Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2004, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Painting the back glass?

I got a new tank and I want to paint the back glass. Do I paint on the inside of the tank or on the outside? Also, what kind of paint should I use? Any specific recomendations?

Thanks!
Old 09/18/2004, 10:34 PM
I pretend to know stuff

The back. I used krydom black semigloss.

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 09/18/2004, 11:32 PM
"Lurker"

I also used Krylon, blue. Just remeber to apply several light coats to keep from getting runs. And definitely paint the outside. I would imagine that over time the paint could flake off or you could scrape it off when cleaning the inside glass.
Old 09/18/2004, 11:50 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Outside and use any paint, Just pick a color you like I used a blue/green and love it
Old 09/18/2004, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Paint the outside only. make sure the glass is really clean, no fingerprints. Mask and tape well. I use several coats of deep blue gloss Painters Touch by Rustoleum. After that dries good I put several coats of Rustoleum gloss black appliance epoxy, which is an ultra-hard enamel. This helps to eliminate scratching.

good luck
Spring
Old 09/19/2004, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

i used some sort of behr OUTDOOR latex paint. use the outdoor stuff because it will hold up better to the water/salt. it will take a few coats but dont be too worried about how it looks as youre painting it (drips, etc) as it will be on the back and no one will see it.
Old 09/19/2004, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

On my ten gallon tank, my girlfriend got a bunch of acrylic paints from rag shop and did something similar to sponge painting. I also have tanks with a blue or black background, but in my opinion the multi color one looks much better.

Then I just sprayed some clear coat on the back and that was that. I get a real nice color when the sunlight hits the back of the tank. And I HATED the idea when she brought it up... but i have grown to like it.
Old 09/19/2004, 10:25 AM
Noooo don't bite it

What I did was i took a piece of plexi glass that fit the back glass then spray painted the plexi glass blue and taped it to the back of the tank to fit. Works good for me, maybe thats an option for you.
Old 09/19/2004, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys that's good info! Now should I stick with a spray paint, or can I use a brush? Will painting with a brush leave brush marks?
Old 09/19/2004, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

You will only see brush marks if light at the back of the glass is stronger than light in front.
Old 09/19/2004, 05:29 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I painted my 55g back a bright blue, looks good.
My 125g is viewable on both long & 1 short end. The other short end I painted the same blue.
In my fish room I painted the wall the same bright blue behind my 75g fuge.
I've also seen someone paint the wall behind their tank too. That way you can still work on the tank from the back (and see)
Old 09/19/2004, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Obviosly tape off the sides and trim on top. Also, make sure you use a few coats and turn the lights on in the tank and look at it. Sometimes you can through parts when light is on it. I sprayed both my tanks with a blueish color, looks great and there isnt salt creep between the background and tank, no tape around the edges, etc. Eventually it'll all be covered in purple coraline though