Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

electrical shock please help

Having a problem, the other day when I touched the wire that was just above the water level on the maxijet I got an electrical shock. It's a medium intesity shock definately enough to move your hand away quickly. I did some testing to see. I am only receiving an electrical shock in one part of the wire when my hand is wet with salt water. Heres the problem though I think its coming from my tek 5 light as when the light is unplugged I do not receive a shock anymore from the wire of the maxijet. All plugs going into the wall go to gfi oultets.

Any suggestions?
Old 01/13/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

I am no expert at all... But do a search for grounding probes and Salt creep...Let us know how you make out and be careful.
Old 01/14/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

grounding probes definitely. also covers like plexi glass for the Tek Light, they can seat near the water surface without giving alot of heat, but you need splash guards to prevent extensive salt creep.

best of luck
Old 01/14/2007, 06:38 AM
RC Staff
American

A ground probe might remove the symptom, but the problem will still be there. That's not to say that a ground probe isn't a good idea, but you should still address the cause of the problem. My guess, from what you said, is that there is water bridging the gap between a hot point in your lights and your maxi jet wire. The first thing I would do is unplug, remove, and thoroughly dry your light fixture, in and out. See if that eliminates the problem. If the body (housing) of your fixture is metal, make sure you have a ground wire from the body of the lighting fixture to a suitable ground (screw that holds the face plate to an outlet is good).

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 01/15/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I let the fixture "dry" out but I guess it didnt need drying out as the problem is still there. The tek 5 does not have a ground wire from the bottom? How would i go about doing this.

Also I thought that if all the electronics go through gfi outlets it eliminates the need for a grounding probe on the tank. I'm not sure how the light is giving a charge to the wire on my maxi jet???