the leak appearing?
Old 05/11/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Here's a dumb question... on which side of the bulkhead is the rubber seal? It should be in the tank, not on the external side of the bulkhead.

Not entirely correct. The gasket MUST go on the flange side. The flange side can go inside or outside of the tank.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

I'm confused on what you mean here, what ridges? The ridges where the bottom screws on, or the ridges on the actual bottom part you screw on, or is it something else?

EDIT: What is the Flange? The flat side? To be honest, I just followed the way it was on my sump I received from the same guy.

Last edited by taketz; 05/11/2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:18 PM
High Plains Drifter

The bulheads that I use, came with rubber gaskets that have ridges on one side, and are flat on the other.

Your BH may not have the same gaskets as mine.

Bean, too much silicone grease is a nightmare, you're right. But I smear a "little bit" on all my BH gaskets and have found it to work well with no problems.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:20 PM
High Plains Drifter

The flange is the peice of the bulkhead that actually rests against the tank.

The gasket should go against the flange side, and not against the nut side.

Jim
Old 05/11/2007, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Ok then, I did it right. Whew!

I'm thinking I might not have had it tightened hard enough as I only tightened it by hand. You think that could be it? Would that half turn be enough to keep it from dripping.

Oh, and BTW...its dripping from the outside of the Bulkhead so I'm fairly certain its not the plumbing.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:34 PM
High Plains Drifter

just in case, heres a diagram

The BH should really be only a little tighter than hand tight. You definetly don't want it too tight.

Where exactly is the leak coming from?
Old 05/11/2007, 10:42 PM
www.kandnsales.net

put it on tight by hand and, unless your an ape, then tighten it 1/2 turn useing channel locks or similar. thats it.

in your position i would CAREFULLY tighten a little at a time upto 1/2 turn or until the leak stops then just a bit more. if that doesnt work start over. use caution you dont want to crack the glass.
Old 05/12/2007, 02:22 AM
Premium Member

I got it right JimDogg187, but the leak is coming from the outside of the Bulkhead, not from the plumbing or anything of the like. I will give it a good look over tomorrow morning and I'll make sure the gasket is centered on the flange.

If thats not it, I'll try tightening it. If that not it, then its time for lots of prayer.

Thanks for the help though guys...
Old 05/12/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

If it comes down to having to take it apart, check the bulkhead flange surface for any imperfections or extra plastic sticking up from casting. I've had a few with extra plastic along the casting seam lines.
Old 05/12/2007, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

Well, I really can't turn the nut anymore and its nearly impossible to get a tool in there so do you think it would be possible to maybe silicone all around the edge of the bulkhead? Would that only be a temporary solution?
Old 05/12/2007, 12:53 PM
High Plains Drifter

Silicone is only a temporary fix. You would just be stteing yourself for a fauilre (probably when you're not around to fix it )

I'm really not sure if I'm understanding this.

Is the BH so tight that you can no longer turn it? If so, it should nowhere near that tight. The tighter it gets, the more it will leak due to the gasket pinching.
Old 05/12/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the help guys, went and got another bulkhead, cleaned the area very well beforehand, and its working just fine so far

Thanks again!
Old 05/12/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Setting up a new tank or moveing an existing tank you can always count on a leaky bulkhead or fitting. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 05/13/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

I was going to suggest getting a new bulkhead, I have gotten ones from the LFS that were cracked. just a hairline crack but enough to let water through. You really have to look hard and close to see the cracks. Thats why cheap bulkheads are hit and miss IMO