Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Gluing Frags.......ha ha ha ha

So someone at the Frag Swap finally showed me how to glue frags to a peice of LR. I went home, went glue nuts, and now I want to spend about $300 more on frags to "stick" in places . Okay so maybe not $300, but I am more then ready to go buy a ton more frags now.

I used to just jam the frags into a space and hope they stuck to the rock. That works for a while, until you run out of perfectly placed places to jam things. Even then you still have to inevitable falling Zoa frags that fall and fall and fall until they die (which is my own bad I know).

So ya, I'm very happy I learned how to glue frags, and think I may start taking stock in that glue stuff I bought, cause I'm going nuts with glue now
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 11/19/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

happy fragging
Old 11/19/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

What is the best way to glue? My frags stay on for a while and then float away to never be seen again?
Old 11/19/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Here's my question, how do you glue the frags to live rock when they are already on the frag plugs?
Old 11/19/2007, 04:21 PM
Productive Procrastinator

When the gel hits the water, it skins. You wanna break that skin so glue can get onto the LR and frag. Rotate it a little, back and forth like you're twisting one.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/19/2007, 04:22 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sh0tyme83
Here's my question, how do you glue the frags to live rock when they are already on the frag plugs?
Many will snap the bottom of the plug off. If encrusting is minimal, I've broken the plug off completely.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/19/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Many will snap the bottom of the plug off. If encrusting is minimal, I've broken the plug off completely.
That's exactly what I do. If it is well encrusted I will just break the bottom of the plug off, but if it is freshly attached I break the whole coral off and glue it to whatever I want.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sh0tyme83
so, I am no expert, having only a weekend's worth of experience, but I just glued the plug to the LR, and kinda found a spot on the LR where I could hide most of the plug from view.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp