Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I'll have to practice. It was the first time I tried it.
That's great they used your picture.
I think it would be greater if you sent me some of those zoos. You should share the wealth, ya know?
Old 06/08/2005, 09:27 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Thats a great compliment that they used it
Old 06/08/2005, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Great picture Landon! It's really exciting that they used it. I have to second Pat's share the wealth idea
Old 06/08/2005, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Great picture Landon! It's really exciting that they used it. I have to second Pat's share the wealth idea
He hasn't responded.....I don't think he liked the idea.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

im siting here trying to figure out how to use photoshop. i finally got a real program, and im not sure if i should have uninstalled the other one

i like the idea of sharing the weatlh. this is the colony i had all the frags coeected from... you guys remember the ones i was saying my pistol shrimp stole! now i have no wealth to share

oh and Danielle, im almost 100% positive you have an aeolid nudi. they are cnidarian feeders (per greenbean) which means they will eat corals. it is a good possibility that it was bothering your anemone.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
i like the idea of sharing the weatlh. now i have no wealth to share
Let's see a full tank shot again. I'm sure there's lots of other wealth you can share.
Old 06/08/2005, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

well, i feel like i owe you something for the mantis, so ill get you something together. ive been planning on sending you some shrooms, but was kind of waiting for your tank to cycle, instead of sending you something for Bob's tank. i guess the mantis came from Bob's rock though.

hmmm, to whom do i owe.......?
Old 06/08/2005, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

You really don't owe me a thing. You have helped me tremendously and always have to spell everything out for me just so I understand it.
Thank you.
Old 06/08/2005, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
oh and Danielle, im almost 100% positive you have an aeolid nudi. they are cnidarian feeders (per greenbean) which means they will eat corals. it is a good possibility that it was bothering your anemone.
I decided last night that it was bugging my anemone and so I took it out of the tank. It was kind of interesting as soon as I touched it all the cerata straightened and it looked like a pin cushion. The anemone doesn't look super happy yet but hopefully it will recover.

I saw my pistol again last night and got a couple pictures of just the claws. He's SO fast. It's the same as Pat's. I just can't believe how long he was in the tank before I finally saw him...very secretive.
Old 06/08/2005, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

wether you feel i owe you something or not, im going to send you something one of these days
Old 06/08/2005, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
I saw my pistol again last night and got a couple pictures of just the claws. He's SO fast. It's the same as Pat's. I just can't believe how long he was in the tank before I finally saw him...very secretive.
Did you get to see how big it was? The one I have is so much larger than the more than dozen other ones. Isn't it beautiful with the orange and blue?

Landon, we'll discuss it at a later time. I was really kind of busting them on you, and then hoping to see another picture.....since we love seeing pictures. My teasing and posts don't always come across the way I'm saying them in my head.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

While I was looking at the rock last night with the LOUSY red light I bought, I found another small pistol shrimp. Obviously couldn't tell the color under the red light but it's better then another Mantis! I'm alos seeing a lot of eggs on the glass. Looks like white strings with a little ball every couple of millimeters. Of course it's in the corner that's against the wall so it's difficult for me to take a picture of it. I swear I saw another picture in this thread of the same thing a while back though. Wonder what they can be?
Old 06/08/2005, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Well, I think the new tank is finally cycled! It took almost 2 weeks.
Zero ammonia & NitrItes... NitrAtes read 4 (almost undetectable).
The PO4 is .25. The alk and calc is messed up. Alk is off the chart and calc is only 230. Temp and pH are acceptable at 81 & 8.1.
So, just the alk & calc worry me at this point.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
While I was looking at the rock last night with the LOUSY red light I bought, I found another small pistol shrimp. Obviously couldn't tell the color under the red light but it's better then another Mantis! I'm alos seeing a lot of eggs on the glass. Looks like white strings with a little ball every couple of millimeters. Of course it's in the corner that's against the wall so it's difficult for me to take a picture of it. I swear I saw another picture in this thread of the same thing a while back though. Wonder what they can be?
I would guess snail eggs and you would probably have to go all the way back to the original thread to find those pics unless Pat finds them and reposts them.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Yes, they're snail eggs. Nothing to worry about.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Did you get to see how big it was? The one I have is so much larger than the more than dozen other ones. Isn't it beautiful with the orange and blue?
I didn't get to see the whole shrimp. But the claws were pretty big. Really pretty but so fast! At least now I know where he likes to hang out so hopefully I'll get a better look at him tonight. My husband thinks I'm a bit crazy waiting for hours for the shrimp to poke it's head out of a whole in the rock...
Old 06/08/2005, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Where did you guys get a red flashlight?
Old 06/08/2005, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Where did you guys get a red flashlight?
Wal-Mart.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Wal-Mart.
I'll have to go look. I hate going to Wal*Mart though.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Bob said it was in the sporting goods or camping area.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Bob said it was in the sporting goods or camping area.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 06/08/2005, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Landon, we'll discuss it at a later time. I was really kind of busting them on you, and then hoping to see another picture.....since we love seeing pictures. My teasing and posts don't always come across the way I'm saying them in my head.
i took all your post as goo hearted Pat. i never felt offended or pressured to send you something at all. i told you a year ago (almost it seems like forever ago) that i was going to send you some shrooms when your TBS tank was ready. i kind of held off because of you getting the new tank. now they have been traded or stolen! when i get a few more small frags im going to send them to you.

as for snail eggs i have a good shot of some cerith eggs in my tank.
Old 06/08/2005, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

What's all that green stuff? j/k!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, your snails make neat trails! They seem very organized!
I love when I can get good pictures like that.
Old 06/08/2005, 12:45 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

New hitchhikers

Hey all,

I was checking out the tank this morning and I found two new hitchhikers I THINK both of these are good, so I hope I'm right, nice to find good hitchhikers for a change:

My guess on the first one is a stomatella snail, a HUGE one at that

The second one, I'm at a loss. A snail of some kind and if you look closely you can see two eye stalks with defined eyes, but beyond that I don't know. He was in my sump in an area difficult to photograph, so that is the best shot. Any ideas anyone?

B.
Old 06/08/2005, 01:34 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pictures

Hey all,

Since we are talking about trying to take pictures, I thought I would show you my latest additions to the tank. After going through quarantine and a RC zoa dip, they were added to the tank last night. The zoas on the right are the new ones, I think they will be really pretty once they get over being grumpy from the dip:

Here are my colt and green kenya tree under actinic...I love how the kenya tree just POPS under the actinic

Here are my favorite zoas, this is probably the clearest picture I have gotten of them. I cleaned the glass this morning, inside and out, and then I used a tripod and I set the camera on 50 ISO, it seems a lot less grainy than other pictures recently. Still grainy, but a lot better.

B.