Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2005, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Re: dream on guys...

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnroll
Such sweet dreams.
Old 11/19/2005, 01:01 AM
Propping Monster

I know it's an LPS but i think more of the SPS guys are the ones buying Bali Aquacultured pieces so i thought i'd post here. I said high light because the guy i bought my frag from had it right under a 400W MH and his colony is about 6 or 7 inches grown from a small frag. i also disagree that the light colored piece is really stressed. that's just how they're coming in. that's why i started this thread to see how they colored in ppl's tanks. nice piece BTW reefnroll.
Old 11/19/2005, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Will the decadia be aggressive like some LPS, with long stinging tentacles? Thinking of placing them among my SPS and would not want them to go around hammering the SPS..

Thanks
Old 11/19/2005, 12:14 PM
on the goodfoot

Hey MarLooney, thanks.
Also... just because 'that's just how they're coming in' doesn't mean the Bali Cyphastreas aren't stressed. You asked about color... and I have been watching frags of this genus trickle in for a few years now... long before they began aquaculturing them out of Bali. That piece of scarab's looks like there is barely any flesh on the branches... similar to the way a piece of mine looked after severe stress and exposure. Maybe an optical illusion in the photo, but not healthy looking at all IMO. I'm basing my advice to scarab65 on what I've actually experienced myself, in my tank; from a 3/4" frag to a decent sized colony over the past few years with a few ups and downs along the way. Time will tell, which is why I asked scarab65 to post a photo over a months' time... maybe 2 months would be even better. The good news is that I have seen a couple of very stressed pieces come back strong (fully colored and 'fleshed') from looking just that way.

scarab65 - Cyphastrea is not at all aggressive, in my experience. The tentacles on my coral have been limited to what you see in the tight shot... extremely short and seemingly harmless. I'm much more concerned about other corals damaging the Cyphastrea than the other way around. I have mine mixed right in with the SPS, as it sounds like your considering... tucked beneath a few to keep it slightly protected from the hottest spots of the tank.

bec
Old 11/19/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnroll

scarab65 - Cyphastrea is not at all aggressive, in my experience. The tentacles on my coral have been limited to what you see in the tight shot... extremely short and seemingly harmless. I'm much more concerned about other corals damaging the Cyphastrea than the other way around. I have mine mixed right in with the SPS, as it sounds like your considering... tucked beneath a few to keep it slightly protected from the hottest spots of the tank.

bec [/B]
That is good new indeed. Will definitely want to mix it with my SPS. As of now it is still sitting on my sandbed. I can see a little colour returning to its branches.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 11/19/2005, 07:42 PM
Dracula

Quote:
Originally posted by MarLooney
I know it's an LPS but i think more of the SPS guys are the ones buying Bali Aquacultured pieces so i thought i'd post here. I said high light because the guy i bought my frag from had it right under a 400W MH and his colony is about 6 or 7 inches grown from a small frag. i also disagree that the light colored piece is really stressed. that's just how they're coming in. that's why i started this thread to see how they colored in ppl's tanks. nice piece BTW reefnroll.
They are looking like this because of how they are grown. They are fragged and left in a lagoon with high light & alot of current that acropora prefer. Most cyphastrea comes from 20+ feet down. Especially red/pink is a bit deeper.

In time they should get more flesh as bec described.

joe
Old 11/21/2005, 02:14 PM
Propping Monster

so the new aquacultured ones should eventually turn red/pink? i know there are other colors and i started this thread to find out if they were just light brown because that was their color of if they would eventually look as good as the Tyree LE.
Old 11/21/2005, 03:10 PM
Dracula

Based on the healthy ones i've seen come in, they were a shade of red/pink. Since they are in such small quantities, i would assume that all of these from the Java origin would be the same color.

joe
Old 11/22/2005, 04:26 AM
Propping Monster

cool stuff... good luck to the guys that got 'em. keep us posted. i'll keep my eyes out for one myself. anyone have any of another color? so far i've seen the pinks, grey, and green.