Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 01/04/2008, 01:03 PM
Team RC Member

AGA RR 210 - dumb set-up question, please help!

I got my mom's AGA RR 210 a few years back. It's been empty at my house. I now have the plumbing redone, floor joists reinforced, all equipment on hand, ready to go. The tank is sitting on the (stock) black painted wood AGA stand.

Before I fill it with water, I have a really dumb question. My mom had the tank set up, sitting right on the wood stand (it sits on the edge, not inside a lip, like some other stands). Is it okay for me to set the tank up this way, or should I have it on a sheet of foam or something else between the tank bottom and the stand? The stand appears level, and it was set up on the bare wood for over a year with no problem.

Please advise, I have the sand, rock, salt (and fish in a 120 waiting for a bigger home!) I prefer not to move it, to put anything underneath, but will do so if it is advisable. What do you All Glass owners using their stock stand do?

TIA,
Lisa
Old 01/04/2008, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

If AGA made it then they will warranty it. I have seen those stand before and I know exactly what you are talking about. By looking at them, I would never set a tank on them, BUT I know many customers that use them for years with no problems, with that being said, I trust AGA stands. AGA wouldn't make something that wasn't safe, bc if they did, they would have to fix their own mistake when it comes warranty time. Just my 2 cents
Old 01/04/2008, 01:16 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks, Brandan. I thought about using a different stand, but in a previous (long time ago) post, most people said they thought the stand would be okay.

I'm not so much worried that the stand won't support the tank. But I don't know if AG or AG owners would suggest putting a foam board or plywood between the tank and stand. I really don't want to do this, cuz I don't want to have to move that tank again.

Since I got the tank used, I didn't know how AG instructs people to put the tank on the stand.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

AGA says nothing goes between the tank and their stand. For the most part any tank with a trim on the bottom is to go right on the stand. A flat bottom glass or acrylic tank wants foam under it. You have trim and if you feel under the bottom it is raised depending on the trim to support it.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:24 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks, that was what I thought and hoped, just wanted to check. This tank is going in a room with a nice wood floor.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

What they all said
Old 01/04/2008, 02:28 PM
Team RC Member

thanks guys!