Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/20/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

30g. Florida/Sargassum Biotope

The plan of this tank will to somewhat represent a florida biotope, but will also inclue some things that arent native to florida. One of the main focal points of this tank will be the patch of floating sargassum weed, that will be representing the Sargasso Sea and will be displaying some of the following:
Sargassum Angler:

Sargassum Crabs:

Sargassum Shrimps:

Sargassum Nudibranch (this one is hard to see ) :

Misc. Sargassum Fish:

Sargassum Filefish:

The tank will also have misc. macro algeas such as:
  • Caulerpa Prolifera
  • Halmidea
  • Feather Caulerpa
  • Mermaid's Fan
  • Shaving Brush
  • Red Grape Cauerpa (Botryocladia) 2 variations
Also the tank will only have 2 Large chunks of LR, one on the left side and one on the right. One of them has a Large Gorgonian encrusted on it and a Feather Duster and the other has this really cool white sponge on it. Stocking really wont be much besides the sargassum animals. I am trying to decide weather or not to keep the seahorses or get rid of them. Vibrio (a disease common on seahorses) could be among the Sargassum which is one reason I would get rid of them. Besides that I would love to hear stocking suggestions if you have any, possibly a pair of Pearly Jawfish. I will probably add a few more gorgonians to the tank.

Here is my tank set-up:
- 30g. Oceanic Cube
- Custom Sump/Refugium & Stand
- Small Wet/Dry type filter to help produce nitrates for the algea
- Coralife Super Skimmer 65 (debating taking it off for the macro's sake)
- Coralife 1/10 HP Aquachill (it is broken, I need to get a new one)
- Mag 7 return (which has got really slow flow coming out. I need additional flow)
- 3" DSB
- 150w Titanium Heater
- 130w PC (6500k)
- 150w MH (10k)

I think the shine of the metal halide will look really cool shining through the sargassum... Just have to make sure the sargassum doesnt get cooked!
-10g. Reef
Old 01/20/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I think that is a really cool idea, but I do have one comment. Considering sargassum crabs, shrimp, etc are the natural prey of the frogfish, you're going to be experiencing losses there. Even if they are excellent at camouflaging amongst the sargassum, in a 30 gal tank the frogfish would find them eventually.
Old 01/20/2007, 07:32 PM
Sea cowgirl

That's what I was thinking - recreating this microenvironment is going to be a challenge because predator and prey are present. I think the filefish are even on the frog's menu, though they will eventually get fairly large.

I dont think I would keep the SH in the tank with Sargassum, but not for concerns about Vibrio. They are going to have very different flow rate preferences and I'm not sure that, in a thirty gallon, you can cater to both species needs.

Those miscellaneous sargassum fish may be pelagic juveniles that will grow up to something enormous. Ya never know.

Anywho, its a very interesting idea and one that wouldn't need too much tuning to produce. I dont see anything on the list that isnt native to Florida waters, so far. We just have a spread of microhabitats, as you know. Which, is perfectly fine in my book.

Be sure to post pics as you go along. We love tank threads.

>Sarah
Old 01/20/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

I am deffinatly aware of the predator/prey relationship going on here. I would keep extra shrimps/crabs in the refugium and if I wanted/needed too replace them. I dont know how well they reproduce and I dont think this has really been done before so It will be interesting and basically experimental. You think I should have high flow Samala? The filefish will get larger, and I am fine with that, I am planning on a smaller frogfish, not capable of feeding on th filefish (for now at least lol) this will be somewhat of an experiment
-10g. Reef
Old 01/20/2007, 08:12 PM
Sea cowgirl

IME pelagic species of Sargassum need to tumble or at least be exposed to a decent current to keep them happy and keep the edges of the fronds that poke out of the water from drying out and dying. Tumbling also prevents overheating.

>Sarah
Old 01/21/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.. I just wonder how much flow they really need... I dont want to blast all the fish/shrimp/crabs all over the tank.
-10g. Reef
Old 01/21/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

taging along
Old 01/21/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

I think this biotope (minus the Sargassum Angler)would be an awesome setup! I hear keeping temperature not over 74 degrees greatly reduces the chance of a Vibrio outbreak. This is also closer to temperatures in Florida waters. T5 lighting runs much cooler, especially will a fan in the canopy. It is also much more energy efficient. They just don't have the Glitter Lines of MH, though.
Here in a nice link showing a comparison of Halide vs. T5. http://www.specialty-lights.com/aqua...faq-intro.html
Old 01/21/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ClamIAm
I think that is a really cool idea, but I do have one comment. Considering sargassum crabs, shrimp, etc are the natural prey of the frogfish, you're going to be experiencing losses there. Even if they are excellent at camouflaging amongst the sargassum, in a 30 gal tank the frogfish would find them eventually.
I remember when I first got into the hobby, reading in the book "The Saltwater Aquarium In The Home" by Robert P.L. Straughan about 25 Sargassum Anglers that had been kept together to be shipped, ending up swallowing each other until only one large Angler remained a week later!
Old 01/21/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

WOAH!^ maybe the angler isnt such a good idea...
I know that T5's run cooler, but I already have the MH and I can afford a new chiller... plus the shimmer lines are really cool! lol
-10g. Reef
Old 01/21/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Insperation:
-10g. Reef
Old 01/21/2007, 04:34 PM
Sea cowgirl

Where is that photo from? A snorkeling trip?

>Sarah
Old 01/21/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

www.google.com lol

EDIT** specifically:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...859-1%26sa%3DX
-10g. Reef
Old 01/21/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

i love frog fish but maybe you should leave him out and try to mimic the above pic.

If you add a frog fish wont the other fish hide?

OT.can you get sargasm and sargasm file fish up north i the New york/new Jersey area?
Old 01/21/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

you mean does it occur there? im pretty sure it doesnt.
I doubt the fish would hide, but I think it probably will be a better decision to keep him out of the set-up. Maybe in his own, species specific tank, but not in this one. I will be attempting to mimic the above pic, but I will have to pick the smallest individuals I can find because of the size of this tank. Also I dont know if I should get a HUGE clump of sargassum that covers the whole tank, or just cover 3/4 of the tank or 1/2 of the tank.. input in that area?
-10g. Reef
Old 01/21/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I wanted to know if you canbuy it up north thats all.

i say huge clump.
Old 01/21/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

ohhh, i dont really know. I live in south florida and will be doing all my own collecting. I would ship you some but I wouldnt feel comftorable since I have never shipped anything in my life, let alone livestocl (im only 14) plus I doubt my parents would let me.
-10g. Reef
Old 01/23/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

http://billsreef.safeshopper.com/29/cat29.htm?274

He's somewhere on Long Island. Pretty sure Sargassum's a seasonal item he has from time to time. hth
Old 01/23/2007, 02:06 PM
Sea cowgirl

It follows the stream towards northern areas during warmer months typically.. but washes onshore in FL pretty consistently around July/August and Jan/Feb from what my notes say. At least, thats the routine I see from the last two years. I havent been keeping notes very long.

>Sarah
Old 01/23/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishfreak218
you mean does it occur there? im pretty sure it doesnt.
I doubt the fish would hide, but I think it probably will be a better decision to keep him out of the set-up. Maybe in his own, species specific tank, but not in this one. I will be attempting to mimic the above pic, but I will have to pick the smallest individuals I can find because of the size of this tank. Also I dont know if I should get a HUGE clump of sargassum that covers the whole tank, or just cover 3/4 of the tank or 1/2 of the tank.. input in that area?
In Summer months the Gulf Stream's warm waters bring juvenile tropical marine fish, and I'm sure Sargassum Weed, up to the northern Atlantic states of the US from the South. Although they will not survive the winter, they can be collected during the warm months.
Old 01/23/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmanrow
In Summer months the Gulf Stream's warm waters bring juvenile tropical marine fish, and I'm sure Sargassum Weed, up to the northern Atlantic states of the US from the South. Although they will not survive the winter, they can be collected during the warm months.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fishfreak218
[B]

Thats what i thought because i have seen alge that looks like his pics^^^^^^.Also i have seen what look like some kind of Damsel.

Ill try and collect some.

In fact i set up a 10gallon local jersey shore biotope every year for collecting and studying fish,crabs,snails,alge and micro fauna.
Old 01/24/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

hmm, never knew that... I stand corrected.. anyway do you guys this 2 Maxi Jet 900's on a wakemaker pointed at surface will be enough for the Sargassum?
-10g. Reef
Old 02/05/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered member

Since it's all based on the idea of a floating bed of Sargassum, I would ditch the substrate all together and stick to a BB setup, mimicking the open water with the attention on the actual Sargassum patch. Just let it go wild and wolly in there, allowing the IT to become the substrate (which is what happens in the wild).