Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2006, 12:24 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Geo or MRC

Which calcium reactor would you go with for a 215g SPS tank?

I need a Ca reactor soon and need to make a decision.

Thanks

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 04/14/2006, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

I have both a Geo and a MRC and prefer the Geo's materials and construction (although the MRC is older).

Paul
Old 04/14/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

id go with the GEO- have heard nothing but great things although i do not personally own one.

I do, however, own a MRC CR2 and my main problem with it is that it LEAKS!!! ive tried everything and still cant get a good seal on the chambers. Granted, the leaking stops after about a week when the saltcreep seals it in but you still have to put up with a week of placing towels under the reactor
Old 04/14/2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

I got a big run around from MRC when I went to order a skimmer direct from them. They claimed their machine went down but never called me to let me know, so after having to make a few phone calls and hearing it will be ready next week each time I finally cancelled my order. I ended up buying an H&S and am very happy with it.
Old 05/10/2006, 10:48 PM
Zooxanthallae Anonymous

GEOS leak like mad. I have both a Nielsen and a Ca Reactor and have had nothing but problem leaks. I think his quality control went WAY down after he stopped selling directly, and started using distributors instead to sell his wares. The O-Ring grooves are defective on both my units, and my friend's...there are deep router bit scars all over so there's not a nice uniform neat groove. George's solution: Just put some aquarium sealant in the groove then seat the o-ring... Just not acceptable to me. Wish I would have bought a LifeReef.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Old 05/11/2006, 06:54 AM
RC Mod

I would say that you are 1 in a 1000 that has a problem with a GEO product. Can you see the o-ring compress thru the clear lid? If you can't, then you should tighten down the nuts more until you see the o-ring compress. If that doesn't work then I'm sure he will replace the defective unit.
Old 05/11/2006, 11:48 AM
I have wet shirt sleeves

I have 3 Geo reactors and could not be more pleased. I wish all of the reef-related products I purchase were this high in quality.
Old 05/11/2006, 10:53 PM
Zooxanthallae Anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by cward
I would say that you are 1 in a 1000 that has a problem with a GEO product. Can you see the o-ring compress thru the clear lid? If you can't, then you should tighten down the nuts more until you see the o-ring compress. If that doesn't work then I'm sure he will replace the defective unit.
I'll bet though, that you bought yours when he only sold direct. The o-Ring virutally is SMASHED after tightening it...any more tightening and the nylon screws will undoubtedly break. As I stated in my post, he's not offered a replacement...just a lame, weak temporary fix for the problem (silicone doesn't bond acylic, so, every time you open the reactor, it's gotta be done again). He won't replace it himself now, I'll have to talk to the distributor and get a refund. He pretty much doesn't sell direct anymore... if you ask him to, he refuses, or, will only sell at a higher price than what he tells his distributors to sell at, so that he does not compete with them.

Old 05/11/2006, 11:31 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

I ended up ordering the Geo 618. As mentioned above, I've heard very few complaints about this reactor. 1 in a 1000 sounds about right to me.

It's being shipped on Monday so it hope it lives up to the hype.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 05/14/2006, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Try using loctites PST its a liquid pipe sealant with Teflon it comes in a tube a little bit bigger than a tube of super glue just lube up the the o ring with it .I have a older mrc reactor with the thinner flanges and could never get them sealed till i tried the loctite its been running leak free since
Old 05/14/2006, 11:01 AM
Zooxanthallae Anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by kellymm7149
Try using loctites PST its a liquid pipe sealant with Teflon it comes in a tube a little bit bigger than a tube of super glue just lube up the the o ring with it .I have a older mrc reactor with the thinner flanges and could never get them sealed till i tried the loctite its been running leak free since

I'll try it out. Can it be had at HD or Lowe's? In the meantime, I am going to see if I can have a full surface gasket made to fit it from a local gasket supplier.

Old 05/14/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

It should be at lowes or hd but I think I got mine from ace I also tried a full gasket made from rubber along with the o ring it slowed the leak down but did not stop it. also I forgot when i first hooked mine up I had the feed split off my main return line from my lil giant 4mdqx and that made it spew, I now feed mine with a maxijet 1200
Old 05/14/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Last edited by cweder; 05/14/2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05/16/2006, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

kirk did you ever get it sealed up ?
Old 05/16/2006, 06:49 PM
Zooxanthallae Anonymous

Kelly,

I hadn't had the chance to get out and do it yet...will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Kirk