Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

125g stocking help please

I am in the process of stocking my 125g tank and would like to make it mostly triggers. I have the tank very wide open since the rock work is designed as pillars. I have three pillars set up, one that almost reaches the top of the tank, and the other two almost make it 3/4 to the top. So with this wide open atmosphere what are my stocking options. The pillars do have some caves for hiding. I want the following fish in order of desire.

Niger Trigger
Volition Lion Fish
Hum Hum Trigger
Clown Trigger
Blue Lined Trigger
Yellow Tang
Naso Tang

Now I am assuming I cant keep all these fish, but I do want atleast one tang to help algae control. But after that how many more could I hold? thanks.

Red house= pictures
Old 12/15/2007, 02:24 PM
hobbyist

Go with the yellow tang. The naso would need a larger system. In terms of aggression both the clwon and blueline are notoriously nasty and you run the real risk of them killing anything else in the tank. The lion would work but keep in mind that triggers often find lion fish irresistable playthings and can nip/pick their fins causing stress or even death. The niger is one of the more peaceful triggers but it's still a trigger and as such unpredicatble as it matures. The humu stays smaller but is more of a threat than the niger. If you nix the lion and went with the niger and humu, it might be a workable arrangement. With only three fish it might get mundane after awhile though. It's not a huge tank so stock accordingly.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Jerry pretty much nailed it. I agree 100%