Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 07/22/2004, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Lookin good!
I can't wait for this to have water in it. Its gonna be a killer setup!
Old 07/22/2004, 10:27 AM
Moved On

CPVC as nvillacci is rated for hot water, I have plumbed all my rental properties, my fathers rental properties, and my personal house with it. The stuff is a joy to use, and I think looks better then copper =). Plus I dont have to worry about bums trying to rip it out for cash hehe.

Marc your fine, now sweat =).
Old 07/22/2004, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

gho,
#1 - Has already been covered.
#2 - Marc stated that he will be sheet-rocking that wall so I'd assume he is waiting for this to add supports for the lines. Good point though and I'd also add that insulating the pipes would be a good idea as well.
#3 - I believe the reason for elevating your water heater pertains to gas heaters only. This is done because if gasoline were spilled in your garage, the liquid and vapors remain low to the ground. Marc's heater is electric with no open flame.

maxxII,
Yes, I was joking and no offense was intended towards police officers. The gist of it was that they are no more qualified than I when it comes to giving advice towards construction and meeting building codes.

Joseph

Last edited by weatherson; 07/22/2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07/22/2004, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Joseph - Man your writing skills are as good as your DIY skills, well, maybe. Well said

Marc - Project is looking good, wish I were closer and I'd get you some Reef Bones by CaribSea cheap. Although that Hawaiian Dry-Base Rock looks very good in Joseph's system.

Donnie
Old 07/22/2004, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Marc congrats on the new tank. Judging by the quality of the sumps you made me this project should come off with out a hitch.

Alex
Old 07/22/2004, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Joseph what kind of work were you in?
Old 07/22/2004, 01:08 PM
TRC Leader

All of your comments are appreciated, and I can feel your excitement along with mine.

I will be strapping the plumbing in place, once the sheetrock is in. I'll insulate the pipe as well. It was insulated in the wall with a black foam tubing, and I'll just put on the same for the CPVC. Btw, I did talk with a plumber about using this for my water heater, and specifically discussed the hot, the cold, and the drain line. I was assured these will be fine. Hopefully they will be, because it'll be a real drag having to crawl under the tank one day, if necessary.

A funny moment with that policeman last night occured while we were talking about the possibility of a forced entry. He told me that up the street something had occured, and at first thought this call was about the same location. Then he asked me if there were any noise complaints. Perplexed, I told him I didn't have a problem with anyone and that they were all nice and quiet. He meant were my neighbors annoyed with my remodel!!!! I told him you can't make that much noise running wiring and gluing plumbing together. He smiled and told me when I turn on my circuit breaker again, then the fireworks will go off.

I used to be a trim carpenter for a couple of years, and I asked my friend to come over this Saturday to discuss the canopy and mantle ideas I have in mind. I'm hoping he'll give me some good feedback.
Old 07/22/2004, 01:14 PM
Works for corals

Marc can you give me your 29G sump dimension, I might be interested in purchasing it
Old 07/22/2004, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwilson37
SPC, if someone is out of wack by 3/4" on their stand when they build it, all I have to say is... Back to the drawing board.
I here ya, rj, but I would guess that some are even worse than this. Now if we can just answer the question of why Oceanic will void their warranty if foam and/or plywood is used on top of their stand, and why they don't use it to begin with.
Steve
Old 07/22/2004, 01:17 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Strandedthinker
Marc can you give me your 29G sump dimension, I might be interested in purchasing it
I'm not selling anything yet. But thanks for inquiring. You should be able to find dimensions to each sump on my site. The one under my 29g is the Model A.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Old 07/22/2004, 01:18 PM
Works for corals

Ok, but if you do

Last edited by Strandedthinker; 07/22/2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07/22/2004, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Btw, I did talk with a plumber about using this for my water heater, and specifically discussed the hot, the cold, and the drain line. I was assured these will be fine.

Many of the new houses in my area use CPVC to plumb the hot water heater, mark.

Looking good BTW!
Steve
Old 07/22/2004, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Marc - Not sure why this CPVC thing is such an issue, but being in General Construction, I can tell you CPVC has approved use for Residential Construction in the ICC or Internal Building Code in which most if not all states have went to. Each state does make ammendments for thier areas to cover weather related issues, ie, freezing temperatures. Although, be careful how much attention this draws, due to the new and strict Building Code Laws, I'd hate to see you be made to get a Building Permit. Hope this helps....Now hurry up and get some water in this thing!
Old 07/22/2004, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gho
#1 - I don't think PVC is recommended for hot water piping (see this link on how to install a hot water heater ) note where it says " Don't try to hook up a water heater with PVC, PE or ABS plastic piping, since these will not take hot water."
I know plumbing codes are different in all parts of the country, but there is not an inch of copper pipe in my house here in FL.
In fact I was pretty sure it's all PVC, but there may be some CPVC.
Old 07/22/2004, 02:18 PM
Moved On

looking good, keep the pics coming bro
Old 07/22/2004, 02:59 PM
The Impatient Reefer

is that a deep sand bed in your water tank ?

you lucky dog i wish i had an area to set up a tank like that

looking good can't wait to see this tank up and running
Old 07/22/2004, 03:02 PM
TRC Leader

I'm about to move my 55g forward about a foot, so I can cover it from any dust. Then I'll mark the opening, and cut it out. Now the work really begins!!!!
Old 07/22/2004, 03:07 PM
The Impatient Reefer

i think most people have heard bad things about cpvc due to that fact it doesnt hold up well in a mild freeze or high water pressure which copper would. but being in a warm climate freezing isn't an issue.
Old 07/22/2004, 03:38 PM
Reef Mania

SPC: I have not clue about that Oceanic tank and warranty stuff.

I am just here to see Marc's tank get setup.

I guess there is more to using the foam under the tank than meets the eye. This is probably a good time for all reading this thread to check there tank specs/warranty before using foam under it if they decide to use that route.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/22/2004, 04:00 PM
TRC Leader

If someone will please give me the number to InterAmerican, I'll call them to find out about using foam under the tank.

The 55g is moved out of the way.

First I removed the canopy and all the associated wiring, so that it wouldn't be top-heavy. Then I drained the sump of all the water I could, plus at least half the water from the display. This took about 5 minutes, using a pump.

Next, I had a helper put their foot againt the baseboard and pull on the stand near the base on one end. I stood in front of the tank, and lifted slightly at the cabinet opening on the same end. We worked it out about 10", then did the same at the opposite end. By my lifting a little bit, he was able to pull the stand and tank toward the living room without stressing the stand. It is now about 2' from the wall. This took about 5 minutes, btw.

Here's the back of the 55g. This should answer all those questions about plumbing finally.

The tank was refilled quickly, by pumping water into a cup so that the force would not displace the stand or distress the corals further.

Here it is with the canopy back on, and the lights plugged back in. One of the MH was still warming up, so it looks a bit yellow on the left.

And the wall is ready to mark and cut out now. Moving the tank took about 30 minutes, tops.

Old 07/22/2004, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

marc,
here is the number i have seen posted for IA 403-272-4960, I have also seen 403-272-2843 hope this helps

gm

sent you pm about tomorrow via dfwmas site.
Old 07/22/2004, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

I bought my 125 gal from InterAmerican (Expect Delays). It is in my wall as well. Here are a few pics.

Old 07/22/2004, 04:15 PM
TRC Leader

On the phone with them now...

WOW! I talked with Mitch at I.A. about this tank, and he tells me to use the pink foam sheet available at Home Depot. Plywood top, then foam. When I told him the tank has been directly on the steel frame since day one, he was shocked.

I sure hope this tank won't let me down, after being set up incorrectly for 8 months.
Old 07/22/2004, 04:16 PM
TRC Leader

Mike, this tank is .5 miles from my home, in another hobbyist's home. No delays.

Nice tank. Looks like you used a sheet of foam under your tank as well.
Old 07/22/2004, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I used 1/4" foam from home depot. A great leveling tool IMO.