Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

I never hear of anyone running a coralife super skimmer. Are they junk?
Old 04/20/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

skimmer shopping

Do any of the name brand skimmers have a collection cup that will not let the smell of the skimmate out? My wife has a super sense of smell and I am getting heat about the smell in our den. I have a 90 gal with a 20 gal sump and currently using a berlin classic with the turbo upgrade pump. I'm not looking to spend a small fortune but I need some help.
Old 04/20/2007, 05:26 PM
Spine Straightener

I just started running a coralife 65 super skimmer on my 29 this afternoon. It started to foam within two hours of powering it on. I think that I'm going to like it but time will tell. I wouldn't call it junk. I'd call a seaclone junk!

As far as the berlin skimmer is concerned, I have a turbo that I'm not thrilled with, I think that at least one of the models has a stackable unit to add carbon to which is supposed to reduce or eliminate the odor. You may want to check with Red Sea to see if it will work on the classic.

Another thing that you may be able to do is reduce the smell by skimming wetter.
Old 04/22/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I am using the octopus DW 250 and moded the air intake by increasing the air hole size with a dremel. It is skimming better than my friends euro-reef skimmer was and blows asm's construction out of the water.
Old 04/23/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

I have a prizm Deluxe on my 20 and love it. I've heard people complain about them but after the first 3 weeks it's been doing a great job. Oh, and I don't ever smell the skim mate the collection cup is pretty large and the lid fits well!

Now here's the problem: I have a 22 cube that I need to find a skimmer for. I would go with another Prizm but it's too wide with the filter I already have on the tank. Any suggestions for a small skimmer that works well?
Old 04/23/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrHank
As far as the berlin skimmer is concerned, I have a turbo that I'm not thrilled with, I think that at least one of the models has a stackable unit to add carbon to which is supposed to reduce or eliminate the odor. You may want to check with Red Sea to see if it will work on the classic.
Yea my classic has a vented cup on top of the shimmer cup that holds carbon.
Old 04/23/2007, 05:32 AM
NARC Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by dparson22
I never hear of anyone running a coralife super skimmer. Are they junk?
I've got a CSS on my 40g and really like it. The only complaint I hear about them is that they are prone to overflow, but I've not had any problems.
I think most of the talk on this thread has been about high quality skimmers for larger tanks; the CSS are good quality, inexpensive skimmers for small to medium tanks, IMO.
FWIW,
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.