Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2006, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

My new 400g.

84x35x30.

I've been maintaining and awesome 75g for about a year and a half. great things have come from it. My current set up.

75g drilled/overflow
triggersys sump with built in fuge 24w PC 24hours.
1262 Eheim return pump
ER ESV5 skimmer
4" aragonite with 220 lbs fiji and marshall
2x 250w DE Pheonix 14K on Icecaps for 7 hours, 2 x 100w atinic PC 12 hours.
Drip Kalk and add ESV B Ionic daily.
2x Tunze 6060 streams alternating via Blue Line Tsunami with Seio M620 as alternate 3rd pump.

Many many (about 60 different) SPS frags growing out, Some brains, Elegance (10 months now), Hammers, Frogspawns, Sun polyps. Many different Paly's and about 30 different colonies of Zoas. 4 different colors of toadstool. A giant magnificent anemone, 4 BTA's and a green carpet. 20 feather dusters. 6 big old cukes in different colors. 2 horseshoe crabs. 2 sand stars. 2 maroon clowns, a scooter blennie, algae blennie and a 4' banded snake eel.

I just got myself a 400g acrylic. It's gorgeous. I'm planning to take at least a year putting it all together before adding any water (must first move into a house with a foundation). I'm going to have a custom built sump/fuge in the area of 125G. I'm having difficulty making some decisions about equipment. First of all I'm not loaded, doing this off of a construction workers budget. I was lucky and smart enough once to put together a large enough order as to get myself a wholesale account at one of the largest suppliers in North America so that helps. Any ideas would be wonderful. Right now I'd like to set it up simple with an in sump skimmer, MH lights, fuge, 400lbs of rock, 3" sand bed, 6 stage RO/Di 75gpd with an added 75gpd membrane and Di so as to have about 150gpd output for water changes and an auto top off in the sump. A Kalk reactor would be nice to add with the make up water. Staying away from CA reactors until later. My goal is to try to save as much electricity as possible so as to be able to add it to my lighting needs.

Questions and areas for ideas.

Lighting. Right now I'm running 10wpg on the 75. This would be impossible on a 400g and on my budget. I've been told many things. 2x 400w would be excellent. I'm going ot shoot that down with the old 9" on center, 18" spacing, for MH's and I believe that rule. I've heard 3x 250w DE with Lumenarcs would be good, thinking about that. My goal is to only add SPS to the last 12" of the tank to help concentrate the lighting and to be able to reduce the amount needed. Maybe 4 250w DE? I can get a great deal on 250w SE retros but have been told I'd need a lot of them compared to Lumenarcs and DE bulbs. MH to provide growth. PC or VHO to provide looks.

Skimming. Love my Euroreef. Can't afford one for a 400g. I can afford an ASM G6 but have been told it might actually be to large. That I might want a G4 instead. Any thoughts? I also would prefer not to have a 4 foot tall skimmer next to my tank and would prefer a skimmer that would fit under the stand. I have about 28" to work with, maybe a little less. I've seen an antique ER that was 24" and rated for about 600g.

So keep in mind that I would like to be as energy efficient as possible. So no becketts with 400w pumps. How much lighting would you recommend?

Thanks. Mike.
Old 11/14/2006, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

You can get lumenarcs with SE bulbs as well.

Look at the new ATi Bubble Master 250 for a skimmer.
Old 11/14/2006, 12:08 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

caferacermike
[welcome]
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 11/14/2006, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisrush
You can get lumenarcs with SE bulbs as well.

If I can't afford the proper ER I'll bet you one Bubblemaster that I cannot afford $3,000 for a skimmer.

I'm looking to be practical here. I can buy a G6 for $500 delivered, that's why I'm thinking about that model.
Old 11/14/2006, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mike can't wait to see this tank up and running!
Old 11/15/2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Oh hey there. Seems all the maastards are here at RC. LOL.. Jose told me to visit here as there was some sort of ASM fan club. I'm buying his old tank, Z28pwr. I figured as long as I was looking to get some feedback about the skimmer might as well see what guys are using for lighting. Feel free to drop by whenever in ATX. All the SA guys drool over my 8" efflo as they all had a chance to get it but they all had excuses. It was 7" when I got it.
Old 11/15/2006, 12:21 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I run a ASM G4x on my current 120 display/240 g system. I don't think one would do it for you on a 400 with a 125 sump.

But for the $500 (maybe a little more) you would spend on the G6, you could look for two used G4's that might work better space wise and I am begining to be conviced that two skimmers are better than one. I back up my G4 with an ER ES 5-3. I originally started this during start up, but they both pull a ton of crap out of my tank, and while I am servicing one, the other is still working.

I have a monster dual beckett (MRC-4 and like you said, 335watts to run it!) siting in storage for my large tank ptoject, and I am thinking of getting another skimmer to back it up.

... just a thought
Old 11/15/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

I think that you misunderstood what I was saying. The bubble kings are $3k and made by Royal Exclusiv. Bubble Masters are around $700 and made by ATi.

BTW, I have a g4-x for my 120. Works well after some modifications.
Old 11/15/2006, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I think Chris was talking about this:

http://www.atiaquaristik.com/index.php?id=92,0,0,1,0,0

Reefgeek sells them. However, there might be a waiting list, they just came onto the US market. The 250 sells for approx. $700, not $3000.
Old 11/15/2006, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by masharp1126
I think Chris was talking about this:

http://www.atiaquaristik.com/index.php?id=92,0,0,1,0,0

Reefgeek sells them. However, there might be a waiting list, they just came onto the US market. The 250 sells for approx. $700, not $3000.

Looks like a Bubble King knock off. I wonder if anybody has tested them.

Mike, I checked the height and the G4X will not fit since it is 30" tall and even though the stand is 30" tall you have less space on the inside due to the wood and all that. The regular G4 would fit, but is not a big enough skimmer, unless you run two of them. That bubblemaster skimmer would fit, but I wonder how good it is?

Just get the G6 and run it outside, it will be fairly cheap and you know it can handle the load . I'm just going to go with the G5 since it should be enough for my system.
Old 11/15/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Ah that bubblemaster is such a good bubbleking clone I thought it was another name for them. My bad. I just got over that argument on another forum that when I asked for reasonable skimmers under $1,000 I got slammed with people saying buy the bubbleking.

Z28 I was begining to think about running the G6 external of the main display. But I'm also leaning towards getting 2 Euroreef RS180's or 250's instead.

But then again when you really think about it, I'd have a 4 foot tall skimmer. he he... I could show it off to everyone that comes by.
Old 11/15/2006, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

fyi, there is a huge bubblemaster thread here...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=945636
Old 11/16/2006, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

I don't think that you can run an ASM skimmer externally. At least that's what I was once told.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisrush
I don't think that you can run an ASM skimmer externally. At least that's what I was once told.
Correct, you would need a Skimmer "sump" tied to the main sump to run it.
Old 11/19/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

OK so I got an second job and also have been pulling mad OT at my main gig. So far I have worked almost 180 hours in 2 weeks. I still have plenty more OT to pick up. It looks like I can Xmas myself a nice skimmer. Please help me choose. I certainly was not expecting to pay this type of cash for my skimmer as I wanted to spend it on lighting but hey that's months away.

So

1 ASM G6

2 Euroreef RS20's

1 Euroreef RC500

1 Deltec 702

1 or 2 bubblemasters like in the previuos posts