Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2006, 10:16 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by John@JP
I have
1 Brownbanded Catshark
1 Snowflake Eel
1 Orbiculate Batfish
1 Royal Blue Tang
1 Maroon Clown
1 Passer Angelfish

And they all get along great.

I am planning on also adding one or more of the following
Volitan Lion
Fuzzy Lion
Porkfish
Golden Jack
Humu Trigger
Shy Hamlet
Blue Spot Stingray
Porcupine Puffer

I just have to talk my fiancee into letting me get a bigger tank
Are you referring to the ribbontail blue-spotted stingray or the normal one? Ribbontail is much less hardy.
Old 04/14/2006, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Voldemort
Are you referring to the ribbontail blue-spotted stingray or the normal one? Ribbontail is much less hardy.

Quote:
Anyway back to the point of the thread... I have had luck with all of the fish that I have mentioned that I have now or that I want all living together and in my opinion they all work out. You might have to watch a few or more of them (triggers, puffers and angels) but i have seen it done

And what we have here are two people with absolutely no clue what they are talking about . As you can see both seam to think they know what they are talking about . But one has never kept salt water fish at all let alone sharks . and his advice is based on other peoples posts and now he can also claim to have read a book . To bad experiance is some thing you gain from actually handeling fish . And well the other is just your average LFS employe who couldn't give good solid advice if he tried too , Anybody that has delt with triggers of any kind or pork fish knows that they are going to nip at slow moving bottom dwellers .This "experts " advice is to watch them . Any body with trigger experiance knows how fast they can move and they can snap and take out a sharks eye faster then you can even registar they are doing it . So Unless you want to spend your hard earned money to loose fish I would stay away from the advice of a 12 year old kid with no experince in SW and a lfs "expert " with a tank over stocked with just one of the five fish he claimes are happy and healthy

Last edited by mitzel; 04/14/2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04/14/2006, 12:34 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well there are two types of "blue spotted stingrays" Dasyatis Kuhlii and Taeniura lymma and are two different species but are sometimes referred to as the same thing.
Old 04/14/2006, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Well that is your advice and i appreciate it. And as far as the advice that i give at work, I am more of a do as i say dont do as i do type of guy. I done alot of things i would never tell a customer to try without taking a risk... Like my current tank. I have also done things like raise piranhas with south american cichlids and even bigger community type fish. I wouldnt reccomend this to a customer but if you ask my opinion I would say it could be done. And have you ever tried putting a small humu trigger or porcupine puffer with a decent sized catshark? I know of the potential risks I have 'delt' with these fish for many years.
Old 04/14/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

The Normal one. It will have to wait until I upgrade and It will have to wait untill I can get one it at work that does well
Old 04/14/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mitzel. These clowns are exactly why there shouldn't be a "shark info category" on this site. Time after time I see threads like this where the only thing that can come from them is the spreading of bad news.
One guy dreams up a whish list of sharks and dolphins and killer whales, and mythical mermaids that he can squeeze into his magical "150 gal rubbermaid stock tank or indoor pond (I can't believe people do that in their homes its soo cheeezzy) -basically what they think is their own personal 29 gal. home ocean" and then all the other experts chime in and by the end of it they are debating who's more rediculosly clueless. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE GOOD RELIABLE EXPERIENCE HANDLING THESE OR ANY ANIMALS DON"T POST BS INFO ON WHAT YOU LEARNED FROM THE FEW OTHER POSTS THAT YOU READ FROM THE OTHER CLUELESS PEOPLE ON THIS SITE.
I became a member of this site to learn from the experiences of other dedicated hobbyists , and i would like to keep it that way.
Thats just my humble thoughts.
Old 04/14/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Just doing my part to keep it real .
Old 04/14/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well that is your advice and i appreciate it. And as far as the advice that i give at work, I am more of a do as i say dont do as i do type of guy. I done alot of things i would never tell a customer to try without taking a risk... Like my current tank. I have also done things like raise piranhas with south american cichlids and even bigger community type fish. I wouldnt reccomend this to a customer but if you ask my opinion I would say it could be done. And have you ever tried putting a small humu trigger or porcupine puffer with a decent sized catshark? I know of the potential risks I have 'delt' with these fish for many years.
This is the most ignorant person I've ever seen posting about their fish. Can anyone guess why his fish are all babies? Hmmm, whatever could have happened to his tank before he started this nano shark tank? He claims to know the potential risks because he is so knowledgeable but ignores them. The above person clearly just has no regards for standards of care for any species and it's a shame he works at a lfs. This is the type of person that declares success when he keeps fish alive for a couple weeks or so. In short... he's either an idiot or simply buys anything on a whim and hopes it works out... and it won't.

I'm not writing this to debate with a moron... just wanted to give a few words of advice to anyone else who reads this.
Old 04/15/2006, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Actually my last tank was about 10 years ago. And i had all of the same fish in it. I took it down when I joined the military.