Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Opinions: PADI vs SSI Cert

I'm studying in Australia for my fall semester, and want to be certified before I go. There are two different shops in my town, one PADI 5 star, and one SSI.

From talking with the instructors / owners of the dive shops, I really like the SSI shop better, but it seems like I would rather have the PADI cert. Also, the SSI guy was more willing to be flexible with when the class was run and assured me he would get me certified before I go to Australia.

What do you all think?
Old 06/23/2006, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

It's more important to find a competent instructor who you feel comfortable with than to choose one agency or another. Both PADI and SSI are recognized around the world. So if you like the SSI shop better, go with them.

-Mark
Old 06/24/2006, 09:59 PM
Bristleworm Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by maractwin
It's more important to find a competent instructor who you feel comfortable with than to choose one agency or another. Both PADI and SSI are recognized around the world. So if you like the SSI shop better, go with them.

-Mark
I agree, go with the instructor you're most comfortable with, both agencys teach the same things.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251
Old 06/24/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Yeah its more about the instructor than the lable on the card.
Old 06/25/2006, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

I just finished SSI and all 4 instructors at my shop were awesom. Most shops in my area teach PADI and none were as nice.
Old 06/25/2006, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Both are week and don't really teach the use of dive tables just rely on dive computers. SSI has been more for fresh water. I'm certified with PADI and NAUI. I prefer NAUI and it is much more involved and safer class. After that PADI, SSI broke off from PADI and has suffered for the most part. SSI is not really that worldwide. NAUI is the worldwide leader. I have dove many times and many places worldwide. Some dive shop wouldn't even accept PADI but then again nor would they accept NAUI, hence why I got both. I have met many divers of all sorts and the most competent seem to be from the leader in diver saftey training NAUI and PADI. Good Luck and Happy Reefing.
Old 07/08/2006, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Why would a dive shop not accept PADI? And in your post, you say they didn't accept NAUI either? Who would they accept then?
Old 07/10/2006, 11:42 AM
Moved On

I took

I took the PADI open water, never finished got sick during class missed last two classes, so couldnt finish exam, luckily I had a store credit and can retake the course, hopefully two padi open water courses will be better then one...lol

David
Old 07/11/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered my member

Quote:
Originally posted by georgiaredhead2
Both are week and don't really teach the use of dive tables just rely on dive computers. SSI has been more for fresh water. I'm certified with PADI and NAUI. I prefer NAUI and it is much more involved and safer class. After that PADI, SSI broke off from PADI and has suffered for the most part. SSI is not really that worldwide. NAUI is the worldwide leader. I have dove many times and many places worldwide. Some dive shop wouldn't even accept PADI but then again nor would they accept NAUI, hence why I got both. I have met many divers of all sorts and the most competent seem to be from the leader in diver saftey training NAUI and PADI. Good Luck and Happy Reefing.
I think your comments are way offbase. I started as a student of SSI and completed the SSI written homework and test but then they hired another instructor who is PADI certified. I completed my confined and open water dives using PADI instruction. Both of them had dive tables and I learned both of them. I never used a computer on any of my dives. You learn the same information with both schools but overall I like PADI better as they have better training material and training tools for the instructors. They are a little more structured and by the book in my opinion, which is good.

Like the others said, I would base my training selection by the personality and knowledge of the trainer instead of what dive school they teach.

Chris
Old 07/11/2006, 11:38 AM
Moved On

I personaly don't like the PADI dive tables. I use the YMCA dive chart, but am getting my cert in PADI. All the techniques are teh same no matter where you go, but it is just how you learn them that is key.
Old 07/14/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered member

I agree with those who say it depends on the instructor.

Quote:
Both are weak and don't really teach the use of dive tables just rely on dive computers.

Hm. We HAD to use tables in my PADI open water class since it wasn't required or expected that anyone would have a computer. Even when I got my advanced cert. I used tables over a computer.
Old 07/22/2006, 08:50 AM
trying to raise cap clown

PADI all the way. Great instructors the price was cheap $140.00 and really nice training aids.
Old 07/24/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

SSI a freshwater cert???? That guy is clueless.
I am an SSI instructor. The SSI course is a little more thorough than PADI and requires 1 more cert dive, but what really matters is the instructor. Any instructor can teach the book, what you want is someone you like and will learn best from.
Both are recognized everywhere and if a diveshop doesn't recognize them, I wouldn't trust the diveshop with my life.
Old 08/05/2006, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Go with the instructor you feel the most comfortable with. No one certification program gets all the "best" instructors. Go with who you will trust. Go with who you believe does this because they love doing it. They will take the time to answer all the stupid questions that you will have. They will be the ones to encourage you to tell you to ask anything since there really aren't any stupid questions. I'm PADI and NAUI certified and have been diving since the mid '70's. ALL of my instructors were way beyond competent, (two were ex-navy SEALs).
Welcome to the sport! I'm miserably jealous about your trip down under. ENJOY!!!
Old 08/06/2006, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I have to agree with restark33. That is why I choose SSI certification. Good course and very good instruction but I did not like the instuctor. But in hind site I now would of gone with the PADI instructor who I was more comfortable with and was not such a $%^ head.

sl
Old 08/18/2006, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

I'm SSI certified and regularly dive out in the Gulf of Mexico. In fact we are going out to spearfish tomorrow. I'm also depositing approx. 200 lbs. of agrocrete at the base of an oilwell to see what'll grow on it.

My SSI instructor was very thorough and knowledgeable. He loves to dive and you can tell it.

My dive buddy is certified through PADI and SSI and is currently seeking his instructors certification through SSI. He is currently certified as a PADI instructor, but says he prefers the SSI instruction. He does say that he feels competent with both, however.

I fell like I'm knowledgeable and know what to expect because of the class and would recommend it to anyone. But, like it has already been stated, the instructor is the one whose gonna make or break the experience. It's no different from taking any other type of class. A good teacher makes all the difference.
Old 09/07/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

If you like the SSI instructor better I would go with that one. The only thing that I would suggest is that after you finish the class you purchase a different dive table. The NAUI and PADI tables are the most readily available, the only reason I suggest to get a different dive table is that the SSI dive tables don't offer much degree of difference in your surface intervals and shorten your repetitive dives by a long time. Good luck and keep safe.