Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10/28/2007, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

TropTrea, and others....

Quick note on energy costs..Formula is Watts divided by 1000=KW
KW x your electric rate (typically around .15 per KW after you figure in all utility charges) now, multiply by the # of hours you operate the lights will give you per day cost. Times 31, per month cost, etc.

If I use the 11 cents you gave an example of. If you have 1 250W MH, with the ballast, you're looking at around 275-300W depending on ballast effeciancy. A 250 MH will cost around 3 cents per hour/ 30Cents per day (10hrs), $10per mo, $120per yr.

I have a 3' fixture. 500W MH plus 78watts of T5 Actinics. W/ballasts, we'd be around 650W. this would =$355/yr @ .15 per kw hr. Led would cost around $120/yr to run. I'd save $240 with out figuring savings from not needing as much cooling!!

Their wedsite says a 3' fixture would cost $1900. With just the savings in lighting electricity, I'd pay for the fixture in 8yrs.

If I change my MH's and T5's once a year, that costs around $250/yr. Add that into the equation of lamp savings and lighting only energy savings, I'd pay the fixture off in 4yrs ($240 energy/yr + $250 lamps/yr) Again, now you could figure out your energy savings on not using the chiller!

There! Being an electrical contractor, I get asked about energy savings all the time. I did this quick, but it should be accurate. Hope this helps! Tim

P.S. As you mentioned, I also do not know the cost or what's involved in replacement of the LED's in the future. I only know they rate this fixture at 50,000 hrs, which is 5.7yrs.

"Keep You Dreams Alive!"