Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2004, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

help identifying something *pics*

Hi,

I have some kind of leather something but I don't know exactly what. Can someone please help me identify?

As well I'm not sure if I'm being delusional but it looks like some of the "spikes" have been coming off in the center section. Any clear what may be going wrong? Also if anybody can help tell me where such a leather can be placed more efficiently that would be great (closer to the MH, closer to the base of the sand...). I just sort of stuck it on top of a rock for now w/ the return pump pointing at it.

Old 09/11/2004, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

closer to your light it will gain color and will have room to grow
Old 09/11/2004, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

looks similar to a sinularia I have
Old 09/11/2004, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Is the return pointing RIGHT at it? If so, I'd probably move it so that its pointing more over it. I've noticed that seems to work better.
Old 09/11/2004, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

FWIW I have mine placed about the same level as yours is under 250 watt MH, also at one end of the tank. These are very "moody" and don't like change. I have yellow gobies that like to perch on it. The leather doesn't like the gobies perching on it though. Maintain your alk, ph, so that there aren't big fluctuatons to keep it happy. Even with all this, mine will shrink and slump over for days and come back fully extended again. Some days the little polyps look pink other days yellow. It must be normal because it has quadrupled in size in 6 months I've had it.
Old 09/12/2004, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Add lugols solution if you arent already. All softies and even SPS and LPS like it and it keeps them healthy. I've dosed it and used it in higher amounts to help cut down on the introduction of parasites and disease on corals when we get them in shipments and are adding a few dozen pieces and have higher risk.
Old 09/12/2004, 04:21 AM
Registered Member

thanks for everybody's input!

I will push the return pump higher over on top of it.

aquatect...never heard of lugols solution before. From what I've gathered from the forums...all the additives needed are Ca and Alk. Is loguls solution necessary?
Old 09/12/2004, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Lugol's Solution is pretty much concentrated iodine and iodide. I know Kent Marine has a product that comes in a small eye-drop bottle that I recomend, not sure what other products are out there but I've always been satisfied with the Kent Marine. I think the Kent product is rated at a doseage of 1 drop per 25g weekly to your sump so that it disperses. It's pretty strong so you dont want to target any corals or mix it outside of the tank with anything. Tech I is another option but I hae never used it, only Lugol's.

Some people think Lugol's is a very necessary additive if you have a decent amount of softies. It helps them develope more color and will help get those polyps out.

As far as other additives, there are lots of stuff that you can add besides Ca and Alk buffer. Stuff like Magnesium or Strontium for example. Although Ca and Alk buffer are the most common.

Hope that helps.
Old 09/12/2004, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

argh...my leather is dying. it's turning gray. Any suggestions on what needs to be done? What am i doing wrong to make it die?

As well my polyps buttons are somewhat shrinking and some are gone....that and my mushrooms look like they're sinking into the rock and disappearing. What am I fundamentally missing that's causing this?
Old 09/12/2004, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I'll give that logul's solution a shot. any particular place frequent to buy the stuff online?
Old 09/12/2004, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Kentmarine.com probably has it seeing as they make it

Its a common product so an LFS would more than likely carry it (assuming you have one near you).
Old 09/12/2004, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

eh....thought u might've had a place w/ a good deal