Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

300 Stocking

I have a 300 gallon (72 long, 36 high , and 24 deep) with 450 pounds of liverock and coral (Sps, LPS) that is ready for fish. Will the list below be alright has far as reef safe. Any expirences with the clown tang. I know their mean sob's, but i think the size of the tank might calm him down. I plan on adding the tangs last. Any see any potential problems? Thanks

1. Yellow Tang
2. Flame Hawkfish
3. 2 Percula
4. 6-line wrasse
5. Watchman goby
6. Hippo Tang
7. Clown Tang
8. Purple tang
9. Copper-Banded
10. Green Mandarin
11. Leopard Wrasse
12. Longnose hawkfish
13. Bicolor blenny-
14. Royal gramma (Pair)
15. Firefish goby (Pair)
Old 01/08/2005, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

I think is not a good ideia add mandarim and Copperband together, because they eat the same food like little worms and micro life....

I had they together and I notice that my mandarim was getting slim.

The same to mandarim and six line...they eat the same food

The others fishes you can add, no problem

regards

Roberto
Old 01/08/2005, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Denadai
Hi,

The same to mandarim and six line...they eat the same food

Roberto
I agree. The six line could kill the mandarin. I am not a fan of clown tangs, but if you really want one, I would do it as the only tang. Clown tangs need a lot of space.

i don't know much about the leopard wrasse. Do they have a similar diet to the mandarin? If so, you may want a refugium.

Flame hawks are great. The only problem is shrimp may hide a lot if you have shrimp and a FH.

Otherwise, looks very good. That must be a beautiful tank!! I have a 240 that is similar but only 30 inches tall.
Old 01/08/2005, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

If you check out my thread i mentioned the problem i had with a Royal Gramma and a 6-line wrasse. From my experience 6-line wrasses are very aggressive. Mine killed my Royal Gramma, and he may also harass your Mandrin. So add him with caution!
Old 01/08/2005, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I have the same basic set-up that you have and some of the fish that you want. The Copper Banded will eat feather dusters and Xmas tree worms, other than that they appear to be reef safe.
The six line will pick out a new fish that has been added and drive him crazy. My six line would never let my long nose hawk eat and thus he died. The six line is quite fat, but he doesn't bother any other species in the tank, including shrimp. Then there is the Tang question? All reefers love Tangs and I am no exception. I have 3 Lg fat regals, 1 Xl fat PBT and 1 fat YT. Tang's are great but there is definitely and art and a science for keeping them happy and alive (I have my own system for Tang's). The rest of the inhabitants are as follows, 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Diamond Goby, 3 Scissor Tails, 2 Anthias, 4 Firefish, 1 LeBoutty Wrasse(Rare Fish) 5 Blue Chromis, 2 Coral Banded shrimp, 6 Cleaner shrimp and 5 Clams in varying sizes. Of course I have made no mention of the corals, of which there are many. Now the sad part. YOU WILL LOSE FISH...especially Tang’s, so be ready, it hurts. I have lost my share of Tang's including a Clown, 2 Shoal’s, 2 PBT’s and a very lg Achilles. Because of the losses I have developed my own process for adding fish to my tank, especially Tang's. I am more than happy to share my trials, tribulations and my joy's of this hobby. Should you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. Lastly, get your wife involved with the tank and enjoy it while drinking Martinis!
Old 01/08/2005, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Hey, thanks seeker for the advice. Before the loss of the clown tang how was your experience with him. Did he show any agression towards other fish. Also does anyone else think that there are too many fish that eat micro life( wrasses, madarin, etc). Also in what sequence would you had the six-line, gramma, firefish, and hawks. Thanks alot
Old 01/09/2005, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

with 450 ilbs of lr that is alot of lr so like i dont6 know. you j might hav enough not sure i fyou absloutly have to go with that add those fish towards the end. so your pods havet im to reproduce. have you lokkked ath the fairy wrases yet there pretty cool nicer and less agresive.
Old 01/09/2005, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

I agree the butterfly, wrasses, gobys, and blenny create a lot of competition for food, and I think the sixline would win. In my experience sixline can be a bit territorial, though he only chases my flasher wrasse, he doesnt do any real damage. I think this might be avoided by adding the sixline last, or at least last of the smaller fishes. I like the pairs of gammas and firefish. Good luck on your stocking, and enjoy the process. Cant wait to see final product!
Stephanie
Old 01/09/2005, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

thanks, anyone out there ever have a clown tang with some of my other tangs.
Old 01/09/2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Not sure about the clown tang but I haver had experience with others. The blue left the purple and yellow tnag alone. You may have agression problem with the purple and yellow tang. You will probable want to add them at the same time or make sure the one you add later is larger than the current one you have the tank. All the tang I have had were hardy and ate well. The only thing I noticed was the blue tang was by far the skittish fish in the tank.

Good luck I think the list pretty good. I would also suggest watching out for the sixline.
Old 01/09/2005, 04:00 PM
Moved On

I had a Clown Tang along with a Powder Blue, Blue Hippo, Yellow, Naso, and Unicorn. When I purchased him, I made sure he was the smallest of the bunch. He was well mannered while I had him, beautiful fish with tons of personality and energy!

I kept the Tangs fat with Nori and that really seemed to keep them happy!!!!

My tank is a 300 gallon 96x24x30, so I think your Tangs will be fine.

Lost him when my 300 gallon stock tank cracked!
Old 01/09/2005, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

The Mandarin, Leopard Wrasse, Sixline Wrasse, and Copperband will all compete for food. The Mandarin will be the first to go because they are sooooo slow. Steph1643 is right, the Sixline would win.

On top of that, not only may the Tangs fight, the Purple will almost for sure give the Copperband a beating. I don't know how the Hawkfish will do together, but count out possibilities of any shrimp. The Grammas might not pair up and fight, or they might show aggression towards the similar shaped Firefish. And, the Blenny and Grammas might fight also.

You've got a ton of rethinking to do.
Old 01/10/2005, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

anyone else have a clown tang?
Old 01/10/2005, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

That stocking list looks pretty good to me. of the tangs, hippo first, clown last. Clown or regal tangs aren't that bad, at least not ime with the one I kept. Clown or Regal tangs are definately not for beginners however, and a distressed tang ccould catch ich and wipe out a population of your fishes (or anyone's) by hosting the parasite.

The percula clownfish should probably go in first. I think a lot of clownfish have problems adjusting to a "big" tank (especially, maybe tank raised clownfish).

The hawks might fight. If you have a good lfs, you might be able to get a pair of flames or a pair of checkerboard, ie. longnose hawkfish. Either way if you add them at the same time, they'll probably get along.

Gobies are jumpers, so are wrasses so expect and prepare for that or you'll lose some nice fish.

Don't know what inverts you are going to keep, but, no fish is bulletproof as far as behaviour.

Good luck!

Oh the grammas, I think, but don't know they like multiple females.

AND Most blennies aren't reefsafe. Bicolor is definately a questionable blenny. Copperband reefsafe? Maybe, maybe not, and the leopard wrasses need sand I've heard (no experience). Sure I've missed a few important things.
Old 01/11/2005, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baseballpro1919
anyone else have a clown tang?
My roomate used to have a clown tang in his tank but it died out of nowhere. It did fine for a few weeks and then just died. I think they need a lot of room to swim and very good water quality. My local zoo has probably a 15,000-20,000 gallon tank with nothing but tangs, angels, etc. There is one particular clown tang that just swims in a circle all day, even with that much room. They are just odd fish. What about a sohal tang? I like them better than clown tangs and they are defintiely tougher when it comes to water quality, diesease, etc. They can be very aggressive and are very active swimmers so you would want to add the sohal last but I think it would be fine in a 300 gal.