Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2005, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Boyd Chemi Clean and protein skimmer

Boyd Chemi Clean and protein skimmer

Do I have to shut off protein skimmer while using this product. It just said to shut down UV on the package, nothing about skimmer.

Thanks
Old 12/21/2005, 09:10 PM
reef kid

my last name is boyd...irelivent but true
Old 12/22/2005, 07:58 PM
30 year and over club

You must turn off the skimmer or it will just keep overflowing.
paul
Old 12/23/2005, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Keep the skimmer off, add an airstone to the tank. The chemi clean will use up a lot of available O2 in the water. I left my skimmer off for 3 days.
Old 12/24/2005, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

i dont want to hijack your thread but i just used chemi clean two days ago after 24 hrs i did a 20 % water change and fired up my skimmer 48hrs after adding chemi clean and it is still going nuts. do i need to do more water changes or should i just wait another day or two to turn skimmer back on?
Old 12/24/2005, 03:47 PM
TRC Leader

I've used Chemi-Clean many times over the years.

Boyd Enterprises' ChemiClean - This product is designed to remove Cyano Bacteria. Cyano is often referred to as red algae, but since it is actually bacteria in nature, it has to be resolved a little differently. If you prefer to avoid using a product in your tank, increase the flow in the area where cyano grows, do water changes, skim well, and double check the age of your bulbs. Over a period of a few weeks, it will die off. Using a turkey baster, you can blow it off the rock and corals, and with flexible tubing it can be siphoned out of your tank. I have waited it out for weeks before, and it did go away.

I have used ChemiClean many times, and never lost any livestock at all. The product is great. Mix it well up in a cup of RO water, using the correct dosage for your tank, and pour it in an area of high flow. Turn off the protein skimmer for 48 hours. Within 24 hours, all cyano should be dead and gone. Its main ingredient is erythromycin (I think), and this kills off the bacteria as promised. It is recommended to change 20% of the water after the treatment has concluded. With the skimmer being off, it might be wise to hook up an airpump and put an airstone in the display area of the tank to maintain good oxygenation. Running carbon after treating would be wise.
Old 12/24/2005, 05:07 PM
30 year and over club

Meley, there is no erythromycin or any other antibiotic in Chemi Clean, there is though in "Red Slime Remover. I use Chemi Clean all the time just for the hell of it. I think it is great stuff.
It just oxidizes some organics like a lot of other additives do.
If you could use enough ozone you would get almost the same result.
Paul
Old 12/24/2005, 05:17 PM
TRC Leader

I don't know what is in it. Which is why I merely guessed at the ingredient. I can tell you as soon as I dose my tank, the ORP drops from 460 to 212, apparently plummeting the oxygen level in the tank robbing this bacteria of whatever it needs.
Old 12/24/2005, 05:28 PM
30 year and over club

Melev, I asked them and they won't tell me except that there are no antibiotics.
Paul
Old 12/24/2005, 05:50 PM
TRC Leader

I asked them as well. Of course, they might say it isn't a specific ingredient just to throw us off track.
Old 12/24/2005, 05:58 PM
30 year and over club

probably toxic waste
Old 12/26/2005, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm getting ready to treat w/ Chemi-Clean and was wondering if the aerator valve off a Maxi-Jet or 2 would be enough oxygenation or not? I can switch a pump and stone over, but the Maxi-jets would be easier. TIA.

If we keep drinking much longer, this drag race is going to become a slalom.
Old 12/26/2005, 05:41 PM
30 year and over club

You just need some circulation. You don't need airation.
I just put in Chemi Clean about an hour ago.
Paul
Old 12/26/2005, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, it said in the destructions that you need to support the O2, so I was just wondering. This stuff is amazing. About 3 hours in and I'm seeing spots lifting off the back of the tank. (Unless it's completely unrelated.) How long do you usually wait before returning the skimmer to duty? And do you just turn it back on and if it's acting crazy remove the collection cup or turn it back off? Thanks.

Old 12/26/2005, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I just finished using, i dosed then waited 48 hours and dosed again... tank looks great, no more slime algae, water is clear, did 20% water change and ran some carbon and turned skimmer back on.

i didnt run an airstone, just circulation
Old 12/26/2005, 11:45 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by god910
Thanks, it said in the destructions that you need to support the O2, so I was just wondering. This stuff is amazing. About 3 hours in and I'm seeing spots lifting off the back of the tank. (Unless it's completely unrelated.) How long do you usually wait before returning the skimmer to duty? And do you just turn it back on and if it's acting crazy remove the collection cup or turn it back off? Thanks.
Was that a freudian slip there? "Destructions"?

The instructions state to wait 48 hours before turning on the skimmer, and that is how long I wait.
Old 12/27/2005, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I always refer to them as destructions I noticed after the post that the outside of the package it doesn't even mention stopping the skimmer, but on the actual bottle it says to. So I answered my own question on that one.

Besides, Instructions are just another man's opinion of how something is supposed to go together.

(I wish I would have disgarded that pre-conceived notion when putting together my 3 year old's basketball goal. hahahaha)

BTW, this stuff is really kicking tail. I think one of my Mexican turbo's was trying to help it along by plugging up the overflow. But I heard it before anything bad happened. I really need to build a cover huh?

Old 12/27/2005, 02:43 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, you do. Try Gutter Guard or eggscrate, both available at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 12/27/2005, 05:16 AM
30 year and over club

You could turn the skimmer on as soon as it will work without overflowing, maybe three days.
Paul
Old 12/27/2005, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Hellfire, I've been in Lowe's about 6 times now walking around trying to figure out what to use and came out empty handed every time. I was going to make a 2"x2" cube out of some kind of material (we all know it's safer if they DO get on it if there's more surface area to disperse the suction) But never thought of guttergard. I guess I could modify eggcrate to work, by removing material from the bottom to channel the water from one "square" to the next. Last night I decided on that hook and Loop backing material. But looks like I've got a regular arsenal of ideas to go w/ thanks alot.

I think Nemo's gonna be peved, he likes riding down the "tunnel of fun"