Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2004, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

What kind of salt do you recommend????

Im looking to mix my own salt water and was wondering what brand do most RC members use. I know theres instand ocean, Kent marine salt, Reef crystals, Oceanic etc...
Old 09/16/2004, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

I use Tropic Marin. I dunno if its neccesarrily the best, I just dont wanna deal with changing and since i order it directly through work the price isnt that bad.

The popular stuff seems to be IO right now (Instant Ocean) and Oceanic. I have used IO in the past and thought it was great but my dad actually switched to Tropic Marin cuz it dissolved faster.

I wouldnt use Reef Crystals, I've had alot of people come in and say they were dissatisfied.
Old 09/16/2004, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to use Oceanic. No real deciding factor on that other than the fact a store here has it for $39 a pail & some local club folks recommended it.

Everyone probably has their favorite, but I think it usually boils down to whatever works. I haven't heard of any salts out there causing tank crashes or anything.
Old 09/16/2004, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

In the first 3.5 years of my tank, I used Instant Ocean with no issues. I switched to Oceanic about 6 months ago and have seen no noticable difference (fingers crossed).

Oceanic is cheaper and seems to have higher Cal levels.
Old 09/16/2004, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanx for all the replies.
Old 09/16/2004, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

I use Instant Ocean. And I am very happy with it.

Stephen
Old 09/16/2004, 01:35 PM
Frugal Reefer

I use Instant Ocean. The only complaint is that it mixes kind of slow, but if you plan on letting your water sit overnight anyway I would recommend it.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 09/17/2004, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

Oceanic is what I use but I thought it disolves pretty quick.
Old 09/17/2004, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Of course it is the only type I have used so what can I compare it to?
Old 09/17/2004, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

I use Coralife salt, it works for me.
Old 09/17/2004, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

I.O. for all my life, if I did switch it would be Oceanic.
Old 09/17/2004, 07:41 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
I have used instant ocean. for about a year - I switched to Bio-Sea Marinemix. The difference is noticably better - so I am going to continue to use it. My corals consistently inflate about 10-20% more when they open up - I have also noticed a bit more polyp extension and slightly better color. My shrimp molt about twice as often. I know other people that have had similar results with it. Personally I think it is well worth the $3-4 dollars more I pay for it over IO - I figure artificial salt is one of the most important(and often neglected) parts of any reef.

But then again - I used instant ocean for about a year and all my corals looked decent - so it definitely works - I just like the Marinemix better. Hey find something that works, and stick with it
Old 09/17/2004, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

I am using Oceanic and agree with the opposition when they say that it has a low ALK. I am probably going to switch to IO unless it is considerably more expensive.
Old 09/17/2004, 08:07 AM
Professional Aquarist

Instant Ocean. I have tried others (Reef Crystals and Oceanic), but keep coming back to Instant Ocean.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 09/17/2004, 09:26 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Here read this link about 4 posts down in the thread(first link is bad, use second one) which ties to an article regarding traces/chemical makeup of various salts.

That'll make your head spin!!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=437613

On that note, I can't really recommend any, except one is off the hook with too much traces so maybe I'd recommend against that one to maybe not use it.

I've only used I/O my whole life with an occasional bucket of Kent or Omega seas (all prepared by Aq. Systems in Mentor OH) so I am not qualified to compare.
Old 09/17/2004, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

I use oceanic. It dissolves fast, and my params are pretty much right on except alk is a bit low, but it seems as if every salt mix needs some sort of adjustment or another.
Old 09/17/2004, 09:51 AM
Moved On

I've been using IO for the past 20 or so years, i changed from 'fathoms forty' and I've never had a single problem out of the IO. granted it might not mix with the highest Ca levels but fact stands it works and you can always use turbo Ca if needed.

IMO Oceanic hasn't been on the market long enough for anyone to say it's a better salt mix regardless of what the Ca comes in at. in 20 yrs if it's still a big talk, i may give it a try then.

kc
Old 09/17/2004, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Guess I'm the oddball. I've been using Red Sea. My LFS talked me in to switching from IO. I used the IO for years with no problems. I haven't noticed any difference now that I use Red Sea except the Red Sea has more of an ocean smell.
Old 09/17/2004, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

I have used Tropic marin and Reef Crystals...Both are fine salts, but IMO I have noticed better Coral growth, expansion, stability, coralline algae; just overall better results with Tropic Marin..

Give up the greed, you don't have to need me.
Old 09/17/2004, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davea
I use Red Sea...has more of an ocean smell.
I never cease to be amazed at some responses.

I heard that IO will introduce a "scratch and sniff" cover to compete with Red Sea.
Old 09/17/2004, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Hahaha.

Well, I know that Tropic Marin is comign out with a reef-tank salt. I forget exactly what the dude at MACNA said but i think it has lower alk levels so that calcium can be more easily added. Dont remember full details but you can probably look on their website.

Entropy: I agree with the slow dissolve, thats why my dad decided to switch to TM a few years ago. I cant say if it did a whole lote better because I also changed lights up to s 250w halide and 2 96w PCs (on a 34g can you say rampant growth?) So I had 2 variables there...