Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Lots of people DIY top off float switches over here in the UK, popular commercial brands are the deltec and tunze - the tunze is held in high regard due to its optical sensors.

HTH
Old 06/06/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrianto29
The stand is actually strong enough to handle up to 1,000 Kg. It's use 8 X 12mm bolt for each stand. Screw to the concrete wall.

The Black Box is a chiller, the gauge is a gas pressure meter. It will tell for any freon gas leakage. So It will ensure that my chiller is working fine.

I love Tunze .....

Good to hear!
Old 06/06/2006, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Very NICE system! I can't wait to see this thing up and running.
Old 06/07/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joao Monteiro
Hi there Adrianto, Greetings from Portugal

Fabulous setup.
One issue for you to consider as regards the closed loop with the spray bar: from what I´ve seen in some friends´tanks, coraline tends to cover the drills of the bar as time goes by and it loses eficiency. Did you consider that ?
Thanks for your advise. Is there any alternative rather than spray bar ? I still can change the design if necessary.
Old 06/07/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wdt2000
Very nice, more pictures please. Do you plan on collecting your own coral and fish?
I actually have another 450 Gal LPS tank, so my plan is to move some of the LPS and fish from old tank to the new one.

For SPS, I'm going to purchase marine cultured from Bali.
Old 06/07/2006, 02:05 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
The stand is actually strong enough to handle up to 1,000 Kg. It's use 8 X 12mm bolt for each stand. Screw to the concrete wall.
I love Tunze .....
Arianto:

Great installation! a couple of things to note:

First. The aquarium content weight will be around 2,000 Kg plus the weight of the empty aquarium itself.

Second, I will suggest to move the Neptune controller to the other end closer to the chiller on the top left corner of the openning where the pumps and chiller are right under the front beam. The present location on the side of the sump seems to be too exposed to splashes when working in the sump or harvesting the algae from the refugium. You can make a support for it using acrylic or wood sqaures to hang it from the under top of the stand.

If your top off will be tied to your Kalk reactor I would recommend the use of a doser pump in combination with the float, this way the addition can be regulated to prevent drastic increase in PH.

Good Luck and Welcome to Reef Central.
Old 06/07/2006, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Second, I will suggest to move the Neptune controller to the other end closer to the chiller on the top left corner of the openning where the pumps and chiller are right under the front beam. The present location on the side of the sump seems to be too exposed to splashes when working in the sump or harvesting the algae from the refugium. You can make a support for it using acrylic or wood sqaures to hang it from the under top of the stand.

If your top off will be tied to your Kalk reactor I would recommend the use of a doser pump in combination with the float, this way the addition can be regulated to prevent drastic increase in PH.

Good Luck and Welcome to Reef Central. [/B]
Hi jdieck,

Thanks alot for your suggestion. I will move my neptune according to your input.

Yes, I already use float switch to controll the Kalkwasser dip.
And I also combine with timer, so the kalkwasser top-off will only done in the evening.

My cabinet stand is made 100% hardwood. It's quite strong since the structure is made from solid hardwood 8 cm x 12 cm.

Again thank you very much for your input. I really appreciated.
Old 06/07/2006, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silicone
Lots of people DIY top off float switches over here in the UK, popular commercial brands are the deltec and tunze - the tunze is held in high regard due to its optical sensors.

HTH
Hi Silicone,

I will consider to buy Tunze top-off system to replace aquamedic then. I love Tunze anyway ....

Thanks alot.
Old 06/07/2006, 04:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for your advise. Is there any alternative rather than spray bar ? I still can change the design if necessary.
"Open" pipes. I don´t know which ones are you using for the (3/4", 1"...), but you may consider a 4 way in each one of the exits.
Old 06/07/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

I just installed Durso Stand Pipe 2 inch in the Over flow box :

The other drain which is connected directly to Skimmer did not use Durso, but I use 1.5 inch strainer. The reason is to give more water pressure, so the skimmer water intake higher.
Old 06/07/2006, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
"Open" pipes. I don´t know which ones are you using for the (3/4", 1"...), but you may consider a 4 way in each one of the exits.
I use 1 inch as spray bar, it has total 50 holes with 6 mm diameter each. The pressure is quite high, I think coralline algae can not block it.

What do you think ? Should I change it or leave it with spray bar ?

Thanks alot
Old 06/07/2006, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

You can try... I can only tell you that I´ve seen 4mm holes being blocked.
Old 06/07/2006, 08:35 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

adriant - that black pvc or did you paint your durso??

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/07/2006, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Arianto,
Well thought out and executed system. You are on track to have a sensational system, avoiding so many of the pitfalls of systems that are rigged without much design or serious thought.

There was obviously a lot of planning and thought on your new setup and I am curious as to how and why you made the decisions you did. I am very interested in your motivation, influences and experience. Please share your history in marine husbandry and who or what influenced you the most in setting up this system. You mention having a 450 gallon LPS tank. Can you post photos of this tank and tell us more about it?

Regards & Good Luck!

Home of the BocaReef netcam. For live video of my reef, click on the little red house.
User Name - guestuser
Password - bocareef
Old 06/07/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rberrie
Arianto,
Well thought out and executed system. You are on track to have a sensational system, avoiding so many of the pitfalls of systems that are rigged without much design or serious thought.

There was obviously a lot of planning and thought on your new setup and I am curious as to how and why you made the decisions you did. I am very interested in your motivation, influences and experience. Please share your history in marine husbandry and who or what influenced you the most in setting up this system. You mention having a 450 gallon LPS tank. Can you post photos of this tank and tell us more about it?

Regards & Good Luck!
I'd been influenced alot by the book "Ultimate Marine Aquariums" Michael S. Paletta and also influenced by Reef Central - Tank of The Month.

By looking into the above book, I am really impressed by how nice had they set-up the tank. The plumbing is so good. The equipments are sophisticated. And all are a live .....

So I decided to make a new tank, little bit smaller but much more well planned.

I actually enjoy more in the planning and execution phase. It's really interesting.

Here are some pictures of my old tank, it's set up in year 2004.

Old 06/07/2006, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
adriant - that black pvc or did you paint your durso??

Lunchbucket
I paint it with special paint for model kit. It will stick very strong in the PVC.

My other hobby is Model Kit, so I like to paint some thing
Old 06/07/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
You can try... I can only tell you that I´ve seen 4mm holes being blocked.
Thanks a lot Monteiro, I will plan to modified it.
Appreciated if you can draw me the alternatives.
Old 06/07/2006, 02:37 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
I paint it with special paint for model kit. It will stick very strong in the PVC.

My other hobby is Model Kit, so I like to paint some thing
thanks for the reply. i thought it was painted but didn't know

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/07/2006, 05:30 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
I just installed Durso Stand Pipe 2 inch in the Over flow box :
The other drain which is connected directly to Skimmer did not use Durso, but I use 1.5 inch strainer. The reason is to give more water pressure, so the skimmer water intake higher.
Do you have means to control the flow to the skimmer? Say a gate valve?
If one drain has a Durso and the other one does not, the one without it may take all the flow with nothing left for the Durso so you may still have noise as air will be sucked in trough the one without unless you have means to restrict and/or manage the flow to the skimmer.
Under this scenarion you will adjust the flow to the skimmer to as much as it will take for stable foamming, all excess flow will be taken by the Durso.
Old 06/07/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Do you have means to control the flow to the skimmer? Say a gate valve?
If one drain has a Durso and the other one does not, the one without it may take all the flow with nothing left for the Durso so you may still have noise as air will be sucked in trough the one without unless you have means to restrict and/or manage the flow to the skimmer.
Under this scenarion you will adjust the flow to the skimmer to as much as it will take for stable foamming, all excess flow will be taken by the Durso.
Yeah, I have gate valve for the skimmer input.

I just fill in my tank with fresh water this morning and switch on all the system. Finally, It's working quite well ... as planned.
I'm quite satisfied, my hardworking rewarded well.

Thanks a lot for your advise.
Old 06/08/2006, 12:03 AM
Flea Slide

Old 06/08/2006, 11:11 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Oh my, that is fantastic! I love the cabinetry. Your entire setup is remarkably clean and streamlined.

I also think the Tunze top-off is the best. I have replaced mine with an Elos, but the Tunze Osmolator is one of the best pieces of equipment in the hobby!

I used to own that skimmer on a 340, its a real beast. There is an H&S forum here on RC with a few A300 owners that can help you for setup if you need.

I also own the Aquasunlight NG, however, mine came with 4xT5 lights standard, are you sure yours won't have 4? I replaced my ballasts from the NG unit and am driving it with an Icecap 660 (runs them at 85 watts each) and I have found its enough for my tank, which is also 32" wide.

I can't wait to follow your progress. I'm jealous, you can just head over to Bali yourself and pick out your own corals. ;-) I spent a couple months in Indo (Java/Bali/Lomboc/Sulawesi/Ambon) and the diving there is awesome!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/08/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Oh my, that is fantastic! I love the cabinetry. Your entire setup is remarkably clean and streamlined.

I also think the Tunze top-off is the best. I have replaced mine with an Elos, but the Tunze Osmolator is one of the best pieces of equipment in the hobby!

I used to own that skimmer on a 340, its a real beast. There is an H&S forum here on RC with a few A300 owners that can help you for setup if you need.

I also own the Aquasunlight NG, however, mine came with 4xT5 lights standard, are you sure yours won't have 4? I replaced my ballasts from the NG unit and am driving it with an Icecap 660 (runs them at 85 watts each) and I have found its enough for my tank, which is also 32" wide.

I can't wait to follow your progress. I'm jealous, you can just head over to Bali yourself and pick out your own corals. ;-) I spent a couple months in Indo (Java/Bali/Lomboc/Sulawesi/Ambon) and the diving there is awesome!
Hi Fliger,

Thank you for your comment.

My Aquasunligt only have 2XT5 54W, thats why I need to add DIY T5.

BTW, I like to dive too. next time when you visit Indonesia, let me know. So we can dive together in Bunaken (Sulawesi). That's one of the best dive site.

Adrianto
Old 06/10/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Amazing !

Regards
Old 06/12/2006, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

I just fill up the tank with live sand, live rock and natural sea water.

Water become crystal clear in 6 hours.

Skimmer working very nice ... I love H&S A300

The water parameter after 24 hours are :

pH : 8.0 - 8.1
Nitrate : 0
Nitrite : 0
ORP : 270 mV
Phosphate : 0
Alkalinity : 8.2 dKH
Calcium : 380 ppm
Magnesium : 1,300 ppm

My Korallin Calcium Reactor just start working, as well as all the other equipment. I will monitor close alkalinity / calcium level.

I will wait for about 2 weeks, before the first coral.
Soon I will update some pictures.

Adrianto