Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/09/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Equipment Question

After being certified since '92, and I am finally going to go out and buying my own BC, regs, comp etc. Up to now i have allways rented when I on vacation to the Carribean. I have shopped at a few local stores which seem to be rather crazy overpriced compared to the online stores. I know almost all of the manufactures state that they won't honor repair waranties if you buy online-yet a few of the online vendors are listed on the manufacturer's dealers lists. I am not trying to be cheap, I just hate getting ripped-off. Any body out there buy online from one vendor over another and what do you do about waranties?
Thanks
Old 05/10/2006, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I buy my lifesaving equipment locally. It is too important to buy online. All the other things I get online, alot from leisure pro.
Old 05/10/2006, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

There are certain things I buy online and other I don't. I agree with you about being ripped off.

fit is going to be more important that getting a good deal. If you've tried on the BC and know the functions and the size is correct then get it where you can.

That being said don't be POed if the Local shop charges out the yang to service it.

I got a Zeagle Ranger from the local store. I haven't paid one penny for the annuals. And the relationship that is formed with them is important.

However I do buy no essential life support gear online and be damned on the warranty.

The price difference from online to the Local store was closet o 200 bucks but, it's paid for it self many times over. Even if I do something stupid Zeagle stands behind it.

SO... That being said. Talk to the Owner/Manager most of the time They will be willing to give you a deal. And even better they may know someone who is willing to sell thier gear at a steal and you still can get the warranties honored.

Do you like Jacket style BCs or Winged? How much diving will you do? Any Caving or Wrecking?

Enjoy the sport. Where else can you see what we've seen... Not ON this earth... Rather IN it.

Dive In

HTH
Old 05/14/2006, 07:22 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I also went with a local store. I basically went for the total package. Once I put a deposit down, they gave me gear to use until the gear I bought came in
Not something I will buy online
I bought dry socks ( for my Jetski) online, plus some 3mm gloves
Old 05/15/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Online Sales

The online store that has a dealer listing (ie. on Sherwoods website) is an authorized dealer and agrees to follow pricing policies. For example Sherwood’s as a minimum advertised price of 20% off retail. If a deal is selling it for a posted price of 25% off retail and Sherwood fines out that company would be dropped. Now, there are online retailers (i.e. Leisurepro) that are "grey market" they don't have to follow the same rule because they are purchasing the equipment for a third party NOT direct for the manufacture. They are not an authorized dealer. How does this affect the end user? On warranty issues and notices of recalled items! This may be vary important on life support equipment.

This is what I would recommend. Print the webpage with the price of the item you would like to purchase. Take it to your LDS and ask them to give you store credit for the price difference. They should do it! I would to keep a customer in my store. I know this doesn't save you the money up front but it does allow you to support the dive store you use and you are still getting the most bang for you buck!

Just my $.02

Joe
Old 05/23/2006, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

I have to agree with everyone else, I buy my stuff locally here in Dallas. Hoever there is a company CazyScuba.com that is a local Dallas dealer, they have both a shop and internet site, and I shop there often.

Many of the local dive shops often have good used equipment that people sell when they upgrade, and they will usually give you some sort of temp warranty, in addition they usually have several sidewalk sales each year. If serviced correctly there is nothing wrong with second hand equipment as long as it has been serviced properly.

IMHO, however, if you only buy one piece of new equipment, make it your regulator package, this is after all your life support.