Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

They look nice Brian. You have to QT them too? I thought only QT fish.
How long do you QT them for?
Old 06/08/2005, 02:00 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
They look nice Brian. You have to QT them too? I thought only QT fish.
How long do you QT them for?
I've been told by several experienced reefers here in Houston to QT corals as well because they often harbor pests on the rocks they are attached to. After seeing a number of tanks in Houston with red bug infestations, nudibranches and flatworms, all of my corals are going to go through quarantine and a lugols and flatworm dip.

I was going to quarantine these corals for about 3-4 weeks, but since TBS isn't going to deliver this week, I decided it would be better if they could get used to my tank first and then they go back to quarantine when I get the TBS(to avoid the cycle stress). So they were quarantined for only 7 days. The lugols and flatworm dip removed one unknown snail and a couple of bristleworms. I REALLY don't want flatworms in my main tank, so every coral going in is going to get dipped.

B.
Old 06/08/2005, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Oh, okay...so you keep them in your little QT tank? (do you have a little QT tank?)
So, if I get any, I should dip them, and then put them in my QT tank first? Does it matter that I don't have a ph in the QT?
Old 06/08/2005, 03:33 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Oh, okay...so you keep them in your little QT tank? (do you have a little QT tank?)
So, if I get any, I should dip them, and then put them in my QT tank first? Does it matter that I don't have a ph in the QT?
Pat,

Attached is a picture of my sump and QT area. Please forgive the mess, but you can see my sump on the left with skimmer and plumbing. On the right hand side is my QT tank (converted an old wet/dry filter). All I keep in it is a sponge filter that is attached via airline tubing to a Rena Air aquarium air pump.

I did have a heater in there, but it decided to stick in the ON position and my QT went up to 84 and it was still heating when it should have shutoff at 78. So I might replace the heater someday, but I keep the room temp at 77 and the QT stays there, so I'll probably just go without the heater.

Depending on the size of your QT, you may or may not need a PH, my QT is only about 7-8 gallons and the air sponge bubbles provide low flow, so I don't have a PH in mine.

My procedure is usually to drip acclimate them to the QT tank water(not actually putting them in the QT yet), then doing the RC zoa dip, then placing immediately in the QT, then 3-4 weeks later they get drip acclimated to the main tank. Ideally you should QT for 3-4 weeks in case there are any egg sacs for nudibranches or flatworms. I broke with procedure this time, but I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the arse!

Of course I'm an*l retentive about QT, because I didn't do it in Chicago and battled flatworms for months before I finally got rid of them. Of course QT won't work for all corals, such as hard to keep SPS and corals that require pristine water conditions or high flow. In that case I would just do the dip and hope for the best.

B.

EDIT: Opps! Forgot the pic:

B.
Old 06/08/2005, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

What kind of dip do you use Brian?
Old 06/08/2005, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

I'd use this dip found in the zoanthid forum.
Dip

I put a hermit in the new tank this morning, and it must like it....it didn't die.

I'm also seeing signs of sponge growing. It's plain sponge, and not colorful at all like the TBS colors.

Old 06/08/2005, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

The eggs I'm seeing look exactly like what Pat posted. I'm also seeing something else growing on the glass in clusters that I'll try to get a picture of. Like little 6-8 arm anemones.
Old 06/08/2005, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
The eggs I'm seeing look exactly like what Pat posted. I'm also seeing something else growing on the glass in clusters that I'll try to get a picture of. Like little 6-8 arm anemones.
Yes, please try and get a picture!! Sounds interesting!
Old 06/08/2005, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Pat, Did you change your avatar to tease some of us Poolless people in the northeast during our little heatwave?
Old 06/08/2005, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Pat, Did you change your avatar to tease some of us Poolless people in the northeast during our little heatwave?
There are some people here in the Northeast that also have chillers, even if they don't work....remember? It's the nature of the beast...we want what we don't have.
Old 06/08/2005, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

That chiller is no longer with us. After talking with the Tech at Aqua Logic, it had to be put to rest. The cost of repairing it would have been close to the cost of a new one. I'd had it for 10 years so I guess I should have expected as much. That and the fact that NO ONE around here even wanted to talk to me about fixing it.
Old 06/08/2005, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Truthfully, I changed it because I'm so happy we are finally getting some warm weather! One day last week it was only in the 50's here for daytime highs! I also don't know how far inland you are in CT, but we usually stay a lot cooler here on the Island than those inland....so this is a real treat for me. I love to be able to wear shorts and a T-Shirt and go outside without a jacket on.
I also have it a little worse, because I feel the cold terribly, and having the stroke, made it worse for me. It seems I'm always cold. It's been wonderful since Saturday!
Old 06/08/2005, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
That chiller is no longer with us. After talking with the Tech at Aqua Logic, it had to be put to rest. The cost of repairing it would have been close to the cost of a new one. I'd had it for 10 years so I guess I should have expected as much. That and the fact that NO ONE around here even wanted to talk to me about fixing it.
Sorry.
Hopefully you used it for 10 years and at least got your money's worth. Those things sure are expensive!
Old 06/08/2005, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Brian, I really like these...where did you get them from?
Old 06/08/2005, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Pat, what is "warm" to you guys up there in the NE? Just curious... Cold to us is 60
Old 06/08/2005, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquAsylum
Pat, what is "warm" to you guys up there in the NE? Just curious... Cold to us is 60
It was about 90-92 today.
Warm to me is mid 80's. Cold to me is anything below 65, unless it's humid.
I've been cold in the summer in the 70's after a front comes in with no humidity.
But you can't go by me since I'm such a cold turnip.
Old 06/08/2005, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

I'm around the Hartford area in CT and the lowest it's been since Saturday is about 88. Past 4 days it's been mid 90's. Today was 97.
Old 06/08/2005, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Wow...it was only in the high 50s-low 60s here today...I'm hoping it gets into the mid-70s this weekend.
Old 06/08/2005, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm around the Hartford area in CT and the lowest it's been since Saturday is about 88. Past 4 days it's been mid 90's. Today was 97.
The city and inland gets warmer than us 99% of the time. Probably around where Bob lives, was cooler than me (but still nice and warm) because he lives on the shore.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

It not the temp that gets me it the darn humidity. The last few days the humidity has been pretty high here.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Same here. Humidity is supposed to let up on Friday or Saturday. So maybe one or two more days of 90 + humid.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Kansas was 100 today... now T-storms and a tornado watch...
Old 06/09/2005, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquAsylum
What do you mean, 60???? At 70 I dig out my sweatshirts and jeans!! LOL

Sally
Old 06/09/2005, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

I saw that gorilla crab again last night. The one I pulled some of his legs off.
Old 06/09/2005, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Does anyone know how much water I'd have to change out to try and get the alk/calc parameters better?
Being the tank is cycled, I will finally do a water change. I just mixed up 15g (what my pail will hold) which I will do tonight or tomorrow. I'm just wondering if I should just continue to make water and do another change after that too.