Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2006, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Looking good, thanks for the full tank shots (I love those).
Old 02/20/2006, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tony13
No I was asking enamdjd about AFY. Didn't mean to confuse everyone. I guess they're busy but I'm two months past the original due date, I'm wondering if this a "normal" thing for them.
Tony
AFY stated 8 to 10 weeks and it took 15 weeks. I personally visited the shop on a Saturday morning to give him the plywood template for my custom 2" 11ga steel stand and my OM 1" flexible nozzles for the overflow boxes. Being proactive is key with most of these aquarium trade people.

However, when unwrapping the cellophane from the tank, I did find multiple external circular buffing scratches on the lower 1/4 of the front panel and the middle of the sides of my custom acrylic 225g tank. Mr. John Stevenson, Jr. had promised to send an independent contractor to finish his unfinished work and still has not. This weekend we communicated via email and I reminded him that I have been patient and he has been paid in full for several months. Furthermore, I reminded him that despite my proclivity to give my business to a family owned business and our cordial interaction, I am an attorney and will proceed with legal action if he does not rectify this lack of performance. I hate this crap. People should just take pride in their work and respond promptly when they screw-up. Keeping clients in the dark will only create animosity and lack of trust. As a physician I have always kept my patients abreast of any unforseen detours in care. I do not wait for them to contact me. It is unprofessional and simply inconsiderate.

Anyway, my final personal judgement on AFY is still pending and I certainly hope for their sake and mine, they live up to the gentleman-like impression they have given when we have interacted in person.

Hence, fax them, email them, visit them. Simply document your attempts to communicate your concern with the other party of your contract in case things go awry.

Good luck.
Dr. A.
Old 02/20/2006, 04:28 PM
TRC Leader

Power compact bulbs are rather brittle, and cheaper bulbs (on clearance) tend to last 6 months at best. I would think these vendors would pack your stuff extra well since it has to travel to Japan.

Btw, aren't cameras cheaper where you are located? It seems like many are built in your part of the world.
Old 02/20/2006, 09:51 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Trouble is I can't understand how they work as my technical Japanese reading is pretty poor. So a camera in English is a must.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 02/20/2006, 10:48 PM
TRC Leader

Don't worry about that. We have plenty of people here that can help you figure out the camera once you have it. And some even know Japanese.
Old 02/20/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Maybe Amazon Japan has english versions, not sure can't read it myself.

http://www.amazon.co.jp
Old 02/25/2006, 11:15 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Guys, I'm at my wits end.

The drains are now hooked into the skimmer and I have minimal flow through the sump. 90% of the microbubbles in the sump are gone...

Yet I still have a cloud of microbubbles in the display. I turned off the CL through the bottom racks and it seemed to create even more bubbles. This is so disheartening.

Old 02/26/2006, 01:41 AM
TRC Leader

Perhaps this isn't sump related at all, and rather a tiny leak in your return line somewhere.

If you have anti siphon holes, are they fully submerged? If you have locline, is it fully submerged? All all connections that are out of the water glued or taped with teflon tape on threaded connections?
Old 02/26/2006, 06:35 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Yea, everything threaded was done up with tape. When I redid the skimmer plumbing I went over all the PVC joints with excessive glue due to make sure. The only thing left to do is redo all the taped connections I guess.

Another thought though. I turned off the ereturn pump today and the big Sequence that powers the racks CL for about 2 hours. The microbubbles didn't disperse at all. With no flow in the tank they were just suspended there and not moving at all. No it is possible the microbubbles just haven't worked out of the system yet?

Old 02/26/2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Are you sure they're microbubbles and not dust particles (ex. sand from rocks shedding)? Do you see them with both the halides and powercompacts?
Old 02/26/2006, 09:00 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Yea, microbubbles for sure. Can see them in the dark too.

Old 02/28/2006, 12:11 AM
TRC Leader

If you still saw microbubbles with the return pump off, then your problem maybe isolated to the closed loop system. Don't give up; we'll keep trying to help you figure out the solution.
Old 02/28/2006, 05:48 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Yea, but I turned the CL pump off and still had bubbles. I think I have such low flow in the tank at present that it's going to take time for the bubbles to disperse....

Old 02/28/2006, 09:13 AM
Memium Prember

Try this - dip out some of the bubbley (technical term) water into a clear drinking glass and watch it for a couple of minutes in bright light. The bubbles should migrate to the surface within a few minutes IMO. If not, you may have particulates rather than bubbles...
Old 02/28/2006, 09:53 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Okay, will try that tomorrow.....

Old 03/05/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Any luck on that experiment?
Old 03/05/2006, 11:27 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Yah, definitely microbubbles. And I can even see bubbles (large ones) coming out the returns so there's air in there.

Old 03/10/2006, 12:29 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Few updates. I got another box of rock and cured it for a while and I put it in the main tank today. So I'm going to finish the aquascaping tomorrow and put the sand in. I had the carpenters over the other day and they built a platform behind the tank so I can work in the back. It swings down out the way when not in use.

I received another freebie clam from the live rock guys so anyone want to venture an ID? It's kind of blue/green in colour:

I started to put sand in but just on the left as that section is pretty much finished. Didn't put the rest in yet as I don't want the rock making a mess when I aquascape tomorrow. What I did was put a length of 2" in the tank, cut off the bottom of a coke bottle to use as a funnel and then poured the sand in - worked like a charm, no sandstorm.

Old 03/10/2006, 12:32 PM
Fiddles With Reef

And for the heck of it, a few fishy shots.

I put 100 Astreas in the other day and they cleaned up the rock and the tank bottom nicely. Still battling microbubbles but haven't really attempted to find a solution.

More shots tomorrow I guess.

Last edited by NexDog; 03/10/2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03/10/2006, 12:37 PM
One Millionth Poster

Looks great, and its coming along real well!
Old 03/10/2006, 12:51 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks Kent. One more for the heck of it. This is the rest of the rock piled up on the right island ready for auascaping tomorrow. Really does put the 30" height into perspective.

Old 03/10/2006, 01:20 PM
TRC Leader

I don't see the microbubbles in your fishy shots. Didn't you say it was occuring when the closed loop was on and the main return was off?
Old 03/10/2006, 01:53 PM
Fiddles With Reef

I guess the problem isn't that bad to be able to be picked up on camera and they look worse under the halides (those were taken under PCs only). I turned the pump off and still had bubbles. I turned the CL off and I seemed to get even more bubbles. But I can see bubbles shooting out the right return pipe and the problem seems slightly worse on that side. I'm going to replumb the pump this weekend to see if that helps.

Old 03/10/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Hey NextDog,

That's a great idea for putting in the stand ...thanks for the tip, I'm definetily going to do that once my tank is up and running !

Old 03/10/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Hey NextDog,

Great idea for the sand integration. I'm going to do that when I put up my tank !

Thanks !