Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/09/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the original poster.......they're junk.
Better soak them forever if you need to get into the impeller.
Unless of coarse you're coralline challenged.lol
Maxi-mods are much better.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 #3's for my main display and never had a problem. As with anything you will get defects. That does not make the product bad......
Old 01/09/2008, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

mine rattled as well at the beginning but it turned out to be the end piece that snaps on to give a more directed flow...it was just rattling so i tightened it...i highly recommend them to anyone...great piece of equipment for the price
Old 01/09/2008, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Ok i think the product is very good.. at least the powerhead doesn't have suctions cups. so you don't have to worry when it's going to pop off and do some damage. it's quiet and gives wide flow. i think think paying 30 bucks for that is very good..
Old 01/09/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Koralias dont suck, koralias blow, blow water that is, and as far as i know they work great and for the price thay cant be beat.

sana
Old 01/09/2008, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

I would also have to agree with the majority. I have a K1 on my 29BC and would definitely purchase again.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/09/2008, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

I purchased two to these and attached them to my wave maker. They are really loud when they turn on. I like them when they are on but attached to a wavemaker I think they suck. I switched to Tunze and am very happy.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

I agree with everyone else that for the money these are great pumps, especially for smaller tanks.

Jeremy you know they aren't supposed to be used on wavemakers right? At least not the on/off ones? I rarely unplug mine, but when I do, and then plug it back in, I hear nothing. I have to look to make sure it came back on...
Old 01/09/2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

yeah mine never made a sound when being turned of and on
Old 01/09/2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

yeah mine never made a sound when being turned off and on
Old 01/09/2008, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by an411
yeah mine never made a sound when being turned off and on
I agree we have our K2 on the timer with the lights so at lights out it slows the flow in the 31 so the fish don't get blasted around. When it comes back on at noon the next day you never hear a sound it just starts right up and runs whisper quiet.

Just remember one thing it was all started by a mouse

25 before 12 HABS over the Leafs every time...
Old 01/09/2008, 06:13 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
What are these deflectors everyone is talking about? I haven't heard or seen anything about them.
How much where they? Each+shipping?

I was thinking of getting two K3's for my 29g tank. Is that too much flow? Should I get the K2's instead?

i paid nothing for the deflectors. sent them an e-mail and they shipped them right out. didnt even charge for the shipping.

FMoore@hydor.com

------------------------------------------------
Old 01/09/2008, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
What are these deflectors everyone is talking about? I haven't heard or seen anything about them.
How much where they? Each+shipping?

I was thinking of getting two K3's for my 29g tank. Is that too much flow? Should I get the K2's instead?
i just got a pair of K3s for my 30g. i havent got to use them yet as im still putting my tank together. it should be a lot of flow in that tank though. 57x turnover just from the koralias alone. im almost wishing i wouldve went with two Tunze nanostream 6025s instead. but i think the wide flow will be ok. my 30g tank is 36" long, so i have some room to use the flow. in a 29g, i might look at a pair of K2s or maybe one K2 and one K3 if youre keeping SPS.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the pics and info mbbuna! So what the deflector does is basically direct the flow into a narrower stream right?

siwelk I think I'm still gonna go for the pair of K3's and if the flow is too strong I'll just replace one of them for a weaker model and put the other one in my 30g planted FW tank or use it as a salt mixer.

I don't know what type of corals I'm gonna keep yet. I haven't done too much reading on corals yet. Right now it's a FO tank. I'm getting some free LR tomorrow so I'll have a FOWLR in about a month after it's cured.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:59 PM
Team RC Member

the flow with out the deflectors comes out in two flat streams at about a 45 angle like this >0. for me i didnt like it because the flow was just pointing up and down and wasn't moving any water out front and across the tank. the deflectors dont restrict the flow they just make the water come out the front. its still a nice wide flow

Old 01/09/2008, 09:53 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by mbbuna
i paid nothing for the deflectors. sent them an e-mail and they shipped them right out. didnt even charge for the shipping.

FMoore@hydor.com

Thanks mbbuna, I just emailed about the deflectors, I'll let you guys know.

I love mine also, a year in service this month!!!!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/09/2008, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I broke 1 shaft trying to adjust the angle, emailed Hydor and the only questions they ask was where to send the 2 extra replacement shafts, FREE OF CHARGE!! Thats Customer Service.

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

I would try one (even though Iv'e never owned one) if I ever set up a small tank but after owning three Tunze 6100's with the multi controller it would be tuff to downgrade, these things are Sick. I know not everyone can afford $1,500 bucks on a tunze set up but if you were given one you would save up for more.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm in the middle of getting and upgrading equip for my tank. Going from maxi jets to koralia's. I cannot afford the tunze's, and this is actually the first time I've heard anything actually BAD about koralia.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Ive Seen them in Action and let me say these are the ONLY powerheads going in my 55g tank(Unless i win the lottery and can by vortec's lol) I love them!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 01/09/2008, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

I run of the 4s with 2 tunzes they work great for breaking up the pinpoint flow . Mine are covered in coralline & still going for 1 year havent even had to clean ever,great product , great price.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:40 PM
Team RC Member

for some reason i dont think the OP was expecting this reaction where did they go anyway? i wonder if there pump is still rattling?

Old 01/09/2008, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

All my koralia 3's are dead silent.
3x Koralia 3's
Litermeter3
Dual stage Ranco controller

Matt
Old 01/10/2008, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

So my experience: I have 2 #3s in my 75g. I love the flow. I have a maxi-jet 1200 modded and don't like it. It rattles a lot. The koralia is nice and quiet even those I do get the "clicking" noise when I first start it. But I don't really ever shut them off, so no big deal there. They put enough flow out that I have had to be careful how I point them or they move sand!

During my last cleaning regimen (run in a bucket of 1:10 vinegar/ro water solution for 1 hour), I broke the ceramic shaft on one of them. I emailed Frank (see above post for contact info) and explained my situation. He is sending me 2 steel shafts and 2 flow deflectors, no questions asked.

This is a great value for the price and performance of this powerhead. It is no Tunze, but you aren't paying for that either. I am upgrading my tank and will be buying another Koralia for that tank as well.

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 01/10/2008, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

What would the experienced Koralia users recommend I get for a 46g bow expecting some SPS? Two #3's?